Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JULY DANCE  (Read 17466 times)

Kerry

Re: THE JULY DANCE
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 08:00:37 AM »

Good Morning.  Happy first day of July.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2009, 08:01:02 AM »

My question for BK:

One of my all-time favorite movie scores is RUN OF THE ARROW by Victor Young.  I think it was his last.

Any chance of ever seeing that soundtrack out on CD, either by Kritzerland or somebody else?

I believe it's owned by Universal and they're a tough nut to crack.

Kerry

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2009, 08:01:52 AM »

Apparently it's also Build a Scarecrow Day.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2009, 08:03:34 AM »

I'm up.  As per usual, very noisy this morning, and then the noise becomes less as soon as I leave the bed.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 08:05:08 AM »

ASK BK #2

What about Composer Demos for well known shows like

Kander/Ebb         Chicago
Styne/Merrill        Funny Girl

with songs cut prior to Broadway and songs that did make it to Broadway but had different lyrics.

There is a label (Bayview?) who've done some demo releases - I don't think they sell very well.  Clearances can be a nightmare, however, depending on how the demo was recorded and by whom.  I do have quite a few of these things, so who knows.

What about the demo for "Nudie"??

:D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »

Ice Cream month?  It's about time!  I've been faux celebrating all year!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »

DR Jose - the Cranberry Deli is now 24/7.  We found that out Sunday evening when we went over there about 8pm and asked if they were closing soon.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2009, 08:30:20 AM »

A deli open 24 hours?  Those New Yorkers know how to LIVE!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »

Well, I had planned on showering much later in the day closer to the time for me to leave for dinner at my friend's house. However, now I think I'll shower when I go down in a few minutes so I will have that out of the way and can spend as much time as I need this afternoon finishing my work project and getting it uploaded to the worksite.

Trying to balance time to its best advantage is not always easy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »

Sorry to say that even though I've never loved the HTF, mostly due to the despots who run it and moderate it, some of the most ego-ridden and ignorant people ever, I did go there to check out stuff about DVD and now Blu-Ray releases and to read MattH's reviews.  Their discussion board, while way too busy for my tastes, was run by vBulletin, which is sort of like most discussion boards, including this one.  Their new discussion board is ridiculous - unfriendly, cold, bad-looking, difficult to navigate, filled with ads everywhere you look, slow as molasses, and on and on and on.  Very few over there seem happy with it and I think it was a major miscalculation on the part of the owners.  Simply, they were contacted by a company who promised them huge buckets of dough from ad revenue.  And since the site began born out of the ego of its owners, and since the ego stuff is probably old these eleven years later, now it's all about revenue for them - they admit they both have day jobs and they want the HTF to pay them enough so they can quit.  Are - they - MAD?  People come there to read posts, not to purchase things, not to see ads floating around on every page, and since we're in a recession, this was not a very good time to do what they did.  Nor will it work. 

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 08:33:14 AM »

Heading down now to take care of business.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2009, 08:33:44 AM »

George

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2009, 08:37:19 AM »

Well, the roofers are here and I need to get ready for work.

Have a good day, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2009, 08:46:20 AM »

]

DR MBarnum, he or she is talking to you! This Bollywood film is almost lke Pirandello, but it isn't Italian.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:00:14 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2009, 08:46:24 AM »

I'm baaaaaccck.  Oy, what a month--I have finally finished the mammoth pre-records, which were an extremely daunting task.  Of course, then the director and producer decided to magically come up with enough money to hire more pit musicians, so I have been scrambling to find people for a show that opens next week, and actually have done that, too!  So, as strange as it seems, my life gets considerably easier now that we're in the "tech home stretch" and about to open.

Oh, wait a minute--isn't there a Bar Mitzvah or something coming up?  Oy!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2009, 08:48:34 AM »

Ice Cream month?  It's about time!  I've been faux celebrating all year!

