Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: CLIFF'S NOTES  (Read 21972 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:CLIFF'S NOTES
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2003, 11:06:27 PM »

Oh, and DR Sarah...

The Exorcist still freaks me out, and I can honestly say I've never sat through the whole movie.  And I'm kind of afraid to do so even at the ripe old age of 35.  I was most defnitely not old enough to get into a theatre to see it when it originally came out, but I remember the "adults" talking about it in hushed tones around the dinner table.  Coming from a devout Catholic family, the movie was a cause for "concern".  And my Catholic upbringing has/had always made me sensitive to "things" dealing with Satan, the Devil, etc.  "Horror movies" - at least the guts and gore types never truly scared me - grossed me out, yes, scared, no.  However, movies dealing with possession or hauntings did and still do some times.  *I remember not wanting to close my bedroom windows after seeing Amityville Horror for fear that I would see two red eyes looking back at me... And then there was that night I woke up and looked at my clock radio and it was 3:15.. !!!!  Oh, and The Omen series - at least the first one - was also particularly freaky.

And to make matters "worse"...  I went to a Catholic grade school, and one day in seventh grade, one of my classmates asked our teacher, a nun, if the "Exorcist" was a real thing.  -I think this was around the time that it was being shown on network television for the first and/or second time, and that's why it came up.  Well, we were told the basics of the story.  That it was based on a real incident.  That it did occur in DC, in Georgetown.  How God allows someone to be possessed.  That there are priests trained as exorcists...  And that it had happened not to a little girl, but to a little boy.  Needless to say, that little nugget of info stuck in my mind...  I didn't have nightmares or sleepless nights, but it did make me think.  I don't recall getting any real specifics, but Sr. Gregory did say that the movie made up a lot of the events.  Then some of the "big kids" started talking about the steps in Georgetown... And how the blood is supposedly still on the sidewalk... How they had all these problems on the set of the picture... The original set burned down...  etc., etc., etc...  *Wow, I even remember being "scared" of the copy of the book that my aunt had - the cover image was very spooky (to an 11-year old boy).

In other words, The Exorcist is a scary movie.

In happier news.. I think I'm no longer a Newbie!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2003, 11:07:11 PM »

Well.. Maybe now I'm not....

????
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #212 on: November 29, 2003, 11:11:48 PM »

Funny, I've never really loved Always either.  But I do love Mr. Berlin in general and I must tell you that being one of the first people to be allowed to go through his trunk was one of the biggest thrills of my life.

Bruce, that's pretty damn cool!  I just got "The Complete Lyrics of Irving Berlin" from the no-longer-in-existence Stage and Screen Book Club (formerly The Fireside Theater Book Club).  The list price is $65 ($100 Canadian) and they had it on sale for only $9.95!  I should have gotten two!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #213 on: November 29, 2003, 11:14:25 PM »

George...I never cared for Mr. Monotony because I found it...er...rather monotonous.  I actually dislike Always more.  What was that Berlin song that Groucho used to sing about the Devil telling his son to stay down where he belongs because he'll find more Hell on earth than he would down below?  

BK, I would love to hear some tales of the trunk sometime, particularly how you got to be one of the chosen firsts to go through it.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2003, 11:18:34 PM »

I always thought if you had taken the gore out of THE EXORCIST and shot it in  black and white, it would be a 40's Universal "B" horror film.  The scariest thing in it to me was the spinal tap.

Tomovoz

« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2003, 11:30:59 PM »

I watched the Exorcist when it was first released and walked out during the spinal tap segment. I returned. I thought the rest was just a mixture of funny and silly. I am not a Catholic! I thought the book was scarier than the film. I thought the end of "Rosemary's Baby" with the comments about the tail and the upside down cross was a joke too! I know there are fans here but the whole movie was ruined by the last scenes IMHO.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2003, 11:46:34 PM »

Good night guys. Have a beautiful Sunday.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2003, 11:52:41 PM »

Home from a very enjoyable production of On Golden Pond.  Mostly good performances (the daughter role was a bit forced, IMO), with a real standout from the gentleman playing Norman.  A truly wonderful delivery of the role that made the show well worth seeing.

After they strike their set in the morning, we spend the rest of the day building our A Christmas Carol set.  Could be a loooooooong day.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2003, 12:01:13 AM »

Well... I guess I'll have to The Exorcist a mature, grown up chance/viewing.  I'm pretty sure I'd be laughing at a lot of it - especially the low-techiness of the effects.  We'll see...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up