Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A MOOT POINT  (Read 42742 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:A MOOT POINT
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2004, 12:13:32 PM »

An interesting Interview with Alfred Molina:

Alfred Molina Steps Into Big Shoes in 'Fiddler'Saturday, February 28, 2004
By Mark Kennedy

(excerpts)

One thing Molina didn't worry about was that he isn't Jewish. "In a way, that's irrelevant. It's not about nationality — it transcends it. Does that mean I have to be Danish to play Hamlet?" he asks.

"I'm sure that on some personal or maybe familial level, a Jewish actor might have a connection or might strike a resonant chord in a very private or personal way. But ultimately that's not really what it's about," he says.

"What it's about is finding a way to tell a story as authentically and as clearly as possible. I don't have to be Jewish to play a Jew. I don't have to have that experience. My job is to give the audience that experience."

He recalls at the age of 13 or 14 walking past an antique store and looking through the window at its  spiral staircase. "I can remember looking at this staircase from outside the store and singing to myself, 'I'd have one large staircase going up and one even longer coming down."'

Now, all these years later, Molina isn't worried about the inevitable comparisons he expects to face as the anchor of a beloved show.

"That's OK," he says. "I take a kind of cosmic view. ... The short time in the world that I'm playing Tevye, I am Tevye. And when I'm done, it'll be someone else and it'll be their turn."

der Brucer (If he were a rich man he'd go to NYC and see the show)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2004, 12:20:15 PM »

I have never seen CAMP & don’t plan to now.  I don’t watch the current reality shows.  I once watched half an hour of BIG BROTHER, the sole purpose, to see my cousin’s name as producer in the credits.  I’m not close to my cousin anymore so I’ve never talked to him about the show.  

I did watch most of the early talk shows: PEOPLE ARE FUNNY, TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES, YOU ASKED FOR IT, WHAT'S MY LINE, TO TELL THE TRUTH, I'VE GOT A SECRET, CANDID CAMERA, YOU ARE THERE,  PERSON TO PERSON and JEOPARDY.  

JRand53 THE COMEDY OF ERRORS is directed by Bill Rauch, whom I am not familiar with.  If it were by Libby Appel I would truly hesitate to go.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2004, 12:37:21 PM »

I take a very dim view of reality shows.

Perhaps I'm spoiled, but, when I turn on primte-time TV, I expect to see the creative product of a writer who's been paid for his work.  When the networks, instead, decide to put a camera in front of "ordinary people" (who don't get paid like actors do), it just strikes me as so lazy . . . I have trouble getting past that and enjoying the show.

That said, I must admit that there's been an episode or two of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy that moved me to laughter and tears.  I like that the five recurring "characters" are different from each other, and the subjects of their makeovers seem free of homophobia.

DW Joy and I took a lovely walk on this very spring-like day to Riverside Church and environs.  I was impressed by the new dorm next to The Manhattan School of Music - the best new building on Broadway in quite some time, at least viewed from the southwest.  So, of course, Jay's tour doesn't seem boring to me at all.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2004, 12:37:56 PM »

Panni I would like an evening with relatives from my past.  I would like to meet my mother’s father, whom I never met (due to a very sad tale).  I would like to meet my father’s grandfather or any relative who can tell me where to find the connections, proving I am related to a very famous rabbi known as the Goan of Vilna.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2004, 01:02:35 PM »

I'd be quite happy to meet a few of the Kimlets at dinner - I am not much into celebrities past or present.
I am of course not disclosing which kimlets would be first on my list but they would know!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2004, 01:36:37 PM »

DR Jane:  You echo my sentiments exactly.  My family history is shrouded in mystery, as my father and his brothers (and one sister who sadly later committed suicide before I was born) were semi-orphaned (their Mom died and their Dad decided he could not take care of all the kids by himself) at an early age and put in foster care.  My sister managed, by Divine Intervention, to find incredible family records in London years ago when she lived over there, and we too are related to several famous rabbis (in England).

I just recently managed to track down the foster home where my Dad and his siblings were kept and they sent me absolutely heartbreaking information, including the fact that we have (had?) an Aunt we never knew about who was evidently put up for adoption when the other kids were put into foster care.  This lack of knowledge about my "roots" has always been a gaping hole in my soul for some reason.  Maybe you can understand, too.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2004, 01:48:31 PM »

Having not discovered my birth family until only 10 years ago, I fully appreciate the need for filling that "gaping hole".  The knowledge of "self" is so important and some people without "the gaping hole" don't seem to understand that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 03:22:00 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2004, 02:02:08 PM »

Jane, Tomovoz and JMK - Yes, I really understand - or feel - what you're talking about. I always envy people who can rattle off the family tree. On the other hand, those of us for whom it's a mystery, have the infinite capacity of our imaginations to fill in the gaps. I have no idea of who any of my relatives are on my father's side and will probably never find out.
I had an older cousin who, although quite normal in other respects, came out of the Holocaust with what I suppose was some kind of protective mechanism (she and her sister were experinted on by Mengele - her sister was killed) - she was convinced that our family came from European royalty - not Jewish royalty, of course. She would go into the most elaborate tales of who was related to whom. And unless you knew the truth it made perfect sense!

