Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BELLY DANCING  (Read 25257 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BELLY DANCING
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 01:05:48 AM »

And one for Mahler.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 01:40:26 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!  Good Evening!
and
Good Morning!

-I think that about coves it!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 01:45:47 AM »

Greetings from the Terminal C Baggage Claim Area of the San Francisco International Airport!

*I didn't realize that this airport was a not a 24-hour "deal", like LAX and ATL.  I had figured with all the international flights... I guess I figured wrong.  The passenger terminals are closed, but there are still a few public areas that are "public".  So, I'm nestled here by the baggage carousels in a rather comfy chair.  My cell phone is recharging a couple feet away from me, and I'm accessing the internet via the T-Mobile Hot Spot network.  Whoopee!

*I'm still amazed that Dulles (IAD) does not have wireless internet access available in their passenger terminals.  I noticed this morning that they had even ripped out those sit-down booths where you could use a dial-up connection.  Get with the times, folks!

And as the custodial crew does their job...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 01:57:51 AM »

As DR elmore reported yesterday, I got bumped off my original flight.  Well, that was not exactly true... I actually got myself bumped off the flight.  -Yep, I'm fessin' up!  I ran up to the gate the minute after the closed the door and had just pushed away from the gate.  Arrrggghhh!!!  I had just missed the "flights close 10 minutes before departure" point.

Alas, I was running late.

I actually got up on time - 4:45am - but it just took me a while to get ready, to get out of the house.  I am just so not a morning person.  Even with all the packing and prep I did the night before, I didn't get in my car until 6:00am... And my flight was scheduled to leave at 7:00am... And since I was leaving from Dulles... That's a good 25-minute car ride away... And then I would have to go through security... And then ride those people movers to the terminal... And, of course, I was leaving from Gate D1... Which happens to be at the very end of the terminal... Ah, well...

It ended up working in my favor in a way...  The guy at the gate ended up rebooking me on the next flight out... For no fee...  And it was on a bigger plane... And he even upgraded my seating to "Plus" so I had more leg room...  And I ended up having a window seat... And the whole row (well, it was just a two-seat row) to myself!  *My original flight was almost sold out.  So...  No biggie... And the extra time also gave me a chance to grab a bite to eat, as well as calm down from the all the rushing and worrying I did to get to the airport "on time".

And the flight itself was fine.  However, I did have to deal with some horrible sinus pain issues once we started the descent.  I've had it before, but it had been a while, and since I've been sniffly...  OUCH!!  It really hurt for a bit.  I could even feel it in my teeth.  *I bought a mild decongestant for the return trip, and I hope I don't have to deal with the feeling of having an ice pic going through my sinus cavity.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2006, 02:05:44 AM »

And as for the Topic of Yesterday...

Encyclopedia Brown, The Hardy Boys... Did anyone else read "Alvin's Secret Code"?  A great kids mystery, and in the process of telling the story, the author revealed some various ciphers and codes.  It's stuck with me since reading it in the fourth grade.

Columbo, Mannix (wasn't he a detective?), Magnum P.I., The Hardy Boys (ah, Sean Cassidy and Parker Stevenson), Ironsides (always seemed to catch that on late night), Barnaby Jones (and I guess I had a crush on Mark Shera (JR Jones too!).  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 02:15:52 AM »

Back to San Francisco...

Well, might as well get it out of the way...  Here's the Food Report:

Lunch: Quizno's Sub - It wasn't exactly my choice to eat there, but a couple of the cast members were there, and it was right across the street from the theatre.  -And it was a good sub, so...

See's Candy - Amazing Walnut Chew Bar - they were giving out samples today, which happened to be full-size bars, so...  And I did buy a Scotchmallow Bar, two Peanut Brittle Bars, and two Nut Chew Bars for sometime later.  ;)

Richart Chocolates - Walked in and browsed... Walked out... But was VERY tempted.

Teuscher Chocolates - Walked in and browsed... Walked out...  Walked back in a few hours later to buy some of their signature Champagne Truffles for the Conductor and his crew here in SF.

Ghirardelli - Walked through the retail store...  Almost bought some stuff, but realized I can get Ghirardelli back home... And at cheaper prices, so...  However, I did end up in the ice cream parlor where I ordered their Foghorn Sundae which is basically their Chocolate Sundae - Chocolate Ice Cream, Chocolate Sauce (I opted for the Dark Hot Fudge), Raspberry Sauce, Whipped Cream and Chocolate Chips.  Very good.

