Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ONLY TIME WILL TELL  (Read 24675 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:ONLY TIME WILL TELL
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2006, 07:26:07 AM »

...While the top-most posts are the most widely read on any given page.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2006, 07:28:41 AM »

Speaking of Shirley Temple, I spotted the brief clip of her Storybook Theatre show on the SAG Awards last night and I was dazzled by the bright and vivid color.  I would love to see an entire episode.  I recall this show was discussed here before.  Does anyone know if it's available on DVD?

I agree completely, DR Dan. I saw that clip and was astonished by the clarity and richness of color. I watched SHIRLEY TEMPLE'S STORYBOOK religiously, but we only had a black and white set then, so I never saw the episodes in color and would LOVE to see them now. I have a feeling they'd hold up beautifully. Some of them were outstanding examples of fairy tale representations. I particularly remember "The Little Lame Prince."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2006, 07:29:10 AM »

Happily Ever After Page Two Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2006, 07:30:01 AM »

Good morning!

Gray here but going to be in the mid-60s today. It wasn't even very cold when I stpped out to get the newspaper this morning. Very mild day but supposed to be colder tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2006, 07:31:35 AM »

If PETER PAN counts as a fairy tale (rather than a fantasy), then it's my favorite. For all of my childhood, it was the one story (and the Disney film) that I dreamed about and longed to be a part of.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2006, 07:31:54 AM »

How big a slut was he/she?

He/She was such a slut that her/his nickname was "Clap trap."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2006, 07:32:40 AM »

I'm catching up with yesterday's posts.

I'm up to "sugarless asparagus."

And, by the by, the full name I gave Peggy was...

Peggy Cassandra Gooch.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2006, 07:33:52 AM »

Thanks for the update on BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. I won't be buying it. Actually, I think the first quarter of the old DVD was dirty, grainy, and ugly, but I remember that it sort of cleared up and got better as it ran. Maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly, but I think I'll just keep what I've got for now.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2006, 07:34:27 AM »

You mean "claptrap" isn't what they call a police sting in the tenderloin district?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2006, 07:37:14 AM »

I agree completely, DR Dan. I saw that clip and was astonished by the clarity and richness of color. I watched SHIRLEY TEMPLE'S STORYBOOK religiously, but we only had a black and white set then, so I never saw the episodes in color and would LOVE to see them now. I have a feeling they'd hold up beautifully. Some of them were outstanding examples of fairy tale representations. I particularly remember "The Little Lame Prince."

The show ran from 1958-1960...and during those years, I know I didn't know anyone who had ever seen a color TV.

I know the process had been around since the early 1950s, but few shows shot anything in color until the 1960s.

What great news that the Storybook Theater was done in color...it ought to do well on DVD should anyone ever release the episodes.  A few were issued on VHS, but only a few.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2006, 07:38:42 AM »

You mean "claptrap" isn't what they call a police sting in the tenderloin district?

Or a Fire Island dance club?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2006, 07:43:11 AM »

SIDNEY:  (Slamming down a manuscript)  "Claptrap".  A thriller in two
acts.  One set.  Five characters.  
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2006, 07:58:45 AM »

Ben - New York has been a major pain for tax preparers this year.  We've been working  on corporate returns and some partnership returns and they've been giving the company that creates the software such problems with getting their forms approved, causing copious headaches and delays.  Your rant is understood.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2006, 08:04:08 AM »

The show ran from 1958-1960...and during those years, I know I didn't know anyone who had ever seen a color TV.

I know the process had been around since the early 1950s, but few shows shot anything in color until the 1960s.

What great news that the Storybook Theater was done in color...it ought to do well on DVD should anyone ever release the episodes.  A few were issued on VHS, but only a few.

The lady up the street from us had a color TV (an RCA, naturally), and we would go there and watch THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR when something unusual was coming on or BONANZA occasionally. She loved having company as she lived alone. She'd serve cookies and Kool-Aid to us and was very, very sweet.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2006, 08:05:23 AM »

Funny that some syndicated shows with low budgets like SUPERMAN, THE LONE RANGER, and THE CISCO KID shot many of their seasons in color in the mid to late 1950s.

I think one of the selling points of SHIRLEY TEMPLE'S STORYBOOK was that the fairy tales were in color, not than most of the country could see them that way.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:07:50 AM by Matt H. »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2006, 08:07:47 AM »

Der Brucer is watching Graze Anatomy, which he recorded last night.  From what I can tell, without watching but just listening from a distance, all those fine young cannibals are outside some building chanting "Less Filling/Tastes Great."  Television has just gotten too wierd, if you ask me.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2006, 08:10:02 AM »

Well, lo and behold, the gray clouds have cleared up and we've put on a happy face (a BYE BYE BIRDIE reference).

The sun is now out and the skies are very blue with just some wisps of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2006, 08:13:27 AM »

Terribly sad news. The playwright, Wendy Wasserstein has passed away from lymphoma at only 55 years of age. She will be missed. I didn't know her but I saw many of her plays and, IMHO, she was a wonderful artist.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:14:54 AM by Ben »

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2006, 08:41:01 AM »

DR George.. DP Colin managed the Freecell in six tries!  He has done over 5000 of them!
The secret is to get to the red Jack in column three and to avoid the obvious moves at the beginning.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2006, 08:43:10 AM »

Terribly sad news. The playwright, Wendy Wasserstein has passed away from lymphoma at only 55 years of age. She will be missed. I didn't know her but I saw many of her plays and, IMHO, she was a wonderful artist.

That is indeed sad news.  Ms. Wasserstein was a frequent visitor to DC and to Arena Stage in particular.  She was in attendance at many an opening night, and she sent her regrets this past December for not being able to make it to the opening of Damn Yankees.  She was also an artistic ally and dear friend of Arena's Artistic Director, Molly Smith.  I'm sure Molly and Arena will be doing something to honor her memory and artistic contributions.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2006, 08:43:42 AM »

Favourite "Fairy Story" - Hansel & Gretel. I think I liked the tension and fear!! My sister hated "The Ugly Duckling".
I like "The Thief Of Always" (Clive Barker) which is very Bros Grimm.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2006, 08:45:41 AM »

Such sad news about Wendy Wasserstein.  I was stage manager for a production of THE HEIDI CHRONICLES, so listened to her words for MANY weeks and grew very fond of her characters....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2006, 08:47:27 AM »

DRTOMovOZ - no, I don't have an X-rated version of Lords of Discipline...but I am sure one exists somewhere! :)
'Twas not my comment DR JRand. Think Delaware. (not Perry Como).
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2006, 08:50:17 AM »

A few episodes of Shirley's Storybook Theatre seem to be available on the Collectors' market but only on video and quite PRICEY!

Tomovoz

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2006, 08:50:41 AM »

Spooky! I had not read any of the posts before I mentioned Hansel & Gretel and The Ugly Ducking.
mmmmm.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2006, 08:55:30 AM »

It's nearly 4.00am.  I blame Jose. Back to bed I go.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2006, 09:07:47 AM »

Warm for January here.

But not QUITE June in January.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2006, 09:12:06 AM »

Prior to my switching to the Mac, I played Free Cell incessantly, every day, thousands of games - I mostly won.  I was surprised to find that the Mac had no games.  I did try one of the versions I found online but it kept freezing AOL - so maybe I'll try finding one and playing it via IE or Safari.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2006, 09:12:42 AM »

And, of course, Free Cell is mentioned in the first chapter of Rewind.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2006, 09:19:48 AM »

Heading out in a bit to have lunch with best friend John. Looking forward to that as a usual Monday ritual.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up