Panni

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2004, 02:02:35 PM »

JMK - What a tragic story!

Panni

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2004, 02:03:44 PM »

, proving I am related to a very famous rabbi known as the Goan of Vilna.  

Oy! I'm impressed!

Panni

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2004, 02:06:06 PM »

Having not discovered my birth family until only 10 years ago,

If this isn't too personal, were you happy with what you discovered and did they welcome you into the fold?

Panni

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2004, 02:10:48 PM »

I've just read, in Friday's Daily Variety, a very thoughtful review of the new Fiddler. The reviewer calls it Chekovian and makes me want to see it.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2004, 02:15:50 PM »

So you ask a reality show question on a day I don't have time to post :)

I'll type quickly (as I'm expecting guests any minute).

My favorites: Survivor, The Amazing Race, American Idol.

I also really like this year's show, The Apprentice.

And for DR Jed: Yes The Amazing Race is coming back (this summer I think).

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2004, 02:17:28 PM »

If this isn't too personal, were you happy with what you discovered and did they welcome you into the fold?
Mostly a positive experience. I am quite close to my full younger brother and his family. My mother and I have "drifted" a little. My father (not with my mother) has been fine but he is now 95. I am the closest to my father's son from his first marriage and his children and grandchildren. My half-brother and I are similar in so many ways. I was also forunate enough to meet my mother's mother a few years before she died. I visited her quite a few times and we were good friends. She had not known of my existence!
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2004, 02:20:22 PM »

THE AMAZING RACE was renewed by CBS last fall after it won the Best Reality SHow Emmy. It'll be back this summer.

"1960s/70s - Candid Camera and this one show that was sort of like star search. It had a contestant and, I think, a celebrity reenact a scene from a classic movie. Whatever the show was it was a favorite of mine as a kid around 1974 or 1975."

DR MBarnum, wasn't this Don Adams' SCREEN TEST?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 02:21:08 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2004, 02:32:45 PM »

Thank you for answering, Tomovoz.

Panni

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2004, 02:33:48 PM »

It must have been something for your mother's mother to discover late in life that she had a grandson she did not know existed!

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2004, 02:35:20 PM »

A pleasure Panni/Anna. The conversations in the UK movie  "Secrets and Lies" were very realistic. The first meeting between mother and daughter was "spot on".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2004, 02:40:05 PM »

I think my grandmother had trouble accepting the secretiveness of my mother - a lack of trust and love! My grandmother would certainly have coped with the situation in 1945 despite the views of the world at that time. "Shame" was not part of her world when love was involved. I took my father to meet his ex mother in law a couple of times. Their meetings were a delight and so much more relaxed than those with mother and daughter!
Is there a screenplay here?
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2004, 02:45:28 PM »

Is there a screenplay here?
Yes. "Secrets and Lies"  ...Unless you focused on the fascinating relationship between to old lady and the man who is the father of her daughter's child. Might be a wonderful novel first.

Panni

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2004, 02:48:32 PM »

Hate to leave this discussion, but I have some things to do. Will be back later.

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2004, 02:51:08 PM »

My father and his mother-in-law were only a few years apart in age. My father was an amateur entertainer (a ventriloquist) and had a joke about everything. He could make my grandmother laugh so easily - people think the elderly will be offended by "dirty jokes". They are not!   Another side story for the novel. My two brothers hanged the ventriloquist doll at one stage!
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2004, 02:54:01 PM »

Re:  screenplays.  I am actually developing a screenplay combining my Uncle's spy trial with my father and his brothers' upbringing in the foster homes.  Stay tuned.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2004, 03:06:49 PM »

Having not discovered my birth family until only 10 years ago, I fully appreciate the need for filling that "gaping hole".  The knowledge of "self" is so important and people without "the gaping hole" don't seem to understand that.
Can we amend that to "many people without the gaping hole," Tomovoz?  I've known about my family history, on both sides, for what seems forever, but for some reason the two men I've had as lovers share having been adopted as part of their pasts.  (That they also share being from Pennsylvania, having had children, and served in the military suggests that I've got a bizarre, obscure "type" with which I fall in love.   :-\)

Jason, my first lover, had been able to track down his birth family to a little town in Ireland.  Apparently, there was some concern among his brethren that he would attempt to claim part of the family inheritance, and it took him some time (and several pints) to convince them otherwise.  After that, there was quite a bit of celebrating (and several more pints).  So I know the look he got in his eyes, every time he told me of it.  I could hear the sound of his voice in what you wrote.

Der Brucer's story is best told his way, of course.  But there is something in the eyes and the voice...

Anyone sensitive to the lives of those close to them should be able to understand.  I suppose there are those who only care about their own stories, and never bother to listen to anyone else's.  I'd like to think I'm not part of this second group.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2004, 03:24:57 PM »

DR MBarnum, wasn't this Don Adams' SCREEN TEST?