Dinner at David's - A Jewish Deli in San Francisco.  Quite the meal, and quite the bargain too!  I got their daily special: freshly baked rye bread, a bowl of split pea soup, Chicken Paprikash (today's special), vegetables and mashed potatoes with brown gravy - all for $11.99!  And I added on a Doc Brown's Black Cherry Soda and a Prune Hamantasch to go.  *Oh, and they threw in a small slice of their Chocolate Mocha Cake as a "thank you".  :)

And besides the airplane food, that was about all I had to eat today, so... Not too bad... And since I walked.... And walked....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 02:20:53 AM »

After meeting the folks at the Curran, I walked over to Grant Ave...  I walked up Grant Ave to Chinatown... I wanted to do my Flower Drum Song tour... ;)  Lots of sights, lots of smells... And I picked up a package of x-rated fortune cookies...  -It's Chinese New Year this weekend...

Then I kept going up Grant...  Then I ended up heading up to Coit Hill/Tower...  Then back down...  Then over to Lombard Street - the crookedest street... Then down to Ghirardelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf...

Then I decided to take the Trolley Car back to Union Square...  Whew!

San Francisco really is quite the city, and I do hope to make it back again.  However, I think it would be good if the tourist maps included elevations and "steep grade" warnings.  I truly was a bit out of breath while talking with DRs Ron Pulliam and Jason.  *However, I probably would have been more out of breath if I had been working out and running the past two months.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2006, 02:22:11 AM »

Alas, I missed meeting up with both DR Matthew and DR Ron Pulliam.  It's all in the timing.  Hopefully, I'll be able to make it back here sometime to catch up with them in person - or if they happen to make it east sometime...  But their assitance and hints via e-mail and phone were most helpful.  Thank you, guys!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2006, 02:28:44 AM »

And then came Lestat...

I'm not really sure what to say right now.  And I'm not really sure what I can say right now, so...  However...

Everyone knew coming into this, that the San Francisco run would be one big preview period for the Broadway bow.  The show has undergone both major and minor changest since the first rehearsals in NYC, and even since the first performances here in San Francisco.

Thankfully, everyone is still of the spirit that the show is a still a work in progress, and that we're still in the process of creating the show.  That said...

I had read the reviews and heard reports (official and unofficial) about the show, and sort of knew what to expect.  It was what what I expected.  Lots of potential on that stage.  Lots.

It was very interesting gauging the audience reaction both at intermission and after the show.  Opinions ran the gamut...  Dreck... Amazing... Bland... Powerful... What the ??... I smell a Tony...

We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2006, 02:32:21 AM »

One positive side effect of all the changes - and one that directly affects me - is that the cast recording will now be done in New York City.  The original plan was to record the show out here the day after they close.  With the San Francisco pit musicians.  Well...  It looks like I'll be going into the studio for my first Broadway Cast Recording the next couple of weeks!

HOO and RAY!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2006, 02:33:05 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Is it really Friday?  Are you sure?

;)

...And the long day/night continues...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2006, 02:37:20 AM »

Well... The first leg of my journey back east begins boarding in about four hours...  I think I'm gonna go ahead and try to grab a few winks here in my comfy chair...  -As of right now, I've been up 24 hours, so...

I'm looking forward to DR Jason's visit to DC this weekend!  -And I guess that means I'll have to do some cleaning and change some linens when I get back home this afternoon - or whatever time of day my body feels like it is.  ;)  Thankfully, if my flight gets in on time, I'll have a good five hour window to take some breathing time, and if it's a little late, I'll still have a nice chunk of time before the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2006, 02:39:27 AM »

OH!  I love those "Heigh-Ho Mozart" and "Bibbidi-Bobbity-Bach" albums.  I haven't listened to them in a while, but they're fun.  Some of the arrangements are better than others, but, on they whole, they're a good listen.  -And they remind of those classical treatments of Christmas Carols and Beatles tunes by that string quartet who's name eludes me right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2006, 02:40:05 AM »

DR JRand - Remember, we must have a pic of you in your kurta too.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2006, 02:41:18 AM »

And, now.. I'm officially T-I-R-E-D-!-!-!

Goodnight.  Good Morning.

Catch you when I catch you.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2006, 04:32:19 AM »

Good morning, all!  This is a day fraught with activity, from 14th Street in the morning, to the NYPL Theatre Collection, to the home of the Fantastick Tom jones, to a belated Christmas visit with DR Ben and Anthony.  I have to wrap their gift before I head out.

DR Jose, another whirlwind visit.  It sounds is if you had a great time, and I'm so happy you made the trek.  Get back safely today.

