Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RECORDING THE BRAIN  (Read 32649 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:RECORDING THE BRAIN
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2006, 01:10:35 PM »

Another lunch that started late and ran long. Cut deeply into my afternoon viewing time, and I didn't even set out on any errands. I ordered stuff on-line instead of shopping for it at Wal-Mart.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Five Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2006, 01:15:03 PM »

I watched the last MEDIUM episode on the first disc in the secnd season set. This was the one which had Allison sleepwalking saying that she needed money. The plot involved a kidnapped boy, but the sleepwalking was one of the more harrowing motifs for her psychic abilities.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2006, 01:16:34 PM »

I was going to erase RANCHO NOTORIOUS from the DVR, but before I did, I looked for the DVD-R that I thought I had burned, and I couldn't find it anywhere. So, for a change, I did something right: checked before deleting something. I'm burning a disc of it now.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2006, 01:36:17 PM »

LA TIMES
Walt Disney: man or mouse?
Those who pigeonhole him as everyman or kitschmeister are missing the big picture.

By Neal Gabler
Neal Gabler is the author, most recently, of "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination."
December 17, 2006

FRIDAY MARKED THE 40th anniversary of Walt Disney's death from lung cancer, a long time by most measures and an eternity for figures in the popular culture, who usually evaporate quickly from our memories.

To a surprising degree, however, he has managed to survive in the national consciousness, and not just as a corporate logo but as a kind of cultural barometer. Ask just about anyone how he or she feels about Disney and you are likely to get either a beaming, misty-eyed tribute from those who recall him fondly and enjoy his animations and theme parks, or a scowling, brow-furrowed denunciation from those who see him as the great Satan of modern mass culture.

Disney doesn't leave much room for anything in the middle. Even now he essentially cleaves the culture between the hoi polloi and elites, between those who willingly surrender to his wiles and those who seem hellbent on resisting them.

As University of Texas professor Douglas Brode has pointed out in his recent book, "From Walt to Woodstock," Disney's values, especially as evinced in his films, are much more complex and even contradictory than either his fans or his enemies admit. His values are not traditional conservative American. On the contrary, Disney's films challenged authority, disdained the acquisition of money, abhorred hypocrisy (including religious hypocrisy), promoted tolerance and community and celebrated rebelliousness. (Just see how Davy Crockett challenges Andrew Jackson in the 1950s TV programs, or how Pollyanna scolds her own minister for his intolerance.)

In his own life, Disney denounced what he called "billboard patriotism," and he looked askance at organized religion — all of which means that both sides got him wrong.

This should have been perfectly evident to anyone who wanted to see it, but most people seem to have preferred refracting Disney through their own prism. And, to be frank, Disney invited this by purveying the now-familiar image of an everyman and even indulging in some anti-intellectualism himself by insisting that he made corny films because people liked corn.

Yet it is in Disney's odd combination of libertarianism and liberalism, optimism and cynicism, nostalgia and futurism, faith and doubt that one may find not only the real man but the real America he represented.

After 40 years, Walt Disney is not either/or — the best or the worst. He is both the best and the worst — not the polarizing center of cultural warfare but a portent of the truce between high and low

A lengthy read, worth the effort.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2006, 02:01:46 PM »

Is BK missing a prop?

Dorothy Ferreira, who lives on Long Island in New York, got this strange present from her sister, who said she found it at nearby Fort Pond Bay in the 1950s..

der Brucer
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:02:15 PM by DERBRUCER »

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »

I cleaned the dining room this morning, so I should be able to get in a good bit of reading in the KATE biography before I settle in with more POLICE SQUAD tonight.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2006, 02:04:56 PM »

A snack for Sherlock?

REUTERS
Hotel Puts $110 Hamburger on Menu

JAKARTA (Dec. 18) - A hotel in Indonesia is dishing out a hamburger that costs more than twice the monthly minimum wage in some parts of the country.

The $110 hamburger offered by the Four Seasons is made of Kobe beef with foie gras, Portobello mushrooms and Korean pears -- served with french fries, of course.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2006, 02:30:59 PM »

Well tonight, alas, DREAMGIRLS is not to be, but I will have a delightful dinner with our E&T DR Jose at Popover, and that will be fun.  No word from the recording studio?  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2006, 02:32:11 PM »

LET'S GIVE IT UP FOR THE BUNNY!

Censured PBS Bunny Returns
What happens to a children’s public television show after it has been attacked by the secretary of education, pilloried by conservatives, then abandoned by its underwriters? In the case of “Postcards From Buster,” it manages to return, belatedly but unbowed, for a second season.

“We were proud of ‘Postcards From Buster,’ and we are proud of ‘Postcards From Buster,’ ” said Brigid Sullivan, vice president for children’s programming at WGBH, the Boston PBS station that produces the show. “It’s a children’s show dealing with diversity by showing real kids in real-life situations. That’s not being done by anyone else.”