I call it preparation.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »

Has anyone co-opted "Your Hair is Ripe But You're Still a Dodo" for their coming novel yet?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »

Boy--I show up again and everyone high tails it outta here.  I showered this morning and everything.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2009, 09:13:37 AM »

Good morning, DR JMK....50 years ago, Frances was doing her daily television show and enjoying Indianapolis.  This month she would have been getting ready for live shows from the State Fair!

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »

This has been a delightfully relaxing and refreshing morning.  We're about to head out for some lunch and HAIR - bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2009, 09:38:18 AM »

Good morning, DR JMK....50 years ago, Frances was doing her daily television show and enjoying Indianapolis.  This month she would have been getting ready for live shows from the State Fair!

And 65 years ago she and Lillian were about to have their little coffee klatsch in front of assembled press.  After which she ran away again.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »

Good Afternoon!

DR Ginny - Good to know that Cranberry has gone 24/7.  Perfect for all those late-night rehearsals at the Roundabout Rehearsal studios next door, I guess. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2009, 10:12:15 AM »

A deli open 24 hours?  Those New Yorkers know how to LIVE!!

We sure do! ;)

Does anyone know if it's actually cheaper - maybe even easier - for some places to stay open 24 hours than to close for a couple of hours each evening?

*I can't remember the particular restaurant I'm thinking of right now, but their hours of operation are 5:00AM-3:00AM.  I've always thought, "Why not just stay open 24 hours?"
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »

Here is a new show out at Universal - Florida I guess.  I am hoping NO ONE involved has Broadway aspirations.  They obviously never saw the original CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU42USygGL4

Please remind me to skip this show next time I go to Universal Studios.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »

Actually, I suspect that CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON could turn out pretty well, since it does have a theatre-oriented pedigree.

This is a link to the website of its composer Fred Barton

http://www.fredbarton.com/latestnews.html

Fred [Barton] is co-composer-lyricist-librettist for Universal's THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, playing at the Universal Studios Park in Los Angeles. After 20 years, Fred joins forces again with co-lyricist, co-librettist, and director Gerard Alessandrini. Jonathan Tolins is the scriptwriter, Lynne Taylor-Corbett is the choreographer, and the production is co-produced by Marc Routh and Broadway Attractions.

Ben

« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »

I am back from Starr. It went very well. The COO and the President were very happy about the outcome (those being people from my place of employment). The people at Starr also seemed suitably impressed.

I look forward to getting on the train tomorrow afternoon and playing Tetris until I get into Ronkonkoma Station.

Ben

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »

Fred Barton also did the marvelous, wonderful and hysterical

Miss Gulch Returns

from which comes the song

Pour Me a Man

Click on that button when you get to the site if you want to hear it.

JMK

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »

I will tell you one thing I love about the new HTF.  It finally works with MSN.  For some reason, when I tried viewing pages in MSN (with their proprietary IE add-on), pages would simply cancel, no matter how many times I disabled pop-ups, etc.  The only way I could view HTF was by going through a browser itself--whether that be IE or Firefox or whatever.  The new Board software works just fine with MSN, which is usually what I have up and running, so I don't need to switch back and forth.

George

« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »

Actually, I suspect that CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON could turn out pretty well, since it does have a theatre-oriented pedigree.

This is a link to the website of its composer Fred Barton

http://www.fredbarton.com/latestnews.html

Fred [Barton] is co-composer-lyricist-librettist for Universal's THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, playing at the Universal Studios Park in Los Angeles. After 20 years, Fred joins forces again with co-lyricist, co-librettist, and director Gerard Alessandrini. Jonathan Tolins is the scriptwriter, Lynne Taylor-Corbett is the choreographer, and the production is co-produced by Marc Routh and Broadway Attractions.

I have "Miss Gulch Returns." :D I think that I would want to see "The Creature!"

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  How did it get to be July already?  Hard to believe I've been retired for half a year.

Five years for me DR GINNY....and yes it's hard to believe!

Four years and three months, exactly - if I live that long.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up