Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PITHY POSTS  (Read 23567 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PITHY POSTS
« on: February 03, 2006, 12:16:11 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have filled you with pith, and now it is time for you to post until they pithy cows come pithily home.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 12:12:55 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PITHY POSTS
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 12:18:36 AM »

And the word of the day is: VARIORUM!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 12:30:02 AM »

Is that an alcoholic preparation for rubbing on aching varicose veins?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 12:35:16 AM »

TOTD:
CDs (waiting to be played) Cast recordings of "Billy Elliot" and "Yours Anne" (The Anne Frank musical)
DVD: "Felicity - an American Girl Adventure".

vinyl:  Jose Jimenez in space.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 12:36:01 AM »

Bk,

I just got done looking at the revised site for Deceit....

That one picture Matt is CREEPY!!! Reminds  me of his role as Stephen Haver ..... Nice pics

Enjoyed the pics... I was pleasantly surprised to see Julie Pinson... Billy Warlock and Suzanne Rogers did not surprise me. Suzanne used to be a Rockette at Radio City Music Hall. Nice to see Staci Greason again. Steve Blackwood is a hoot....  Was surprised not to see Missy Reeves there but perhaps she was there another day...

I look forward to seeing DR DRLaura's account of the evening....

for others who want to see

http://www.deceittheplay.com
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 12:37:57 AM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 12:37:47 AM »

Has Ann caught up?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 12:41:24 AM »

TOD:

In CD player I have the score to movie Michael Collins, Benny Goodman and Savage Garden.... I like to mix it up a bit at times :)

DVD player I have Mona Lisa Smile
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ben

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 04:30:07 AM »

I am currently listening to WMKV. At home we have the delights of Barbara Cook from 1960-1965 waiting in the DVD. We also have a busy weekend ahead. One of Anthony's cousins has just graduated. She now has a degree in Special Education and is teaching at a school near her home (on the UWS, that's Upper West Side in New York speak). She is having a celebration on Sunday in honor of her big achievement.

I don't know what I'll be listening to throughout the day. I'll be at AccuRadio at some point. I will most likely listen to Friday Night is Music Night on BBC 2 at 2:30pm. At 4pm I will head home for the weekend.

Signing off for now. That is all.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 04:31:48 AM »

My VARIORUM of Shakespeare was well-thumbed when I was in University and also when I was part of a Shakespeare reading group in 1983. I don't refer to it as much anymore although I should. Nothing like a good romp through the Bard to sharpen your senses.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 05:45:13 AM »

Re: last night's episode of Survivor.

I was disappointed with who they voted off.  They should definitely have gotten rid of the weakest (the black woman, Cerie).  I will never understand why people vote off the strongest at the beginning. Those women are stupid. and will lose every challenge.

Oh, what I wanted to say last night was re: Exile Island.  I love the twist with the idol.  If you find it, you can save it and use it AFTER THE VOTE HAS TAKEN PLACE.  And if you are the one voted out, you can produce the idol, take yourself off the block. But there is no other vote. Whoever got the next amount of votes is gone.  So basically if everyone voted for you, and you voted for person X, then you and you alone will decide who is gone.  Totally crazy!

Yep, DR MBarnum, because there are only 4 per tribe (older men, older women, younger men, younger women) it is so much easier to get to know the players.

So far my favorites are three of the younger women (not the one who made the heart around the turtle). I like danielle (the athlete who ran the first challenge), misty (the one stuck on exile), and sally (?) the blonde (the social worker).

So far most of the young men seem dumb. Not crazy about any of the older men. Do not like the smoker guy.  The astronaut is okay.  Not crazy about any of the older women. The only one I sort of like is the pink one who ran the first race.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 05:49:53 AM »

DR Matt posted the photo last week.

I thought of this caption

Thumper says:

"God, I wish I knew how to quit you!"
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 06:14:28 AM »

Oy!  Good morning, all!  I slept quite late and now I'm totally off schedule.  The only thing certain at the moment is the NYPL at noon.

I need a new book; I finished SISTER CARRIE last night, and I enjoyed it quite a lot.  As a character, I found Carrie Meeber's rise from counry girl to Broadway star a bit surprising given the general passivity of her character; Mabel Barrison of BABES IN TOYLAND, who was about the same age, was a total maneater and manipulator hellbent on stardom or financial security. I would suspect the moral climate of 1901 made the chorus girl Lola's character less promiscuous than a lot of the role models; in Zola's NANA the Madame shows up backstage to give the girls their assignations after performance and in 1903 Chicago, seven chorus girls in BABES were asked to account for their wealth on $15 a week.  I found Hurstwood's decline and suicide very tragic and real.  The descriptions of Chicago and New York around 1890 were wonderful.

