Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS  (Read 21419 times)

Jed

Re:THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2003, 12:43:01 PM »

Thanks to DR Jed I shall now book into the nursing home. You could have at least mentioned heartthrobs that were in their fifties like quite a few of us dear readers. Isn't there a Mrs Robinson out there somewhere? Catherine Deneuve still has it.

Well, in that case, Catherine Deneuve certainly, yes.  And Susan Sarandon, as well.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2003, 12:44:04 PM »

TCB,  I was the one who said he knew Denny Miller.  I just got through reading a book he's written...an anecdotal memoir...so I can write a blurb for it.  What with him and BK, I'm guess I've entered my blurb-writing period.

I also worked twice with another of your heart throbs, James Drury...in THE RAINMAKER and ONCE MORE WITH FEELING.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2003, 12:46:09 PM »

TCB,  I was the one who said he knew Denny Miller.  I just got through reading a book he's written...an anecdotal memoir...so I can write a blurb for it.  What with him and BK, I'm guess I've entered my blurb-writing period.

This would be, then, your BLURBAGE!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2003, 12:46:58 PM »

On a less frivolous note, I went to see my new shrink today.  (A necessity, since he's the one writing the scrip for the meds.)  Nice fellow, I like him.  But it seems strange to have a shrink who is clearly younger than myself!

And I'm clearly going to have to get back to writing, since his reaction to my telling the general outline of my life story was "This would make a good book!"

I’m happy you found someone you like and wholeheartedly agree you should get back to writing.  I miss your stories.

I am living in my 9th home, 8th location.  Moving can be very difficult and discouraging at times, even moves you have looked forward too.  They are great at attacking one’s self esteem and confidence.  I learned to give myself, if I didn’t move before then, two years to truly feel at home.  If it happened sooner, all the better.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2003, 12:50:34 PM »

Ron.. with all do respect. There is no US v. THEM. There just is what is.  How are they trying to be snarky at all times? I'm curious....
And snarky is as snarky does...

Well it sure does read that way sometimes...even in your humorous "example."

And the "them" is those folks who take potshots at "us" anyway.

Sorry if you're offended, but I was also trying to be humorous.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 12:56:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2003, 12:56:43 PM »

Yes, broadwayworld has begun a journal.  I said it when we started Juliana's Journal that we would be imitated within weeks and there are now three or four show journals online.  It's good to be the leader, and I'm happy to show these people the way.  They should feel free to come here and usurp all of our special features (oops, they already have).  Yes, indeedy.

I don't read broadwayworld often.  But Ray Mcleod (who I know from The Wild Party) has written for broadwayworld for while, hasn't he? So having him write his thoughts in a journal isn't that different than what he was doing there before.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2003, 12:59:06 PM »

Ron, I was about to name Ricky Nelson.  I had forgotten about Robert Horton, very good choice.

Jose, Gene Kelly was high on my list.

Other heat throbs were Ed Burns and Michael Landon.  I had a thing for Clint Eastwood in Rawhide but never after that.  I’m sure I will remember more names later.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2003, 01:01:10 PM »

True DR Jane - and how could the model look sew-fisty-kated rolling out bunkbeds?  She barely could when she brought out the wheelchair?

How about the hammocks?  Funny images are running through my mind. :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2003, 01:01:37 PM »

I am too old to remember or it is too early in the morning here (where we spell like Canadians) but  remember that the only Western I would watch (other than "Wagon Train" for RH) was "Tombstone Territory" and now I can't remember the name of the star. Help!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2003, 01:03:47 PM »

Oh, Jennifer.  We had the first online journal at a website like this, written by someone in a show - period, end of story.  All who followed saw what we'd done.  Period end of story.  And yes, it bemuses me, and yes it bemuses me.

And Craig, I think you know what Ron meant, really I do.  It's not an us vs. them - it's that the people who post on other boards ARE snarky a lot of the time, and a lot of the time it's just for snarkiness sake.  You, above all, should know this to be true.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2003, 01:04:08 PM »

Furthermore, I DID invent fire.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2003, 01:04:21 PM »

Ron.  Noted...  I believe there is a difference between BWW.COM taking pot shots and posters on the message board taking pot shots. Your humorous post (semantically) implied that the website was doing the potshotting, not its users. Just sayin...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2003, 01:06:00 PM »

I am too old to remember or it is too early in the morning here (where we spell like Canadians) but  remember that the only Western I would watch (other than "Wagon Train" for RH) was "Tombstone Territory" and now I can't remember the name of the star. Help!