TOD:
  DVD:  opera:  Hercles, Samson et Dalila, Hansel and Gretel
  CD:  My Grammy purchases are late this month so nothing new, Debbie Gravitte's Defying Gravity, Guy Haines, Babes in Toyland, something by Mozart, probably Le Nozze di Figaro
  VCR:  Ever-cheap, evergreen
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:09:05 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2006, 05:05:15 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY 250th BIRTHDAY, WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/move]

250 years and still the greatest!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:07:12 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2006, 05:06:27 AM »

Going away for the weekend so there will be nothing in the vcr or dvd. But there will be music in my car as I drive. I am sure there will be selections from the Bruce Kimmel Collection. I am thinking of going with the instrumetal division. Harvey Schmidt, Ennio Morriconne, Titanic, Superman, Godzilla, Cinema Romance, Out At the Movies and various Terry Trotter Trio recordings. Since I probably will go through at least 4 cds there at back; I have a wealth of material to choose from for the drive north that will take between 2-3 hours (Depending on traffic and how fast I drive.)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2006, 05:08:17 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAPPY 250th BIRTHDAY, WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/move]

250 years and still the greatest!

He doesn't look at day over 35!
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2006, 05:14:56 AM »

I'm looking forward to a visit from Dear Larry. We didn't get much chance to talk at Barrymore's.

I'm listening to the London cast recording of Little Me right now. I just listened to the Debbie Allen Sweet Charity. Not good, not bad, just blah. I also have my Gracie Fields CD.

Nothing in the hopper for VCR/DVD on the weekend but that may change. I must get back into the habit of riding the exercise bike. I slipped over the holidays and I haven't been consistent since we got back.

Ben

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2006, 05:15:15 AM »

Happy Birthday to Mr. Amadeus himself!

Ben

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2006, 05:16:14 AM »

And a happy birthday to former Dear Reader Music Guy (Lyn Larsen) one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Laura, will you and Kerry give him nice cake?

I hope at least Kerry hies his butt back here by Wednesday so we can wish him happy birthday in person.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 05:33:29 AM by Ben »

Michael

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2006, 05:17:54 AM »

BTW
I watched CSI last night. I am not a regular viewer, but it happend that Faye Dunnaway was a guest star.

What did she do to her face?? Way too much plastic surgery! Her face was so tight there were hardly any expression to it. She should age gracefully like her fellow guest star Anita Gillette who in my opinion looked a lot better and more natural.

Other guest stars were Scott Wilson and Jonathan Banks, both who I have not seen in a long time and did not realize they were roughly the same age as Miss Dunnaway and proudly look there age as well.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2006, 05:26:17 AM »

Good Morning!  Again!

Well...  Just waiting to board my flight to LAX... And then from LAX it's onto IAD.  I tried changing to a direct flight to Dulles, but they were all booked today, and, besides, the first flight out doesn't leave until a bit later, and gets in within just minutes of my flight from LAX.  Horse-racing, I guess. ;)

Alas, both flight segments are fully booked.  I hope everyone is sleepy and keeps the window shades drawn.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2006, 05:31:44 AM »

...And now that I've just finished an Airborne...

I'm still a little sniffly right now, but I think that has more to do with the chilly temps here at the airport than anything else.  Oh, and maybe perhaps the lady who sat in front of me at last night's performance of Lestat.  She must have bathed and shampooed her hair in her eau de parfum.  Sheesh!  Even the gentleman sitting two seats away from me asked, "Are you having trouble breathing?  There seems to be something in here that's making my throat close up."  Well... And when his wife sat down a few moments later, she confirmed the source of the "irritant".

Oh, and just in case the gay couple who sat to my right happen to be reading this...  "If you crinkle that goddamn m&m's wrapper one more time...?!?!?!??!!!!!!"   Arrrgghhh!

And the same goes for the lady behind me and her Werther's Originals!

Don't make me get all scourge-y on you!

>:(
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2006, 05:36:36 AM »

However, on the BART ride back from Union Square to the airport, I happened to chat a bit with two ladies.  They work downtown, and work late, and they've been hearing all the "buzz" about Lestat from audience members riding the BART back with them.  They hadn't seen the show itself, but they've been hearing lots of opinions.  They even asked for opinions from people holding programs.

Well... They're both mothers (with husbands and children), but they go the theatre a lot, and they make regular visits to New York City.  We talked about this and that.  Some gossip, so scandal.  And one of them actually knows a couple actresses that I've worked with and adore.  So...

After quite a lively exchange, we exchanged e-mail addresses, and I'm going to forward them the itinerary from the Food & Walking Tour as well as some "hints" for what to see this spring when they come to New York City.

-Oh, and it also turns out they think their friend, Charles, is perfect for me!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2006, 05:36:40 AM »

Michael mentioned, regarding CSI:

fellow guest star Anita Gillette

It wasn't this past year (2005) but the previous year (2004) when we were making gift bags for for BCEFA that Miss Gillette came to help out. What a charming and sweet woman. You're correct, Michael. She has aged gracefully and looks and sounds like a real person.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2006, 05:37:12 AM »

OK - Boarding is about to begin...

Until I'm back on Eastern Standard Time...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2006, 05:37:31 AM »

If this keeps up we will be on Page 3 before 9am!

Ben

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2006, 05:37:59 AM »

Well, I can't let it sit like so much fish!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up