Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ONLY TIME WILL TELL  (Read 24637 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ONLY TIME WILL TELL
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:12:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're still trying to erase the image of a gazelle wearing a jock strap, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - of course, only time will tell if they are on their way, and time's not talking.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 12:13:02 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ONLY TIME WILL TELL
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 12:13:29 AM »

And the word of the day is: CLAPTRAP!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:15:59 AM »

Has Ann caught up?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 12:22:48 AM »

I wonder what a gazelle would do on an icy road in ND...

It could be entertaining....

« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 12:31:31 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 12:58:05 AM »

I have a question that has nothing to do with today's Topic of the Day:  Does anyone play FreeCell?  I play it a lot and I usually play an individual game until I win.  I'll "restart" a game rather than just quit and play a completely different one.  Anyway, I have met my match.  Game # 7303.  I have not been able to beat win it.  I've played it more than 20 times and still can't figure it out.  My supervisor has tried a couple of times (I told him about it on Thursday) and he hasn't been able to win that particular game.

Anyone's mission (should anyone choose to accept it), is to play FreeCell Game # 7303 and let me know if anyone can win this game.  I've become obsessed!  I await any news and hints. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 12:59:41 AM »

And now, I must go to sleep and try to forget (if only for one night ;)) FreeCell Game # 7303.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 03:57:18 AM »

I don't know from FreeCell.  My personality is such that I have tried to avoid ALL computer games.  Bookworm taught me a lesson.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 03:59:27 AM »

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S....yes, Mr Buddy Ebsen was so VERY good in the part....  And I agree with today's notes (and 'most everyone else, I guess) that everyone but Mr Mickey Rooney is perfectly cast.  I am sure, however, he feels he is the HIGHLIGHT of the movie.

DRTOMovOZ - no, I don't have an X-rated version of Lords of Discipline...but I am sure one exists somewhere! :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 04:00:47 AM »

I liked the fairy tales of CINDERELLA and SLEEPING BEAUTY when I was growing up.  I was always afraid of THE THREE BILLY GOATS GRUFF....there was a troll under the bridge!

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST was another favorite.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 04:01:19 AM »

LOL derBRUCER - yes Escher just may have been the inspiration for the MAMBO GIRL sequence, now that you mention it!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 04:43:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  I dreamed I was orchestrating a Kander & Ebb show last night, but that's all I recall of it.  Today I have a trip to Toyland and then a trip over to the Frank Loesser office to check out some thngs for the City Opera production of THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.  After that, laundry:  a day fraught with incident.

TOD:
   I think my favorite folktale as a child was "Hansel and Gretel," mostly because of my fixation with the 1954 stop-motion film with a wonderful cast doing the speaking roles:  Anna Russell, Mildred Dunnock, Frank Rogier, etc.
   I was also crazy about Greek and Roman mythology, read child's versions of ILIAD and ODYSSEY many times as well as Hawthorne's "The Wonder Book" and "Tanglewood Tales," which I still prefer to his "adult" novels.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 04:52:27 AM »

FJL, I have a tax-related question for you.

You may not be able to answer but since you're in that business I wonder if you have any idea why the state of New York has decided my W-2 forms are not good enough to send in with my tax return. Which pencil pusher at some desk in Albany (or was it the less than intelligent legislators) decided that I now have to fill out a form transferring the very information listed on my W-2 form, wasting paper and adding time to the preparation of my taxes. I realize I only have to fill out one section of the form since I only have one W-2 but I still have to waste time filling out the form and it seems that I will have to continue this idiotic process for years to come. Why am I paying taxes for stupidity such as this???

This, by the way, is not directed at you, FJL, it's just a little early morning rant before I go off to push my own pencil (or pen as it were).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 06:12:45 AM »

TOD:

Like DR Elmore, Handel and Gretel was also a favorite of mine, almost to the point of fixation.  I was fascinated with this story and I collected a number of different story books that told the tale.

