Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A PIECE OF MAHLER'S  (Read 12983 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: A PIECE OF MAHLER'S
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »

Does your coat have a hood?  If so you didn't really need an umbrella, at least I wouldn't. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »

Okay, I have a conundrum - a week from Saturday LACC is doing a benefit staged reading of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, with kind of a Latino bent - starring Tony Plana (from Ugly Betty), Elizabeth Pena, Esai Morales.  The director just called me and asked if I could come in and do a role - they were originally trying to have all Latinos but have had no luck finding anyone for this particular role - it's the neighbor Charlie - does anyone know this play well enough to know if it's something I should think about?  He's bringing a copy over for me this afternoon - it wouldn't involve more than a couple of evening rehearsals and it's just two performances next weekend, which I could definitely do - I just am always very hinky about acting stuff these days.

Laura

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:46 AM »

I think you should do it, BK. I think it is good for a director to be reminded of what it is like to be an actor. But that's just my opinion.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:02 AM »

Oh, by the way, I am sure the guy is guilty. Of whatever.

Laura

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »

It is a justice court, so I think it will end up being canceled anyway. Unless it is a DUI.

Ben

« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »

Does your coat have a hood?  If so you didn't really need an umbrella, at least I wouldn't. :)

Yes, Jane, the street umbrellas are usually quite junky and often fall apart after 1 use and sometimes they break during the rainstorm.

I have a hood on my coat but it was POURING rain at a couple of points so a bumbershoot would have been nice.

Jane

« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »

I purchased one in NY and got lucky it lasted longer than a few uses, and it was on sale for only $4.00.  I think the guy wanted to sell his last umbrella and get out of the rain.

Did you wear a cap?  I hate the rain on my glasses.  I either keep a hat on a loop on my purse or loop the back Velcro strap through my pants loop in case I need it.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »

Okay, I have a conundrum - a week from Saturday LACC is doing a benefit staged reading of Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, with kind of a Latino bent - starring Tony Plana (from Ugly Betty), Elizabeth Pena, Esai Morales.  The director just called me and asked if I could come in and do a role - they were originally trying to have all Latinos but have had no luck finding anyone for this particular role - it's the neighbor Charlie - does anyone know this play well enough to know if it's something I should think about?  He's bringing a copy over for me this afternoon - it wouldn't involve more than a couple of evening rehearsals and it's just two performances next weekend, which I could definitely do - I just am always very hinky about acting stuff these days.

It is a reading & doesn't take up too much of your time-why not do it?  I'm a fan of Elizabeth Pena & expect only nice stories about her ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »

OK... I've caught up on some emails and such here in the Atrium, and now it's time to head back to my apartment to see if Time-Warner and/or ConEd have made any progress.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »

Here is Charlie Sheen's reaction to the announcement that his show has been canceled for the rest of the season:

"What does this say about Haim Levine [Chuck Lorre] after he tried to use his words to judge and attempt to degrade me. I gracefully ignored this folly for 177 shows ... I fire back once and this contaminated little maggot can't handle my power and can't handle the truth. I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words -- imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists. I urge all my beautiful and loyal fans who embraced this show for almost a decade to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong.

"Remember these are my people ... not yours...we will continue on together..."

Talk about throwing fuel on a fire...

:(

Again, I feel terrible for his parents.  Prior to this his father was vocal about their concerns.

Martin Sheen is a class act.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »

I agree.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »

Shouldn't Hot Chocolate Festival Day be  a national holiday?

Today is French Fry Friday in Tri-cities, Washington AND Zeppo Marx's birthday.  He'd be 110 years old today...if he were still alive. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2011, 12:20:51 PM »

I think you should do it, BK. I think it is good for a director to be reminded of what it is like to be an actor. But that's just my opinion.

I agree. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2011, 12:21:08 PM »

I was Sarah in a community theatre production of COMPANY that was so inept the guy playing my husband (Harry) thought "a piece of Mahler's" was candy.

Elaine Stritch has told the story that she thought it was a kind of pastry.

George

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »

Everyone needs to take a break now and then.  I'm currently not tweeting on Twitter.  Not that anyone there would notice...

