Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: DOWN TO THE WIRE  (Read 24260 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:DOWN TO THE WIRE
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2006, 09:28:03 AM »

BUT - my all-time favorite book cover is on this paperback - I got an edition for 25 cents from the Scholastic Book Club when I was in the 5th grade.   Still have that copy, although it is held together with rubberbands.   :D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2006, 09:28:42 AM »

And that will be our Nearer my God to Thee page four dance!

DRGINNY - love the idea of making puzzles out of book covers!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2006, 09:36:37 AM »

Sorry to have been E & T.  I have not caught up.  The idiots from yesterday are back again and being more obnoxious and stupid than ever, making my life a living hell

I may have to kill somebody

That is all
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 09:37:19 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2006, 09:37:09 AM »

Did anyone read Ken Mandelbaum today?

He reviews a DVD of "Jerry Springer: The Opera' under the headline "DVD: Dip Me in Chocolate and Throw Me to the Lesbians."

It's a rather good review of the show on a British DVD.  Has anyone with a region-free player seen this?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2006, 09:38:53 AM »

A big welcome to dakotacelt!

I'm up and a bit groggy, but shall ungrog in time for the Linda Purl rehearsal.

Kevin Spirtas not only recommended Matt for the role, but he PLAYED the role at all our initial readings.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2006, 09:40:37 AM »

Sorry to have been E & T.  I have not caught up.  The idiots from yesterday are back again and being more obnoxious and stupid than ever, making my life a living hell

I may have to kill somebody

That is all

Who are these "idiots" and why do they have this power hold on you?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2006, 09:45:54 AM »

What's all the hullabaloo over cereal killers?

What's scary about that?  I've masticated a whole lot of cereal in my day!

All this talk about animal secretions--mastication--spoils my appetite!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2006, 09:48:32 AM »

Welcome to brand-spanking new DRs HJBJDJ & DakotaCelt.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »

Re:  Last 5 Years.  I was working with JRB cohort Brooks Ashmankas right after the cast recording had been released and I told Brooks how much I thought (and still think) Norbert sounds like him.  To which Brooks told me that JRB told him that he actually wrote a lot of Last 5's score with Brooks' voice in mind, but that JRB didn't think Brooks could play a Jew.  Not to mention someone tall.   ;D

Technology can be a miracle department:  In uploading stuff to my website, I have been going back through literally decades of old cassettes, some of which are really badly damaged.  I had two recordings of an old Howard Jones-esque (anyone remember him?) piece of mine called Latin Jazz, with tons of echo-ey synths and me singing in Latin (hence the title).  Unfortunately, like an idiot, I had not removed the protect-tab and had stupidly erased little sections from both copies through the years.  But this morning with a little time and effort and Cakewalk Pyro, I have been able to reconstruct a complete version, which really makes me happy.  I played it for DS Betsy and she could not tell where the edits were, which is truly amazing, because the synth echoes are really prominent throughout the whole piece.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2006, 10:09:55 AM »

TOD:

Hmmm...even though I'm basically a shallow person who often purchases a book based on its cover, nothing much is really coming to mind at the mo'.

I've always liked the cover of the paperback of THE MIRACLE WORKER that was published in the 60s.  It sort of looked like this except the whole cover was black:

-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2006, 10:15:34 AM »

DR Jennifer, I posted a link to an image of the new Aquaman the other day.  He was in the recent B'way revival of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2006, 10:22:02 AM »

I've heard about this a year ago, but it seems that this piece of bad news is now being verified:  www.computerworld.com
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »

I've heard about this a year ago, but it seems that this piece of bad news is now being verified:  www.computerworld.com

TYPical.

But a word of caution -- "pressed CDs" can go bad, too!

Ginny

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2006, 10:28:21 AM »

BUT - my all-time favorite book cover is on this paperback - I got an edition for 25 cents from the Scholastic Book Club when I was in the 5th grade.   Still have that copy, although it is held together with rubberbands.   :D

DR JRand - I bought the same book in 5th grade and still have it, I think!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2006, 10:42:21 AM »

So...I was over at eBay a while ago, looking for reel-to-reel products, and I spied this enticing offering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-reel-to-reel-soundtrack_W0QQitemZ8749457401QQcategoryZ154QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I want to laugh and laugh until I can laugh no more...and then laugh again.