I also liked Pinnochio, particularly the Disney movie.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 06:17:21 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today is the first day of my first 5-day work week since the week of December 5.  Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

TOD - Disney's Cinderella and a TV version of Beauty and the Beast, starring a grown-up Shirley Temple.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 06:17:28 AM »

More end of days weather here in Philly--when I came into work this morning, there was clear visibility from my office window.  But within the past ten minutes or so, a dense fog bank crept into the city and I can now barely see beyond the boulevard that runs along our building.  

It reminds me of Stephen King's The Myst.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 06:24:42 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!

...And my car is now doubled-parked with everyone else's until about 10:30... So until then...

I read.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 06:25:34 AM »

...And then I'll most likely get a few more winks of sleep... But, again... Until then...

I read.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 06:26:09 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today is the first day of my first 5-day work week since the week of December 5.  Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

TOD - Disney's Cinderella and a TV version of Beauty and the Beast, starring a grown-up Shirley Temple.

Speaking of Shirley Temple, I spotted the brief clip of her Storybook Theatre show on the SAG Awards last night and I was dazzled by the bright and vivid color.  I would love to see an entire episode.  I recall this show was discussed here before.  Does anyone know if it's available on DVD?
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 06:28:38 AM »

...And post.

As for favorite Fairy Tales...  Hmm...

"Hansel and Gretel", "Snow White"... But the stories that I seemed to be fixated on were Mother Goose rhymes and Aesop's fables.

...But as I continue to wake up this morning, maybe more of my memory will be jogged.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 06:31:47 AM »

DR Jose - I'm glad to see that you're safely in NYC.  Did you hear from Jason last night that he got home OK?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 06:38:48 AM »

DR Jose - I'm glad to see that you're safely in NYC.  Did you hear from Jason last night that he got home OK?

Good Morning, Ginny!

Yes, Jason did make it back to his place safe and sound.  Of course, as soon as he stepped down into the subway station, a train was pulling away, so he had about a 20 minutes wait until he make the final part of his trek home.  And, hopefully, he's on the subway back to his office at MTI as I type.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2006, 06:40:36 AM »

OH!

DR Ginny - "Mission Cincinnati"... Keep your eyes on your e-mail box over the next 48 hours.

:)

*And why can't Cincinnati be spelled with one "n" and two "t"s?!?!!?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2006, 06:49:51 AM »

DR Jose - Cincinnati's name is from the Society of the Cincinnatus, which took it's name from:

"Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus, born 519?, BC:  Roman statesman who gained fame for his selfless devotion to the republic in times of crisis and for giving up the reins of power when the crisis was over. Although he was a historical figure, his career has been much embellished by legend...."  (Encyclopedia Britannica online)

Blame his parents!

Thank you for your continued help, by the way.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 06:53:34 AM »

TOD: Definately, The Ugly Duckling.  The gayest tale of them all.

In spite of what Bettleheim has to say about it (he found the story a bore, and never did get the gay side of the story - his loss).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 06:54:15 AM »

My favorite fairy tale rendition as a kid was the Gene Kelly version of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK, with the undervalued Bobby Riha as Jack.  I still remember loving the theme song about "A tiny bit of faith and a large amount of hope, and vice-a versa."

Does HR PUFNSTUF count as something of a fairy tale?  That was a fave too.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 07:06:50 AM »

Today is National Bubble Wrap Day!

(Yeah, like any of us really need an excuse.   ::))
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 07:10:58 AM »

Today is National Bubble Wrap Day!

(Yeah, like any of us really need an excuse.   ::))

So, let's all pop some bubble wrap:

www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/popnow.shtml

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 07:16:01 AM »

DR Jose - Cincinnati's name is from the Society of the Cincinnatus, which took it's name from:

"Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus, born 519?, BC:  Roman statesman who gained fame for his selfless devotion to the republic in times of crisis and for giving up the reins of power when the crisis was over. Although he was a historical figure, his career has been much embellished by legend...."  (Encyclopedia Britannica online)

Blame his parents!

Thank you for your continued help, by the way.

Ah... Now it all makes sense...  :P

And, You're Very Welcome.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2006, 07:16:20 AM »

OK...

Time for me to move my car...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2006, 07:24:12 AM »

Statistical studies have determined that the last post on each page is the least read.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up