Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE  (Read 82399 times)

Jennifer

Re:NATURE TAKING ITS COURSE
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2004, 10:41:50 AM »

I am ready for the Page Three dance!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2004, 10:43:09 AM »

Luckily, the odor is totally confined to my bedroom.  I'm going to ask Mr. Pest Control Man to look some more today, because the thought of going another week is truly nauseating.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2004, 10:43:35 AM »

Final clue:   Read Peter Palmer's biography in the Broadway souvenir booklet of Lil Abner.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2004, 10:44:55 AM »

Hope they don't play Cinderella during Pledge Week, although it was originally on CBS, (correct?) so it probably had commercials in 1957. Maybe they will show the entire production, including the commercials from that time. That would be fun.

Last week I watched the CBS Roz Russell Wonderful Town (which was originally broadcast two weeks before I was a-born.)  It had all the commercials intact and they were a treat to watch.  Dorothy Collins hawking Westclock watches, Tom Posten's (then) wife giving herself a home permanent and my favorite, "Hey Mable! Black Label! Carling Black Label Beer!"

Definately looking forward to the Julie Andrews Cinderella.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2004, 10:45:27 AM »

Final clue:   Read Peter Palmer's biography in the Broadway souvenir booklet of Lil Abner.

Well, now there you go, I have no such souvenir booklet!

I will take a stab at it again...Jackie Gleason was Peter Palmer's inspiration.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2004, 10:46:21 AM »

SWW:  we know what you're going through, having had to put both our elderly dogs to sleep over the last two years.  This is the first time in our lives we haven't had at least one dog, and it's been hell.  We're already counting the days until after our vacation is over this summer and we can get at least one new dog.  We're thinking of getting them from a local Golden Retriever rescue organization.
I most fully approve!  Rescue groups are a great way to bring animals into your life.  

One of the factoids der Brucer and I learned during the DogWalk on Saturday, which was a fundraiser for the Delaware Humaine Society, was that the two age-groups that are easier to place are little puppies and older, adult dogs.  The dogs that are a year old or so (think the equivalent of a human teenager) are much harder to find homes for, because they're beyond the "cute" stage but are still growing (and getting into trouble).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2004, 10:47:05 AM »

Jackie Gleason is Mrs Palmer
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2004, 10:48:26 AM »

I have al LI'L ABNER souvenir book!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2004, 10:48:58 AM »

OK, OK, I give up.  No, wait a minute. You give up.  According to the Lil Abner souvenir booklet, Peter Palmer is (was) married to a dancer named....

Jackie Gleason!!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2004, 10:49:16 AM »

Page Three Dance!!!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D :) >:([/move]
                               [move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] 8)  :-*??? ::)[/move]                           [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :-X :P:-\ :-* :'([/move]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 10:52:11 AM by Jennifer »

JMK

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2004, 10:49:56 AM »

Elmoore gets the sparkling prize.  Unfortunately, there is no sparkling prize.  But you get it anyway.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2004, 10:50:14 AM »

Apparently, the dead rodent has become a maggot nest and the flies are hatching from the carcass.

The finishing touch for me, though, was the news that the stench was horrific, that the deodorizer had not kicked in, and then, just a few posts later, BK was eating a tuna pasta salad.

Dear Readers, I nearly fwowed up.

And that would have really completed the David Lynch reference I think you were unconsciously striving for.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2004, 10:59:30 AM »

According to Playbill On-Line PBS will broadcast the Julie Andrews Cinderella. The link to the article is below. I didn't see a date for airing in the article. It's showing just before the production is released on DVD. They are looking for a color copy but said if they only have black and white then they will release it that way. ...Hope they don't play Cinderella during Pledge Week, although it was originally on CBS, (correct?) so it probably had commercials in 1957. Maybe they will show the entire production, including the commercials from that time. That would be fun.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/85828.html
The kinescope that der Brucer and I saw was in black and white.  I'm not sure they had color cameras in the studio where the original was produced.  As I recall, the commercials were by Pepsi-Cola, which advertised their soft drink as "healthful"!

(These days, of course, the product placement guys would have Julie and her prince, Jon Cypher, kanoodling over a couple of bottles of the stuff.  This would have been after losing the battle to have the pumpkin covered with Pepsi decals.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2004, 11:00:34 AM »

Dan:  BK's home is haunted.

It has a long history of strange deaths.

Flying dead things.

