Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I AM THE STEAM MAN  (Read 28500 times)

Ben

Re:I AM THE STEAM MAN
« Reply #300 on: November 21, 2003, 06:57:40 PM »

A late post before bed. Don't know how much I'll be around tomorrow. Have errands to run and I have to help a friend set up an old laptop which he inherited.

I need to go to Tea and Sympathy Take Away to get an early Christams pudding to have at Thanksgiving. I love Christmas pudding with brandied hard sauce. What a treat.

Ben

« Reply #301 on: November 21, 2003, 06:59:12 PM »

François, glad you like Miss LaMott. It was a lot of fun to make the CD. We will watch Relative Values tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 06:59:47 PM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #302 on: November 21, 2003, 07:00:55 PM »

Well, that pushed us over three hundred. Wasn't expecting to do that. Now is a good reason to stop and go to bed early. Nite all.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #303 on: November 21, 2003, 07:01:36 PM »

My pleasure. I'm an aspect ratio junkie anyway. I really am interested in knowing that stuff, and, for example,  I badger HBO for showing Panavision movies on their high definition channel panned and scanned. What I don't understand, and what they won't tell me, is why they are so inconsistent about it. Sometimes, they'll show it properly matted in high definition, but more often than not, they don't, and it makes me FURIOUS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #304 on: November 21, 2003, 07:02:31 PM »

I did the JFK watching last weekend, intending to take a break in the middle, but, I find the movie just so engrossing and well-made that I couldn't stop it. . .the newly released documentary on the new edition is quite good too. . .all this week, THE HISTORY CHANNEL has ben showing "The Men Who Killed Kennedy," but, alas, I've forgotten to tape it. . .

I won't even go into the Michael Jackson argument except to ask the DRs if anyone saw the brilliant LAW & ORDER episode which featured a celebrity who dangled his baby out of a hotel window, and was found out to be a pedophile who was paying off a victim's family, so that the victim's sibling could receive cancer treatment? ? ?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

François

« Reply #305 on: November 21, 2003, 07:05:01 PM »

Good night, Ben!

When you're in England, should we call you Big Ben?

I know it's lousy... but I "had to" do it!

Matt H.

« Reply #306 on: November 21, 2003, 07:08:44 PM »

Yes, DR td, I saw that segment of LAW & ORDER. It came toward the end of last season. Wonderful show, but then I'm a pushover for L&O anyway.

Emily

« Reply #307 on: November 21, 2003, 07:10:53 PM »

Matt, I was supposed to go see the new Matrix movie.

Judging from the reviews I think my friends should actually be thanked and not chided! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jed

« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2003, 07:14:52 PM »

TD - I've seen probably five or six of the 8-part "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" documentary series, and found it quite good.  I didn't realize (silly me) that they had been reairing it, or I would have been taping it, too.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Michael

« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2003, 07:15:03 PM »

No, no, no!
DR Michael Shayne!
You haven't done anything wrong!
I was NOT offended! I'm the one who was a little "cynical" -- sarcastic?? -- and was making a connection between two different subjects which can also be touchy!

I'm sorry my sayings were confusing and, actually, DR Charles Pogue made things even more explicit on post #281 : I quite agree with him too!

Well it was onlely one joke of many I have heard. There is one even more raunchy which I will not  repeat on this family board. It's funny but not for kids.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2003, 07:16:36 PM »

Yes, it has gotten very downbeat reviews. You probably saved yourself some valuable time and money.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #311 on: November 21, 2003, 07:21:56 PM »

You may be right, DR Emily.   ;D  You know, I have a niece named Emily.  She lives in Georgia and is a probation officer down there.

Celebrities and the police have always had a rather stormy relationship.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #312 on: November 21, 2003, 07:23:07 PM »

François, glad you like Miss LaMott. It was a lot of fun to make the CD. We will watch Relative Values tomorrow.

The film was never released here in the USA. Only on pay per view. IMHOP even Julie Andrews couldn't save this update of Noel Coward
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 07:42:58 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2003, 07:31:30 PM »

For those who want to know:
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #314 on: November 21, 2003, 07:35:34 PM »

Ain't that "funny"?

I was just reading internet reviews of RELATIVE VALUES.
The film was not released in France either!

It's only available on dvd!

One critic says that Julie is not believable as a countess; is she more believable as a Dame?
I don't know!

I still think she was TERRIFIC in DUET FOR ONE and that film did not get the recognition it deserved, mainly "thanks" to Orion...