TOD:
CD:  Jason Graae, Shauna Hicks & Jeff Harnar, Babes in Toyland, Debbie Gravitte, Guy Haines, Bach Cello Suites, Oberon
DVD:  L'Auberge Espagnole, Gidget
VCR:  Three Guesses
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 06:40:47 AM »

Oh my gosh- Joe Church got stabbed??  I had some rather interesting dealings with him, but I hope he's okay.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 06:41:22 AM »

I am feeling considerably better this morning.  Thanks to tylenol cold medication.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 06:54:18 AM »

media check:

iPod:  It's Bette Midler day!  I realized that I only had one song of hers--"Beast of Burden"  loaded on myPod, so I was going to upload her first four recordings.  But this morning I couldn't find my copies of her first two recordings in my CD library, so now I'm listening to her eccentric SONGS FOR THE NEW DEPRESSION--I love the collection of songs on this one.  Her LIVE AT LAST will follow.

Tivo:  CACTUS FLOWER and THE CATERED AFFAIR
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 07:00:45 AM »

Glad you are feeling better TPunk!

MBarnum

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 07:04:10 AM »

Media check:

CD: DIL DOL GIYA by Harbhajan Mann
       DANCE INDIA DANCE variouis artists

DVD: THE IDIOT starring Toshiro Mifune
         THE BIG COMBO if it arrives today via Netflix

VHS: Nothing at this time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 07:06:13 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  A little earlier than expected, but what can you do?  

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 07:11:12 AM »

Media check:

Probably will be another Sarah Brightman/Hooked on Classics day on the iPod (now there's a combination you don't see every day!)

DVD - The first seasion of Mary Tyler Moore

Ben

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 07:12:20 AM »

VHS: Nothing at this time.

I'm sure Mr. Moore has some classic material he could loan you for the empty VCR  ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 07:13:54 AM »

Good morning!

We've got gray skies here but no rain yet. I assume it's coming if not today then surely tomorrow. But the temps are to be mid to high 60s, so I can't complain. Anything to keep that blasted natural gas furnace from flipping on every five minutes and costing me a fortune.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 07:16:44 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - FADE OUT FADE IN (OBC)

DVD - ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN - Season 2 disc 4
          MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW - Season 3, disc 1
          PINKY

DVR - last night's SMALLVILLE
          last night's CSI
          last night's THE OFFICE
          THE SINGING DETECTIVE (Robert Downey, Jr.)

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 07:20:59 AM »

I love watching MY NAME IS BARBRA for sure, and then I love listening to the two recorded versions which contain additional material. What a brilliant and unique artist she was!

Like bk, I am not a great fan now; I think she frittered her big star years away on vanity projects (especially in film) though she made one or two really excellent, challenging choices (UP THE SANDBOX, YENTL both flawed works but interesting to watch nevertheless).

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 07:28:18 AM »

Yes, glad to read of your partial recovery, DR TPunk. I started feeling a little puny myself last night, but sleep seems to have put whatever was trying to hook me off for the time being at least.

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 07:33:32 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Today marks the end of my first 5-day work week since the week of Dec. 5.  I'm exhausted and really ready for a 3-day weekend.

TOD - CD (car) - Debbie Gravitte's Defying Gravity (thanks, DR elmore!), Susan Egan's Coffee House, Wicked.

iPod (right now) - Wynton Marsalis In Gabriel's Garden

DVD - ?

VCR - ?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2006, 07:40:38 AM »

I'm sure Mr. Moore has some classic material he could loan you for the empty VCR  ;)

Don't encourage him! He sends me enough of his cast offs as it is!

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 07:48:27 AM »

Well, I need to head downstairs now and start getting ready for my lunch date with the fella.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 07:55:48 AM »

Here is the newly-minted logo for the community reading program for which I trained 35 discussion leaders this week:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 07:57:44 AM »

I think I'm going to do something I haven't done in years--read the latest Stephen King book.  From what a few people have told me, CELL is a return to form for King and it's a relatively short read, at that.  And since I have a 20% off coupon for Barnes & Nobel burning in my pocket...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 08:04:45 AM »

Here's a side topic for everyone:  what are your favorite live recordings?

I'm listening to Bette Midler's LIVE AT LAST and it's a joy ride!  Another favorite was last year's Green Day release BULLET IN A BIBLE, which was one of the most exciting recordings I've ever heard.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up