Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 33272 times)

Tomovoz

Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2004, 03:46:46 PM »

We don't even have ice Ron. It is the driest continent. The only continent with less rain is Antarctica. We can't afford ice.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2004, 03:50:11 PM »

Does Australia HAVE figure skaters?   :o

I don't know about Ozian figure skaters... but they DO have an Olympic gold medal winning short track speed skater.

I will never forget the hilarity of watching that live with my family and saying, as the leading four skaters came around the final bend, "how sorry do you feel for the australian guy who is so far behind?"

Then someone tripped and brought down everyone else with them. Everyone except for Mr. Australia who was so far back he was able to adjust and skated AROUND the fallen competitors for gold! :D  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2004, 03:54:34 PM »

What of the great moments in sport Emily.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2004, 03:55:11 PM »

Memories of "Cool Running".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2004, 03:55:33 PM »

We don't even have ice Ron. It is the driest continent. The only continent with less rain is Antarctica. We can't afford ice.

Now, Tom!  I know there is ice in Australia.  I had some in my hotel room refrigerator when I was in Perth.

Not enough to field a figure skating team on, though.  Do they perchance train in New Zealand?

I may be totally remiss in keeping up with Oz's winter sports teams, but I've never seen an Australian figure skater.  I'm almost positive there must be a few...but...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 03:57:17 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2004, 03:59:04 PM »

I suspect there would be less than 10 ice skating rinks in OZ Ron. Not exactly an environment to promote a sport. I think the skaters have to provide their own ice. You did realise (realize) that that was not frozen water in Perth.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2004, 04:01:45 PM »

The last winter Olympics provided this country with its first ever medals for winter sports - not bad for a continent with no permanent snow line. I think we have provided world class "freestyle" skiers. (or whatever the sport is called).
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »

JMK, Yes, twas I quoted in Variety a few days ago.  I wanted to get a strong statement out there to shut up all the whingers who are going to be saying what an embarrassment this is for the guild and how it weakens it.  Personally, it's only an embarrassment for Ms. Riskin who shouldn't have tried to dodge around the eligibility question.  The Guild has proven its strength once again, by listening to a member, investigating what it needed to investigate, resolving the problem properly, serving its by-laws and constitution, serving its membership. It's shown that the guild is its membership and that no one person is more important than the whole and that the rules apply to everybody.  And, frankly, Charles Holland is the best possible president we could have at this time.

BK, even though the image may not be the best, the art is my favourite so far,  I particularly like the stormy sky...symbolic of book's darker, melancholic aspects, perhaps.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 04:04:14 PM by Charles Pogue »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2004, 04:03:33 PM »

DR TomovOz, you are pulling my leg.

Stop that.  I'm ticklish!

I know that was real ice, 'cause it melted in my glass!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2004, 04:07:11 PM »

Are you sure it melted, and didn't disolve?  The two things look a lot alike sometimes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2004, 04:15:29 PM »

DR Jason - RE: My "productive" trip to the chocolate store - You'll find out in a few days ;-)  -Hope you peed, if not, pee now!

-I'm reminded of that monologue from The Nerd... "Urinate!  Urinate!..."

And DR TCB - I also put an "inquiry" for you too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2004, 04:15:58 PM »

Here's a major difference betwixt the stars of yesterday and today...well, at least the male stars.  Are there any leading men in Hollywood these days who is actually just butt-ugly?  Bogart was butt-ugly.  And not only was he a star, he was a sex symbol, fer cryin' out loud.  

I have to disagree with you.  While I never thought of him as handsome, I don’t think of him as ugly.  Surprisingly, if you look at pictures from his early stage work he was rather nice looking.  Now Edward G was ugly.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 04:16:24 PM by Jane »

Andrea

« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2004, 04:17:53 PM »

Indeed, DR Jennifer, CYGOPP and I are reunited. Get Emily to tell you about the benefits.

And DR Emily-- I have indeed gotten all my grades back. Perhaps if you posted parts two and three of the NYC trip, they will come.

And DR Laura: Sorry about the Kitty.

Thoughts on Wicked: Defying Gravity is wonderful. Dancing through life? jury is still out... and it isn't looking good.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2004, 04:18:13 PM »

DR TomovOz, you are pulling my leg.

Stop that.  I'm ticklish!

Ticklish?  Are you sure he's pulling your leg?

