Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: AUTHOR'S NOTE  (Read 20930 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:AUTHOR'S NOTE
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2003, 02:50:55 PM »

I emailed "congrats" to Ilene this morning and discovered that she had no idea she had been nominated!  Needless to say, she was THRILLED!!!   Let's all wish her the best and hope she brings come the gold!

Who is she up against?

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2003, 02:51:30 PM »

Charles-

I woudl agree with you.. except that it seems to be one of Dion's trademark looks as he's donned a similar look at least for the last 20 years that I have seen him at appearances, and or just in person.  Please note that DION was not here for any publicity..  The company I work for is owned by a guy that does television production and DION was taping part of a documentary.... After the taping, they came downstairs and hung out for a bit...

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2003, 02:55:11 PM »

DR TCB --    I thought I should let you know that the Bijou has finished their run of "Intolerance" and will be showing "Ella Cinders" with Miss Coleen Moore starting this next week.  Organ score by Ann Leaf at the Wurlitzer.

MusicGuy

« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2003, 02:57:51 PM »

DR WEL --    I too avoided seeing any of the parts of "Angels In America" for a long time.  When I finally went (to support a friend in the cast) I was blown away by how all of my preconcieved ideas about the show were wrong.  I was also very surprised by how much humor is in the script, considering some pretty heavy themes to deal with.

I really would recommend it for you and Ray.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2003, 02:58:32 PM »

It's a nasty, ugly day here in Oakland CA....rainy, misty, dark, gloomy, cold and on top of that, my stomach is cranky.

HHW does cheer me up from time to time, though.

: )

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2003, 02:58:50 PM »

DR TCB --    I thought I should let you know that the Bijou has finished their run of "Intolerance" and will be showing "Ella Cinders" with Miss Coleen Moore starting this next week.  Organ score by Ann Leaf at the Wurlitzer.

Thank you, MusicGuy, for the news.  I hear that Miss Moore is supposed to be an up and coming new starlet.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MusicGuy

« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2003, 03:01:01 PM »

Dear esteemed, busy, frenetic, and productive BK --

Hmmmmm, so, Cafe Bizou tonight and no invitation for DR Kerry and myself??  ???   Well tarnation, now it is too late in the day to drive over.  Have an especially yummy bite of something for us, OK?

We also don't see too many "in-theatre" movies, however "Under The Tuscan Sun" was absolutely rich and beautiful on the big screen.  I'd also like to see Runaway Jury.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2003, 03:03:16 PM »

On another note, I am SO glad TCM is showing two Deanna Durbin movies today. IT'S A DATE is showing right now (I'm recording it for keeping), and it will be followed by LADY ON A TRAIN (which I already have). Hopefully, TCM will show some other Durbin movies in the coming months. I have several holes in my collection.

BTW, for you mystery lovers, LADY ON A TRAIN is a mystery and a pretty good one.

I hope it is not too late for me to record them. :-\

Jed

« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2003, 03:03:35 PM »

I haven't played Life in ages, but I DO love Trivial Pursuit.  I just have a talent for storing weird random pieces of information in my head.

A girl after my own heart.  I, too, have a mind filled with worthless crap. :D

Always been a board game fan, but had the same trouble MattH did of not having people around too interested in playing them with me.  During my senior year of HS, we had a group of us who would get together every couple weeks and play TRIVIAL PURSUIT.  My friend Joey and I always battled it out right to the end.  Beyond that, CLUE was always a favorite.  Whenever my cousin Wesley was in town, we'd play GO FOR IT.  Also played a fair amount of PAYDAY and LIFE.  UNCLE WIGGILY... heck yeah!  I do believe that one's still in Grandma's closet somewhere.  Like someone else (I forget at the moment... Matt? Ron?), I always had horrible luck with SORRY, so it was never a favorite of mine at all.

For more recent games, I do really enjoy BALDERDASH and its counterpart BEYOND BALDERDASH, which includes dates and such in addition to definitions.  And I'm undefeated at TABOO.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2003, 03:03:59 PM »

We've got the same weather on this coast, DR Ron. It's been freezing cold with mizzly rain all day long. At least we didn't get the ice they forecast, but it's been miserable enough even without it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2003, 03:05:58 PM »

DR TCB --   In reality, I really liked Miss Moore's silent film work, and have played Ella Cinders a number of times.  A friend of mine knew her address, wrote to her about me playing her films, and she sent me back the nicest 8x10 of herself and personally autographed to me.

Now that's a classy lady!  DR Kerry had a similar response from Miss Kim Novak, when he wrote to her years ago.  We still have the picture and note up in our gallery.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2003, 03:06:56 PM »

There was also a Disneyland board game where you moved around a board layout patterned on the four sections of Disneyland. There was this vile looking serpent in Adventureland that used to creep me out! Can't believe I remember all this stuff like it was yesterday, and I'm talking games from 45 years ago!

Danise

« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2003, 03:08:40 PM »

Well, it seems no one had a  guess about “Shadows of the Night” aka  "Quentins Theme” from Dark Shadows.

Just saw our weather and we're going to get cold this weekend.  It will rain tomorrow and then the cold will set in.  Joy.  I so love the cold.  Errrrr.   Or should I say Burrr?

Oh, I forgot--Voice from the Mummys Tomb--Now THAT was GREAT game along with Bats in Your Belfry.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 03:10:06 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MusicGuy

« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2003, 03:09:13 PM »

Dear east coast H/Ks --    You all really do have to forgive us, if we are getting to the time of year where we can brag a little about our weather.  Today is 74, sunny, and a very light breeze.