I've never Twitted...nor do I ever intend to.

George

« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »

Topic of the Day: 

In my CD player right now:  the first-time-ever-on-CD original London cast recording of Gone With the Wind by Harold Rome and the movie soundtracks to "Fear Strikes Out" and "The Tin Star," with scores by Elmer Bernstein.  They just arrived!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2011, 12:31:38 PM »

Everyone better GET Internet or be where there IS Internet by the Oscar bash - you won't want to miss THAT.

I guess I'd better find a way!

I doubt I'll be watching the Oscars. I really no longer care.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »

Having my hair done was very therapeutic.  I have baked pizza crusts in preparation for tonight's dinner and listened to today's The Story, about Border's and an independent bookstore in Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:44:29 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »

Today was a very frustrating day with lots of searches and no results. People mysterioulsy vanish after periods of popularity with lots of newspaper articles and no obituaries turn up. How does VARIETY know that John Ernest McCann died in 1921? I can find nothing on him! It went that way with everything at the the library. Damn!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »

I bet DR Jose would be missed if he didn't Twit. :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2011, 12:40:37 PM »

Dang. I got ANOTHER jury summons.

Oh, Yeah--I got my every-three-year summons on Wednesday.  I report April 13th.  I'll probably sit around all morning and then get sent home after lunch.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »

Back from some bacon and eggs.

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »

My left shoulder has been bothering me. Not sure what to do about it.  It's been bothering me slightly for a few weeks. But this monday at swimming it actually got uncomfortable.

I've tried a heating pad and icing it. But now it feels worse than before. :(

Is there a heat whirlpool where you swim?  If so you might find it helpful.  What strokes do you swim?  Switching what you do might also make a difference.

SHOULDER VIBES!!!

No there is no whirlpool. I mostly do front crawl. That is the stroke that was hurting my shoulder. So i did back kick with a flutterboard under my head (so i don't have to use my arms). And just using the flutterboard on my front (don't have to use my arms). But if there are others swimming those aren't really fast enough to be in the fast lane.

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »

Took a hot shower this morning and now my shoulder hurts more. Does that even make sense?

Did it feel better in the shower?  Mine does until I get out.  Everything I do after can make it worse.  Yesterday I did not wash my hair for that reason. 

yah actually that is exactly it. It felt good while in the shower. But hurt more after.

Everything i do seems to aggravate it.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »

I see those jury summonses are contagious at the moment. Hope I don't catch it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »

Here is Charlie Sheen's reaction to the announcement that his show has been canceled for the rest of the season:

"What does this say about Haim Levine [Chuck Lorre] after he tried to use his words to judge and attempt to degrade me. I gracefully ignored this folly for 177 shows ... I fire back once and this contaminated little maggot can't handle my power and can't handle the truth. I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words -- imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists. I urge all my beautiful and loyal fans who embraced this show for almost a decade to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong.

Why can't I be a wealthy bitch instead of a poor one?

From you lips...

;)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2011, 01:49:34 PM »

Darn. Still no "Gone with the Wind" in the mail.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Michael

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2011, 01:58:33 PM »

I guess I'd better find a way!
[/quote]

I doubt I'll be watching the Oscars. I really no longer care.
[/quote]

Everyone better GET Internet or be where there IS Internet by the Oscar bash - you won't want to miss THAT.

I'll second that
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2011, 02:03:29 PM »

I see those jury summonses are contagious at the moment. Hope I don't catch it.

[Groan]  I got one two weeks ago....for March 14.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Michael

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »

Why can't I be a wealthy bitch instead of a poor one?

From you lips...

;)

I find it interesting that he used Chuck Lorre's real name. Obviously Jewish. I wonder if he was making a commen on his religion as a reason why the show was finished for th rest of the season.

Also Charlie Sheen suffers from a disease that can be put in remission but never cured. I know he has had a lot of chances. But perhaps they should look at it that way.

Not only is Sheen being punished but the rest of the cast and the behind the scenes people too. In the past major characters have been written out for a short time to recover from contract disputes and recovery. Carroll O'Connor and Matthew Perry come to mind. They could write out Sheen by having him go to Betty Ford or some place like that
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up