And when I was in Australia last summer/their winter, I was told to stay away from anything called "ice".  Bad.  Very, very bad.  :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2004, 04:19:56 PM »

Are you sure it melted, and didn't disolve?  The two things look a lot alike sometimes.

Yeah... Sometimes it just depends upon your diet...

-Hmm, was that really called for!?!?!?!?

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Andrea

« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2004, 04:19:59 PM »

Indeed, the more I think about it, the more Norbert's voice is beginning to sound like my therapist.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2004, 04:22:15 PM »

OH!!! OH!!!! OH!!!

DR SWW - You're just two posts away from your voice dropping, your stomach getting flabby and your hair turning gray!!!!

What a cause for celebration, huh?

:D

Ooohhhh... And I guess I'm just a few posts away from own personal ascension.. AND it's a Trading Spaces night too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2004, 04:28:53 PM »

Re:  Wicked and Norbert.  Another synchronicity (doesn't that mean I'm on the right track--ooh, a double Schwartz reference)--we JUST finished listening to it a few minutes ago.  My wife saw it the first week it was open on Broadway and loved it.  I am really, really ambivalent on the score as recorded, which surprises me.  However, my comment after listening to Norbert on "Dancing through Life" is that my friend Brooks Ashmanskas should sue him for vocal style infringement.  I mean, it was one thing in Last 5 Years, as JRB apparently had Brooks' voice in mind when writing that score, but this is ridiculous.

Maybe Norbert should do a triple Butz.  No groaning allowed.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2004, 04:30:08 PM »

Jose: I certainly hope you took heed of theat "ice" warning.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2004, 04:34:08 PM »

I was trying to modify/correct this earlier, but my connection went all kerfloohey, so... if anyone is reading back, it is different ;-)

Oh, I meant to mention this last night...

Sometimes the local Richmond news cast is a little too local.  They were broadcasting some pre-recorded public service announcements during the news yesterday.  Well, there was an announcement for the first meeting of the year for Overeater's Anonymous, their "New Year's Resolution" meeting.  Well, when it came time to announce the name of the organization, the name came out:

"Overeater's AMoMynous"... TWICE!!

AND it was pre-recorded, and played about twice - that's how I made sure it was "amomynous".  ???  Now, come on!  Surely, someone could have caught that during the editing?  Or maybe they were running out of time and just left it that way.

Of course, that still does not compare to one remark the film reviewer made about watching Dances With Wolves.
Female Broadcaster: "So, what did you think about Dances With Wolves?"
Male Broadcaster/Film Reviewer: "Well, after watching Kevin Costner's new movie, I was walking funny the next morning!"

<moment of stunned silence from the studio>

-Of course, I think he was referring to all the horse-riding going on in the movie, but the moment of silence kind of inferred otherwise.

:o
:-X
???
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:24:24 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2004, 04:36:41 PM »

Just back from an endless walk and how lovely to see such sparklingly sparkling posts on such a variety and also a hollywood reporter of topics.  Whilst out I got some chocolate covered red licorice.  It's either going to be the worst thing ever or an interesting taste treat.

I am now tending to agree with Pogue about this art - it's really extraordinary (especially in person).  I also really love the first cover, but since that wasn't really done as a book cover and the second was done in a different shape (thereby having to be centered in the middle of the jacket) this one is pleasing both art-wise and layout wise because being able to put both title and author in the sky and not having to compromise ANY of the art is great.  It's everything I wanted it to be.  I sent HS a photo of the building (black and white) and the only things I told him were the real colors of the DOT label, and that I wanted the boy holding an umbrella, a rainy sky, rain-slicked streets and the neon lit.  I'm just totally in love with it and can't take my eyes off  of it.

Michael

« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2004, 04:39:53 PM »

Hooray for Hollywood
That screwy, ballyhooey Hollywood
Where any office boy or young mechanic
Can be a panic, with just a goodlooking pan
Where any barmaid can be a star maid
If she dances with or without a fan

Hooray for Hollywood
Where you're terrific, if you're even good
Where anyone at all from TV's Lassie
To Monroe's chassis is equally understood
Go out and try your luck, you might be Donald Duck
Hooray for Hollywood

Hooray for Hollywood
That phoney, super coney Hollywood
They come from Chillicothes and Padukahs
With their bazookas to get their names up in lights
All armed with photos from local rotos
With their hair in ribbons and legs in tights