That said, we pay for it by frying our asses off from about late May to the middle or end of October!!  :'(

Jed

« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2003, 03:10:48 PM »

Then again, EVERYONE knows I'm trying to marry an american.
So far I've had:

Mr. Florida/ California
Mr. New York
Mr. Pennsylvania/ DC

There are sooooo many states left to cover.

I happen to know that Washington state has great guys to offer. :D

Jed

« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2003, 03:14:01 PM »

Dear east coast H/Ks --    You all really do have to forgive us, if we are getting to the time of year where we can brag a little about our weather.  Today is 74, sunny, and a very light breeze.

That said, we pay for it by frying our asses off from about late May to the middle or end of October!!  :'(

This is why I could never live in Arizona.  I can deal with 10 degrees a lot better than 110 degrees!
Currently 32 and overcast here.

MusicGuy

« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2003, 03:15:53 PM »

Favorite ice cream really has to be broken into 2 categories for me.

First, for a flavor scooped right out of a tub and into a cone (with no alterations or additions)...either Hagen-Dazs Cookies & Cream, or Baskin-Robbins Gold Medal Ribbon.

But as far as an "ice cream creation," it would be either a big scoop of H-D Vanilla with my own homemade (seedless) raspberry sauce on it, or a Hot Fudge Sundae from C.C. Brown's.  ::)  ;D

MusicGuy

« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2003, 03:17:42 PM »

DR Jed --     Oh, I absolutely agree about the killer heat...Yuck, phtooey !!   But you have to admit, something in between 67 and 73, with a beautiful blue sky and the sun out, is a might pretty day.

MusicGuy

« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2003, 03:22:26 PM »

By the way DR Jed --  I roughly understand the first 2 phrases in your quote at the bottom of your page (in French), but what is the last part, about "le singe...."??

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2003, 03:22:51 PM »

What's funny, DR MG, is that we HAD that exact day on Monday. In the mid-Atlantic region, we can go from a spring-like day to vile winter overnight. Very typical for us to have very mild winters and then a HUGE ice storm out of nowhere.

MusicGuy

« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2003, 03:24:39 PM »

DR MattH --- Well, try staying warm by slipping into Pernell Roberts,,,,,I mean a warm blanket.. :o

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2003, 03:25:41 PM »

Awww, thanks Jed.  If you ever come to DC, you're on for a game of Trivial Pursuit!  Though the edition I have is really outdated....it's a genus edition from like the Reagan administration.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2003, 03:41:26 PM »

MusicGuy: You mean drive over from Arizona?

Re Grammys - the cast album is a curious category.  If there's a well-known rock producer in the batch, that's who wins.  If there's a really popular thing like Riverdance (which had been all over PBS the year it was up) that wins (over Rent, I believe).   So,  my guess is that the Billy Joel (simply because of his name) has a good shot, even though it's probably the least interesting album.  Nine has a chance ONLY because of its star.  FDS has no shot.  Because the general membership are the voters and because few of them will have actually heard any of these, it's what name is familiar to them.  Plain and simple.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2003, 03:41:28 PM »

As far as board games are concerned, I grew up playing the previously mentioned Sorry and Aggravation (anyone heard of that?).  We still play these after getting our first versions...probably 25-30 years ago!  A new card game that we love playing is Phase 10.  It can take a long time the more people you have playing...you really can't play with only one or two people.  The more the merrier!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 03:42:55 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2003, 03:48:06 PM »

BK--that really saddens me that that's how the Grammy's work when it comes to cast albums.  I know it would be really small and unpublicized, but do you think they should have an award show for theatre music recordings similar to the MAC's, maybe?  Maybe they already do have one and I'm just not aware of it.  But at least that way cast albums would win awards based on merit, and not politics or name-recognition.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2003, 03:53:08 PM »

Congratulations to Mr Mark Bakalor and NINE!  The Grammy Awards are a strange animal.....often times a song/album/performer is nominated in two categories...particularly when a "new" or "now" category is created such as Punk or Funk or Rap....I would hope that someday, a song/album/artist nominated in one category couldn't be nominated for the SAME work in another category....so strange.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2003, 03:54:51 PM »

Trivial Pursuit was invented in a Montreal bar...

betcha all didn't know that! :)

I used to play with some of them when I worked at a local radio station. Weeklye trivial  pursuit games.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2003, 03:58:27 PM »

Hello, one and all. I am here for a few minutes. I have been out for most of the time since last Wednesday. I've popped in once or twice but I've been busy w/Thanksgiving and then volunteering but I wanted to hop in and say hello so you don't forget me. I haven't read a single post except for those on this page and I probably won't get to them until this weekend (Saturday, probably) so I don't know what in the hell any of you are talking about :-)

Off to see Lypsinka tonight. Tired after a day of unloading boxes and packing gift bags, but it's a good tired.

DRs Kerry and Music Guy, glad you liked the card and the CD. We had fun making them.

Later, folks.

Jed

« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2003, 03:58:31 PM »

Maya - I've always played with that 1983 Genus edition, too.  Gotta love when half the Geography answers are "Soviet Union." :)

MusicGuy - "Le chat est sur la chaise, la souris est sous la table, et le singe est sur la branche" translates to "The cat is on the chair, the mouse is under the table, and the monkey is on the branch."  It's from Eddie Izzard (very funny British stand-up) talking about his early French lessons.

George - Yes, I do remember AGGRAVATION.  I think it's still in Grandma's closet somewhere, too!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 04:01:27 PM by Jed »

Ben

« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2003, 03:59:48 PM »

Oh, my. At this point in time as I post both BK & JRand have exactly the same number of posts, 782. Just thought I would point that out.

Bye, again.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up