Yes, MattH, that was the show! I was picturing Don Adam's in my head, but could't quite get his name for some reason. It was a fun show as I recall. I can remember vividly that they had contestants reenact a scene from BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and many other classic movies. I am thinking it was one contestant matched up with some celebrity or other for each scene and then someone judged whose scene was done best.

Michael

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2004, 03:31:19 PM »

DR Michael Shayne, I remember the series Sirens! Did you work on it at the same time the John Terlesky was on it? If so would you mind telling me everything there is to know about the man (one of my few modern day favorite actors)!

No. He did not make it to the syndicated version. He was replaced by Claude Genest (sp?) who was later written out of the series. The syndicated version only lasted a season.
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2004, 04:05:09 PM »

Panni I would like an evening with relatives from my past.  I would like to meet my mother’s father, whom I never met (due to a very sad tale).  I would like to meet my father’s grandfather or any relative who can tell me where to find the connections, proving I am related to a very famous rabbi known as the Goan of Vilna.  

Jane, you know the rules!  No Goaning at HHW.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2004, 04:22:10 PM »

Good evening everyone!

I received my tour bookand maps from AAA.  I think I am going to be very pleased with the hotel I chose.  From cross referencing the maps, it does look like I am in the heart of a lot of GREAT points of interest and just across the street from concert hall.  :-)

I'm very excited about the carriage tours I read about.  If I ever make to NYC, I want to take one in Central Park.  I didn't know there would be one in SLC.  

Now, I'm kinda sorry I didn't stay an extra day or two.  I don't know if I will have time to do/see everything I want to.  We'll see.   :)  

I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and will have quite a tale to tell I'm sure.

I'm already making my list of things to get for the trip.  I'm mostly worried about the weather.  I saw on the temp. chart in the tour book that May in SLC runs from 45 to 72.  It was 45 in Tampa last night and that was COLD for me!  

DR Denise - great fish picture and Congrats on the diet....you have inspired me to try....  AND I am on that Ticketmaster ticket list, and you only get something once a week or so AND there is an option in each email to discontinue being on the list...and link to click...so it is easy to remove yourself....as I have been told so often to do.

I'm glad you like my fish, JRand.  I think he's pretty special myself.   :)  

All I can say about the diet is, "Go for it!".  It never hurts to try.  I have to laugh at the timing.  I honestly didn't start the diet because of going on these trips.  It was because of what the Doctor said about my BP (which is also going down).  But I won't say that I'm unhappy with it!

Thanks also for the Ticketmaster tip.  I want to know the instant the tickets go on sale so I be on the phone to get them.  Does that e-mail tell you ahead of time when the event your interested in is going to go on sale?

DERBRUCER said:

Danise was happy to state:

Quote:
My face seems to be where I notice it the most.  

Between your ears, we trust. We would all be chagrined should you lose your face.

She also confessed:
Quote:
...my Mom used to pack Ketchup and cheese for my lunch.  I HATED them.

The Ketchup  the cheese and Mom?

I don't know about the between the ears--I'm rather happy to be seeing my cheek bones again.    I'm also losing my urge to crow like rooster with a waddle.   :D

As far as the ketchup and cheese sandwiches--Yes I did hate them.  And sometimes Mom for packing them.  Yuck.  Having said that, I had a toasted cheese sandwich (low fat cheese and low carb bread with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter) for dinner tonight.

I can understand how it feels to be cut off or not have family.  All I have is my Mother, the dogs and the fish.  When I have dark thoughts, I torture myself with thinking about what I'll do when my Mom is gone and I have an accident.  "Is there someone we can call for you?" they'll ask.  What will I say?  

I'm not much on those shows either.  I do like some game shows.  I have way to many favorites both old and new to name.  Right now, I like "Lingo" and "Who Wants to be a Millionare?".

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2004, 04:36:49 PM »

JMK, Panni, Tomovoz and SWW your stories are sad, beautiful and my heart feel for them all.  

When I found my mother’s missing father, though in essence I only found  his communal unmarked grave, I cried.  The thought of it always brings tears to my eyes.  As SWW put it so eloquently, I had found the piece to my gaping hole.  One day I hope to go there and leave something of mine behind.  
JMK I look forward to the book.  It will be a success and Panni will transfer it to the big screen.   :)

I thought SECRET & LIES was a wonderful, moving movie.  I’m pleased to have personal insight to the mother, daughter fist meeting.

Panni

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2004, 04:54:12 PM »

My father and his mother-in-law were only a few years apart in age. My father was an amateur entertainer (a ventriloquist) and had a joke about everything. He could make my grandmother laugh so easily - people think the elderly will be offended by "dirty jokes". They are not!   Another side story for the novel. My two brothers hanged the ventriloquist doll at one stage!
So why don't you write the novel, Tomovoz? Or the non-fiction autobiography?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up