But...some poor schlub thinks he has a great treasure that will bring him some big bucks.

Sad to say, the starting price should be about $5...since it's still sealed, that is.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2006, 10:58:55 AM »

Am I the only one here who thinks this sounds awesome?

Julia Murney and Jason Robert Brown to Star in One-Night-Only L.A. Reprise! Production of The Last 5 Years

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/7450

That's pretty cool!  A local community theater group is putting this on next month!  I have my season ticket.  I can't wait. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »

Shortly I shall be on my way to do a few errands, and then be on my way to rehearse with Miss Linda Purl for a few hours, after which I shall return.

George

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2006, 11:26:57 AM »

He reviews a DVD of "Jerry Springer: The Opera' under the headline "DVD: Dip Me in Chocolate and Throw Me to the Lesbians."

It's a rather good review of the show on a British DVD.  Has anyone with a region-free player seen this?

I have a region-code-free player and I've actually been thinking about getting this.  With this description, I just might have to! ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:27:32 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »

DR GINNY we must be twins.

George

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »

And finally, a picture of Anthony and me with our tour guide outside of the National Photography Museum in the Temple Bar area.

My goodness!  How tall is he?? ;) (and he's gorgeous, too!)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2006, 11:35:26 AM »

So...I was over at eBay a while ago, looking for reel-to-reel products, and I spied this enticing offering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-reel-to-reel-soundtrack_W0QQitemZ8749457401QQcategoryZ154QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I want to laugh and laugh until I can laugh no more...and then laugh again.

But...some poor schlub thinks he has a great treasure that will bring him some big bucks.

Sad to say, the starting price should be about $5...since it's still sealed, that is.

Looks like he's new, might be a typo, although I think he was selling the RARE!!  SOUND OF MUSIC SOUNDTRACK WITH JULIE ANDREWS!!!  last week.   ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2006, 11:40:29 AM »

I have not seen it yet.  But it was on Canadian Bravo last month and I taped it.  So I'll probably watch it sometime soon.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested.

http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=523530

Ben

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2006, 11:41:05 AM »

George said:

"My goodness!  How tall is he??  (and he's gorgeous, too!)"

When you are around Anthony and me you don't have to be really tall to be the tallest person in the room  ;) That being said, he is tall probably around 6 foot.

And yes, he was certainly nice to look at as we walked around Dublin.

George

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »

George, had mentioned earlier about libraries. I have some entertaining tales about them.  I have heard the most colorful and creative excuses for overdue books. One of the best ones is someone chatting on their phone, walking and not watching where they are going and they plow right into a closed door that is NOT locked....

Fortunately where I work, we don't charge fines for late materials.  And if it is considered "lost" and you pay for it, if you still find it and return it within a certain amount of time (maybe six months), you can get a refund!  So, no excuses are necessary! :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2006, 11:54:42 AM »

Welcome to DRs HJBJDJ & DakotaCelt.  Dakota, I live in Iowa.  I actually like lutefisk....    Please do let us know about what scene and what you look like in Fargo so we can find you.  That would be great fun

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2006, 11:54:43 AM »

I went to Blockbuster today and bought CLOSER and BEYOND THE SEA for just $12....for both.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2006, 11:55:13 AM »

We need MORE bookcovers!

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2006, 11:55:59 AM »

I'm STILL home. I think this should do it and I will be dancing down the halls at work just glad to be back there... I did venture out to the liquor store today to get empty boxes to start packing this weekend. Oh Joy!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2006, 12:04:30 PM »

Of course, I really like the Writer's Block, Rewind, and Kritzer Trilogy covers....if PRESSED....I would give Kritzer Time a slight edge.

I liked the covers of GONE WITH THE WIND that use illustrations from the movie.  I liked Jayne Mansfield on the cover of Hollywood Babylong but I don't like Elizabeth Taylor on the cover of Hollywood Babylon II.

Here is a novel & cover I like very much.  8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 12:05:49 PM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2006, 12:05:34 PM »

I'm STILL home. I think this should do it and I will be dancing down the halls at work just glad to be back there... I did venture out to the liquor store today to get empty boxes to start packing this weekend. Oh Joy!

Frances should have thought of that excuse when people noticed her car in front of Vickie's Liquors several times a week.  But then, again, how MANY times can you move?  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up