Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH DUDGEON  (Read 25230 times)

Cillaliz

Re:HIGH DUDGEON
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »

Great news about the necklaces, DR CILLALIZ!  Cat bag!  To foil the Cat Burglars no doubt.

Again I would say - check pockets for the emerald ring.

Thanks JRand, I'll pass this on to mom :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »

Page 6 ring around the rosie dance!

Cillaliz

« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »

Ok, we don't have to do Ring around the Rosie....how about a waltz?

Cillaliz

« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2006, 06:40:23 PM »

TPunk, how did orientation go?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2006, 07:07:02 PM »

Cillaliz, you have a new avatar!  It's very nice! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2006, 07:09:01 PM »

Cillaliz, you have a new avatar!  It's very nice! ;D

Thanks.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2006, 07:26:01 PM »

No Sondheim in New York either but it has to come through my mail room. I do get to see the mail holders before they go up to the 4th floor so it may be in the box tomorrow. I hope so!
No Sondheim for me either!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2006, 07:26:28 PM »

Thanks JRand, I'll pass this on to mom :)

Ohmigod, a new avitar!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »

Hello my friends.

Five years ago I was conducting a 9 AM closing at our satellite office (actually we just rented the use of a conference room at another law firm).  I had been listening to a book on tape on my drive over and when I arrived at the office all of the personnel were in a back room.  

Assuming they were in a staff meeting I quietly went to the back conference room and set up for the closing... I found it odd that everyone was late... and they all arrived, both lawyers, the title closer, the buyers and sellers at exactly the same time, around 9:30... they all wandered in looking a little shell shocked and I made some bad joke about buying a new house was supposed to be a happy occasion when one of them looked at me oddly and said "You don't know, do you?"

"Know what?"

And he went on to explain about the 2 planes hitting the WTC.... all the blood must have drained out of my face because he suddenly reached out to steady me....

all I could think of was that my brother was there....I had no idea what floor he was on but he was there and he was one of those early birds who would get into the office before 7...

everyone decided that since we were all there they would go ahead and close the loan... but one of the attorney's whose sister worked at the towers and I spent a good deal of time trying to call people to ascertain the safetly of our loved ones.

I manged to get Vixdad on his office phone he worked down at 8th Avenue and 14th street at the time and had a window that looked out directly on the unfolding events much to his horror  He could clearly see the people jumping to escape the flames... we had only been there 12 days earlier with his cousins and great aunt who were visiting from England.. unfortunately we were not able to go up to the observation deck as they had had a bomb scare and had closed everything down.....

I finally was able to discover that my brother had never made it to the WTC that day... he had to go to his midtown office first to pick up some paperwork and then had been delayed by a phone call, the first plane hit before he was able to set out and he was stopped just as he was running out the door by a secretary who called him back to tell him what had happend.

The next day we found out that my cousin John who lives in Virginia,  had a ticket for the flight that crashed into  the Pentagon.  The business meeting he was flying to was cancelled the night of the 10th.

My family was very lucky.  My town however now has several streets named after some of the 15 residents we lost, amongst them two brothers, both  in their 20's, one a fireman the other a cop...

One of the Vixter's classmates lost her grandfather, Fire Chief Raymond Downey, to whom the street on which I live and the Post Office are now dedicated.

Neither Vixdad nor I watched any television for the next week, nor did we read the papers... Vixdad had a hard enough time with everything he had witnessed first hand and didn't need to watch the news reports.

About 2 weeks later I had to go into NYC to conduct a closing....when I walked into Penn Station the walls were plastered with pictures smiling people, young parents with children, wedding pictures, grandparents, graduation pictures... the faces of all those lost and the the desperate pleas of their loved ones... "if you have any information please call....."

I stood there staring , the tears rolling down my face

the stupidity and cruelty of it all.....

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:42:40 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2006, 07:42:45 PM »

TPunk, how did orientation go?

It was pretty basic.  Actually kind of odd to be on the other side of things after having conducted so many employee orientations myself.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 07:43:07 PM by TPunk »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2006, 07:44:42 PM »

I like your new avatar Cillaliz!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2006, 07:44:49 PM »

Good night my friends.  God bless you all.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2006, 07:48:11 PM »

I remember that the day after 9/11/01, the IRS had not yet decided that it was going to put off the Sept. 15th corporate deadline, so I was basically summoned in to the office.  People in my building saw me in the elevator in my jacket and tie clearly headed for the office and one of my neighbors asked, how can you go to work today, are you that essential at your office.  It did feel weird going to work on that next day, 9/12/01.  