In “Postcards From Buster” documentary footage of children from different cultures is combined with animation of Buster and his friends. This season includes only 10 episodes, which began in November and will run through February, a far cry from the 40 produced for the show’s first season.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:32:47 PM by DERBRUCER »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2006, 04:33:21 PM »

Today has been a rough day.  Anyone else needing a pick me up should immediately go to www.cuteoverload.com and scroll down until they the picture entitled "Le Sigh"  shortly below that is a video called "Winston Eats Mashed Potatoes."  Both improved my mood immensely.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2006, 04:45:20 PM »

Happy Birthday wishes to Penny O!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2006, 04:48:33 PM »

Re:  the missing Mt. Hood climbers.  OK, this is no doubt going to raise some hackles, but I have relatively little sympathy for these people.  First of all, there were extremely well-publicized winter storm warnings in effect, given to all climbers when they apply for their permit.  Second and most importantly, these "experienced pro's" were too macho to spring the extra $5 (FIVE DOLLARS!!!!) to carry along a locater transponder device which would have pinpointed their location immediately.

Call me the Grinch, but I similarly had little sympathy for the ill-fated Kim family, who with two small children in the car decided to get off I-5 and take a logging road (LOGGING ROAD) with clearly marked signs saying it was IMPASSIBLE in the winter and then, even worse, got off that onto a spur road (oy!), and then got stuck for 9 days.

Use your G-d given brains, people!!!

I thought that in the case of the Kim family the sign and markings had been vandalized allowing them access to a normally closed area.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2006, 04:52:32 PM »

The big event of my day....my mom, my aunt and I went to the First Baptist Church for lunch.  As I recall, I was told there was a man who goes around preparing lunch and doing a little program.

Well....we ate ham, green beans, corn, mashed potatoes, bread and banana pudding.  Took roughly 50 minutes to serve, eat and enjoy.

The "little program", however, was two more hours (!!!) consisting of a lengthy musical tape recording, a saxophone, various/sundry odd props, the man (a preacher!) and his 5-year-old son (you've NEVER seen a 5-year-old THAT well-behaved).

I've surmised the man is a frustrated entertainer ... wants to be a singer and wants to be a preacher man.  Has a tenor of modest range and quality....nice high register, though.

He's a good cook.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 04:54:24 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »

Greetings from home!  I left Cleveland at about 2:20pm EST and arrived back in Middletown in time to meet my family for dinner on my way into town.  Now, after unpacking, I'm going to putter and not sit for a while.  I figured that I've spent most of the past 30 hours sitting (driving, meetings, driving) or sleeping (although not all that well...).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2006, 04:55:31 PM »

Can anyone recommend a fine, complete recording of Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitors"?

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2006, 04:56:43 PM »

I made myself useful this afternoon by making a pot of spaghetti sauce.  It smells fantastic to me, but my mom can only smell the garlic.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2006, 04:56:47 PM »

That is a cute site TPunk and it is a great mood picker upper!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2006, 04:57:14 PM »

Has anyone else wondered what that catchy little tune is in the Geico commercial with the caveman on the moving walkway in the airport?  Well, wonder no longer:  it's "Remind Me" by Norsky group Royksopp and I just got the album it's off of, "Melody A.M."  If you like techno/trance pop, it's fantastic; it even has a groovy version of "Blue on Blue."

Thanks for the info.  I know a certain other reader who would be most interested in that information.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2006, 04:57:49 PM »

Is BK missing a prop?

Dorothy Ferreira, who lives on Long Island in New York, got this strange present from her sister, who said she found it at nearby Fort Pond Bay in the 1950s..

der Brucer

That may well be all that remains of "the Blob"!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2006, 04:58:17 PM »

I made myself useful this afternoon by making a pot of spaghetti sauce.  It smells fantastic to me, but my mom can only smell the garlic.

Ron, that sounds good!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2006, 05:08:14 PM »

Cil - Dad was a lawyer!
So is mine!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2006, 05:08:40 PM »

TPunk-I got a kick out of Winston's sound effects. ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2006, 05:14:45 PM »

A snack for Sherlock?

REUTERSder Brucer

LOL-Sherlock prefers his meat raw.

Why is this soooo expensive, the Kobi beef, imported pears and/or the oie gras?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2006, 05:15:48 PM »

....we ate ham, green beans...

What? Everybody knows it's green eggs that go with ham!

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2006, 05:18:16 PM »

Cilla - I also really enjoy the score to TUSCALOOSA'S CALLING ME... - I even find myself humming "Everything You Hate is Right Here" when I have those NYC type experiences that can be frustrating :) , and "New York from the Air" is one of those songs I just start thinking about every now and then.  I think it was an off-Broadway success in its time, even with reports of a planned move to Broadway which never materialized, but somehow never got a major revival.

I still listen to the album now and then (thus the response to TOD) . I wish it was on CD. I hum New York From The Air every time I fly into or out of New York.  I love all of it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2006, 05:23:39 PM »

I saw that show and loved every minute of it.  It has two of the most beautiful New York songs ever written.

New York From the Air is  a beautiful song, but Tuscaloosa's Calling Me But I'm Not Going is really much more of a love song to New York.  I think it's my favorite from the show.

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »

I love "Fugue For a Menage a Trois." ;)

Oh, I thought maybe you'd like "Things Were Out" ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2006, 05:25:12 PM »

Can anyone recommend a fine, complete recording of Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitors"?

I still prefer the original television cast, selling for a good price on amazon.com
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2006, 05:27:08 PM »

But, the sound and cast on the covent Garden recording are quite wonderful!  Also available through Amazon.com.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up