Hooray for Hollywood
You may be homely in your neighborhood
But if you think that you can an actor
See Mr. Factor, he'd make a monkey look good
With a half an hour, you'll look like Tyrone Power
Hooray for Hollywood
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2004, 04:43:36 PM »

Oh, and picked up a few new DVDs today, including season one of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Judy Holliday in It Could Happen To You, two strange Japanese Yakuza movies, Pale Flower, and Blackmail is My Life.  I've really enjoyed all these strange Japanese b-films from the sixties, so I took a chance on them.  No one in the world was making more outre and weird films than these Japanese b-film makers in that decade.  They are, in fact, sublimely weird.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »

Robin & Jane, here's another thing I've noticed about male stars of yesterday...and for that matter, the female stars.  They were adults!  The men were men, not little boys, the women had class and grace; they all had a certain maturity that so many of today's stars seem to eschew.  I mean when Cary Grant or Gary Cooper were in their twenties and early thirties...it didn't seem like you were waiting for the them to grow up.   They had savoire faire, knew how to carry themselves, conduct themselves; they had a sense of personal dignity and responsibility and composure that radiated from them.  They seemed like fully developed, mature, grown-up people.  It may be why so many of them could remain major stars for 25-30 years.  They didn't act like adolescents like so many of the stars in their twenties and thirties  (and sadly, even in their forties) do today...

Michael

« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2004, 04:46:47 PM »

I have been reviewing all of Bruce's column from the beginning and came across this. I was wondering where does this stand at the moment?

One interesting thing that happened on the Vegas trip: Way back in 1993, when I started producing albums at Varese Sarabande, I'd written a film script. Said film script almost got made (a very low budget affair it was), but for reasons I don't really recall, it fell through. I then became too busy to even think about said script and I put it on the shelf. I read it recently, and thought it quite bad overall, but thought it had a good deal of potential, thought it a really good idea, and thought what did work worked well and was pretty funny. But not as a film - as a musical. I discussed this with my friend David Wechter, who was with me in Vegas. David and I have written many things together (including the original script for the hit film, The Faculty) and I told him about this idea and he loved it. I'd already written a couple of songs, just to see how they'd fit, and they'd come out pretty well. So, we've decided to write the damn thing. And to put the cherry on top, I'd been approached by someone to do a show sometime towards summer, and I do think it will end up being our brand-spanking new musical comedy. When we start in ernest (next week), I will take you through the process as we go through the process. However, what I'd like to know is why we're starting in ernest? Why not start in Frank or Tom? I'm very excited about this brand-spanking new musical comedy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 04:47:11 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2004, 04:49:23 PM »

BK, I also like the effect of the neon reflected in what I guess is a rain-slicked dark street.  Gee, just imagine what sort of cover he might give you, if you ever write a noir mystery.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2004, 04:54:36 PM »

DR S. Woody: That's Dooley Wilson who sang "As Time Goes By." Paul Dooley is another actor entirely (BREAKING AWAY).

I was very excited to have such a sparkling men's competition. The programs were all interesting and different. Loved, loved Ryan Bradley's energy and verve on his "Southern medley" but his jumps were the shakiest and he popped more things than the others. Even with the occasional mistake from some of them, however, the programs really flowed.

BIG BUT: No quads. These programs would have been of world calibre at the 1998 Olympics, but none of them can compete on the world level without a quad if they want to stand on the podium.

Now, I'm not a person who LIKES quads. They're too big and booming and disruptive to the lyricism of skating, but if we must have them for the men, then our men need to be able to do them. Three or four top men elsewhere in the world can do them with ease.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2004, 04:55:48 PM »

I've always selected the term under the concept that if the ice disappears while there is liquid in a glass, it dissolves, and when the liquid is gone and only ice remains, at first, then it melts as it returns to liquid form.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2004, 04:58:17 PM »

I have to disagree with you.  While I never thought of him as handsome, I don’t think of him as ugly.  Surprisingly, if you look at pictures from his early stage work he was rather nice looking.  Now Edward G was ugly.

You may be even more surprised to learn that the young Bogey was considered to be a "pretty boy" by studio moguls and it kept him from getting better parts for quite a while in the 30s.

Jed

« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2004, 04:58:53 PM »

Am I the only one who cares the NEW option keeps disappearing?  

I would certainly care, but, fortunately, it's not disapperaing for me!

BK - Chocolate covered red licorice???  Sounds rather icky to me.

Loving the cover art.  Schmidt does it again!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up