FJL

« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2006, 07:49:45 PM »

I haven't gotten the Sondheim CD yet, either.  

FJL

« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2006, 07:52:58 PM »

BK - Have you checked your AOL email since this morning?  

Important :) question about dining during your NYC trip and other related stuff.

Ginny

« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2006, 07:54:30 PM »

Lovely new avatars, DRs TPunk and Cillaliz!

And congratulations, Cilla, on finding the necklaces.  I was looking forward to helping you pick out 3 new ones at Tiffany's  ;)

The tour of the elementary school was very interesting.  We met first in the library/media center, which, to my librarian eyes, is 'way too small.

One more 9/11 memory:  I pass a fire station on my way to work and the firefighters were collecting money for a few days.  When I drove up to put some money into the boot held out by a firefighter who looked about 12 years old, he told me to be careful.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2006, 07:55:21 PM »

No Sondheim here in Ohio today, either.  Maybe tomorrow...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »

What a crazy, mixed-up night of TV due to the Presidential address.

I started with more WILL & GRACE episodes from Season 7 including the one with Kristin Davis as Vince's "Grace."

Overall, the shows of Season 7 weren't especially funny and the writers began making Will as shrill and selfish as Grace. Very unattractive.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2006, 08:28:39 PM »

Nice new avatar, DR Cillaliz.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2006, 08:29:58 PM »

Next came a LAW & ORDER repeat on TNT-HD. This one featured Jerry Orbach with Jesse Martin, and seeing him again reminded me how much LAW & ORDER misses his presence these days.

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2006, 08:31:30 PM »

VANISHED came on at 9:20, and I had the DVR record it for viewing tomorrow along with MEDIUM.

I watched the season finale of CSI: MIAMI when the snitch in the lab was revealed and some surprising events happened that should set the show up for another explosive (if overdone) year.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2006, 08:40:57 PM »

Coming soon:

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2006, 08:44:03 PM »

Heading off to bed now.

Good night!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »

Have any of the denizens of NYC heard of Pale Male?

How To Impress Birds In Central Park

Ever since a red-tailed hawk named Pale Male made his home on a cornice above the 12th floor of an apartment building on Fifth Avenue at 74th Street in 1998, bird watchers have been making the pilgrimage to the toy-boat pond across the street in Central Park. On any given clement day, you’re bound to see a handful of bird watchers poised on benches, or hanging out in the shade of a tree, peering through their binoculars or telescopes, following the movements of Pale Male, his mate and their brood.

While most of Pale Male’s followers would probably be happy to share their equipment with curious passers-by, the crowds invariably flock to Lincoln Karim. Mr. Karim is known to have the largest telescope in Central Park—a 350-pound, 12-inch Meade LX200 telescope, which stands over six feet high, has a 3,000-mm. focal length and can be used to view such distant lands as Neptune (2.8 billion miles away), the Orion Nebula or the double cluster in the Pleiades.

Several times a week, the 40-year-old Trinidad-born Mr. Karim packs his Meade and an additional 150 pounds of equipment onto his motorized trolley cart, squeezes out his West 55th Street apartment building and heads to the toy-boat pond, where he sets up shop for the afternoon. "It is by no means drudgery," Mr. Karim said. "I consider it a form of exercise." He parks his cart along the granite edge of the pond facing the nest, unfolds the Meade, aligns his portable staircase, positions it under the sight, and then sits back and waits for the action.

The site has some of the most amazing pictures of the Upper West Side I've ever seen - and great pictures of the local Hawks:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2006, 08:48:15 PM »

FJL - checked and responded.

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2006, 08:59:15 PM »

Ohmigod, a new avitar!

Is that a good ohmigod or a bad ohmigod? :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2006, 09:01:20 PM »

I like your new avatar Cillaliz!

Thank you,

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »

Nice new avatar, DR Cillaliz.

Thanks Matt

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2006, 09:03:03 PM »

Coming soon:

der Brucer

Beautiful Photo, der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2006, 09:07:23 PM »

Time to get some sleep. It was a long day, but I am happy...I have my necklaces....Ginny, not sure if I'll get a necklace this time, but I'll probably find a trinket of some sort...it's becoming a tradition
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up