PAT CONWAY?

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2003, 01:06:18 PM »

Oh and I agree Danise that picture is wonderful. Made me smile!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2003, 01:07:20 PM »

I've been to Broadway Message Board...and there are some decent, intelligent, knowledgeable contributors...

Someone should lead them to the "light" that is HHW.com

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2003, 01:13:26 PM »

Oh, Jennifer.  We had the first online journal at a website like this, written by someone in a show - period, end of story.  All who followed saw what we'd done.  Period end of story.  And yes, it bemuses me, and yes it bemuses me.

Hey, I did not say that you were or weren't the first. I love Juliana's journal.  But I don't think you should act upset if others follow you. It was bound to happen.  It just means you had a good idea.

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2003, 01:13:46 PM »

Thanks Ron. My reason for watching TT was Mr Conway. Some years later I used to watch a TV show (something about a Family but I can't remember the title) just to see the wonderful Brian Keith. I always thought Mr Keith should have been cast in "The Winds Of War" with Polly Bergen instead of Robert Mitchum. (No I don't mean that Polly should have played the Robert Mitchum role - it's just early here OK)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 01:15:19 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2003, 01:15:01 PM »

Furthermore, I DID invent fire.

LOL!  Thank you for a good laugh, BK!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2003, 01:17:40 PM »

Bruce-

"We had the first online journal at a website like this"

Aha! The "problem" is that there IS no website like this. So in a matter of speaking, you will always be right when you use this way of measuring...

and " All who followed saw what we'd done"

That's not true either. I know for a fact that Ray has never heard nor seen this site and he was the one that kept a journal during DOTV and now this and gave it to Rob at BWW.

So.. again.. Just saying (bemusedly)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2003, 01:18:22 PM »

I think DR Jane has coined a new word term that should come into wide usage:

HEAT THROB!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2003, 01:18:29 PM »

Thanks Ron. My reason for watching TT was Mr Conway. Some years later I used to watch a TV show (something about a Family but I can't remember the title) just to see the wonderful Brian Keith.

Was that "A Family Affair" with Keith as "Uncle Bill", Sebastian Cabot as "Mr. French", a teenaged blonde-haired girl called Sissy and two "adorable" tykes named Jody and Buffy???

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 01:19:08 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2003, 01:20:42 PM »

DOTV?

Is that Department of Theatrical Vehicles?

Daughters of TransVestites?

Or a play on VOTD?

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2003, 01:21:36 PM »

Dance of the Vampires... where have you been Dear Ron?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2003, 01:24:28 PM »

Okay, let me be specific: No other theater-oriented website (of which I think we are one) ever had a published online journal by someone in a show before ours.  Unless you are saying that a DOTV journal, called a journal, was published on broadway.com.  Sorry, you can't take that away from me.  You know it, I know it, and you can prattle till the cows come home, but I'm afraid these others are "flattering" us.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2003, 01:29:17 PM »

I have to confess that I have ZIEGFELD GIRL on laserdisc, and it's one of my least watched Garland films. She's wonderful, of course, and the production is grand, but Heddy, as beautiful as she is, is a lump, and her story just drags things out. The film is too long, and I blame her!

Roger Edens wrote "Minnie from Trinidad" that Garland sings so spectacularly, I believe. Here's a surprise: ZIEGFELD GIRL is NOT an Arthur Freed production. Pandro Berman produced it!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2003, 01:35:24 PM »

Indeed it was Ron. "A Family Affair". Thanks. I read somewhere that Jody was played by teen star of later years "Leif Garrett" but was never sure if this was true.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2003, 01:38:39 PM »

I need dolls, man.  No, no, they can't take that away from me.  

I'm now on a quest to find that Patty sings Valley of the Dolls album - no copies on eBay at the mo.

Tomovoz

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2003, 01:40:35 PM »

Leif was someone called "Bobby Granger" in "A Family Affair". It's good to comment and research my own musings.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2003, 01:40:51 PM »

No sooner said than done. Here's TOMBSTONE TERRITORY and the delectable Mr. Conway.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2003, 01:41:03 PM »

MR BK you can download those songs from the internet!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up