Tomovoz

« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2003, 07:37:14 PM »

Maybe it depends on your mood. I enjoyed "relative values". It brought back good memories of a 1973 London performance of the show and considering how "dated" the whole "class" idea is etc, I still found it enjoyable. Seeing some of the actors was a bonus too!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2003, 07:40:01 PM »

I love D. Provine and am happy to see her getting her due here at haineshisway.com.  I'm getting my do here at haineshisway.com and my do looks dooliscious.

I'm happy to see that despite the disparate opinions expressed that, while those opinions are written strongly, we, unlike other sites, have not resorted to name-calling and bashing.  Which is why I love you people large.  Thank you for showing restraint and just stating your positions.  My position is sitting.  I like it very much, for I am sitting in my home environment.  Let's keep these excellent posts coming, shall we?

Finally, there is no more heinous thing than child abuse.  Children only deserve good.  They deserve to be children.  That's one of the reasons I get so annoyed with "role models" like Britney Spears and the way the advertisers in this country try to promote things to young people that are totally inappropriate.  Miss Spears knows her fan base is mostly young pre-teen and just post-teen girls.  She cannot be so stupid as to not know the image she presents.

François

« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2003, 07:43:09 PM »

Nice picture, DR Tom from Oz!

Trivia:

Did you know that some episodes of that TV series were directed by Robert Altman?

Check this!

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Stage/2950/Crime/Roaring20s.htm

Matt H.

« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2003, 07:43:50 PM »

I agree about DUET FOR ONE. It's clearly one of her best performances and one that too few people have seen.

Michael

« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2003, 07:44:15 PM »

I think Dorothy Provibe recorded a cover version of Thoroughly Modern Millie singing songs that were in the film and others that were not.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2003, 07:48:57 PM »

I didn't know that MDS.  Another LP to find!

Last thing I saw Miss Dorothy - great Scott that Miss Dorothy - in was something like "Police Story" or the like in an episode that was directed by her husband....I forget his name.

Thanks for the LP cover pic Tom!  And I love the tap bands she wears to keep her shoes from flying off when she does her kicks.

Miss Allison Hayes made a guest star appearance on The Alaskans....let me see if I can find that picture.

Michael

« Reply #321 on: November 21, 2003, 07:52:27 PM »

Dorothy Provine is married to Robert Day. I tried to find a project that they did together and could not find one
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #322 on: November 21, 2003, 07:53:53 PM »

Dorothy Provine was born in Deadwood SD. Wonder if this is the same Deadwood (different years of course) that is portrayed in Calamity Jane?
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #323 on: November 21, 2003, 07:57:54 PM »

Mr. Kimmel and I were having an interesting conversation last week while munching on prime rib about the strange dichotomy of parents today who seem to gleefully encourage the sexualization of their children, allowing them to tart up in clothing that's provocative and revealing and allowing them to watch inappropriate movies and TV (and sometimes do more that just "allow".  But become the one to actually "do" the sexualization of their children.  Jon Benet and her overwrought make-up and dress and "cuchi-cuchi" moves come to mind), and then these same parents are the first to get outraged and find it inconceivable when some child gets molested by a sexual predator.  When you encourage your child at an inappropriate age to become a sexual object how can you be surprised when he/she is suddenly perceived that way?  Very scary!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #324 on: November 21, 2003, 07:57:58 PM »

The Alaskans - starring Miss Dorothy Provine and guest starring Miss Allison Hayes....but I sure don't know what the hell they are doing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2003, 07:58:58 PM »

I have been very remiss in my photo sharing.  So, I will now make up for it posthaste by haste posting some photos for your mental delectation.  Here's one now:  This is the original artwork used for the original poster of 110 In the Shade.  The auction house I got it from didn't even know what it was, so I got it for just a few hundred bucks.

Matt H.

« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2003, 07:59:00 PM »

It has to be the same Deadwood, DR Michael. Doris and Howard Keel sing "The Black Hills of Dakota" during the picture!  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2003, 08:01:12 PM »

Here is a photo of a theater composer and myself.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2003, 08:02:46 PM »

What great photos!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2003, 08:04:32 PM »

MDS - Robert Day, yes!  The television show I saw must have been in the 1970's and it was Police Story not sure if there is an episode guide for it on the net....surely there is!

And here is a picture of Miss Dorothy Provine I call "Give him the ooh la la!"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up