Dead animals at his doorstep.

Dead bees.

Singing birds that don't seem to be there.

And then he was trying to adopt a dog named Lucky who peed every time BK looked at her.  I'm thinking Lucky could see all the dead things.  That's what I'm thinking.

Now...you were saying about David Lynch...or M. Night Shyamalan?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2004, 11:07:19 AM »

Kelsey made it through the night, and doesn't seem to be in pain.  However, he doesn't want to eat, and is sleeping most of the time.

Der Brucer is feeling very sad, of course.  He was the one who found Kelsey at the pound, and they've always belonged to each other.  Marty is also very concerned, and goes over and washes his old friend.

Our thanks to all for your concern and wishes.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2004, 11:07:30 AM »

I thought it was Nicole Kidman!

Allison Hayes smelled Nicole Kidman?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2004, 11:08:02 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  Come play wiz me.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2004, 11:13:51 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  Come play wiz me.

I don't think I would want to play a game called "Wiz Me," but ...to each his own!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 11:14:35 AM by MBarnum »

JMK

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2004, 11:14:42 AM »

All time greatest kid quote (of today, anyway):

The "Monster Legacy Collection" arrived from Amazon today (amazingly, only one day after the email that it had shipped), with the little statues.  I showed them to my 5 year old and said (pointing to the first one), "Who's that?"  "Frankenstein," he correctly answered.  I pointed to the next (Dracula) and said, "Who's that?"  And he quite calmly and wisely answered, "Bush?"  I am still laughing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2004, 11:17:42 AM »

An addendum to the Marc Shaiman evening last night.  He and his partner, Scott Whitman, are currently working on a stage version of Catch Me If You Can.  Marc performed one of the songs they've written so far, and if the rest of the stuff is as good as what we heard, they'll have another hit on their hands.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2004, 11:18:37 AM »

Now...you were saying about David Lynch...or M. Night Shyamalan?

Brrrrrrr!  I smell dead people...
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2004, 11:19:08 AM »

I don't think I would want to play a game called "Wiz Me," but ...to each his own!
Next time you're vacationing in Los Angeles, you need to get invited to a party or two.

8) ::)

JMK

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2004, 11:21:02 AM »

There was a brilliant parody of the opening credit sequence of Catch Me If You Can on last week's Simpsons.  One of the funniest things they've done in a long time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2004, 11:25:29 AM »

Well, you mustn't be fooled by one song.  It may turn out to be a great show (I personally find it a weird idea for a musical) or it may not.  Do Re Mi, a flop, gave us Make Someone Happy.  If you'd just heard that song, you'd have thought, "If they're all that good they'll have a hit on their hands".  Same with Here's That Rainy Day from Carnival of Flanders.  I remember hearing Stop Time from Big and I thought the same thing.

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2004, 11:29:06 AM »

Next time you're vacationing in Los Angeles, you need to get invited to a party or two.

8) ::)

Now you have tainted my innocent impression of Los Angeles!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2004, 11:30:00 AM »

JoseSPiano sure glad you are on the road to recovery.  I wouldn’t worry about the weight, you will begin to eat soon enough and gain some of the weight back.  As for ice cream, it can make reflux worse.  So can soda, chocolate and numerous other foods.  Email me if you want more information.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2004, 11:33:33 AM »

A few of my favorite Judy:

movies:
Easter Parade
For Me and My Gal
Meet Me In St. Louis
The Wizard of Oz

and songs:
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Mr. Monotony
The Trolley Song
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2004, 11:35:12 AM »

SWW and DerBrucer I’m so sorry about Kelsey.  I wasn’t going to send vibes but we will cry with you.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2004, 11:35:47 AM »

Well, you mustn't be fooled by one song.  It may turn out to be a great show (I personally find it a weird idea for a musical) or it may not.  Do Re Mi, a flop, gave us Make Someone Happy.  If you'd just heard that song, you'd have thought, "If they're all that good they'll have a hit on their hands".  Same with Here's That Rainy Day from Carnival of Flanders.  I remember hearing Stop Time from Big and I thought the same thing.

Also: "My Heart's Darling," from Three Wishes For Jamie.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2004, 11:41:51 AM »

Peter Palmer and Jackie Gleason are two people who have never been in my kitchen.

I really want to know what is going on in the room next door to the library. I swear I heard someone belching the tune to "Rose's Turn" from Gypsy, followed by wild applause.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up