Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SEMI-VACATION  (Read 8783 times)

Ginny

Re: THE SEMI-VACATION
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »

Back from Kroger, which wasn't nearly as crazy as I expected.  A lot of the people shopping seemed to be very indecisive or seemed to be people who don't shop very much.  And there was someone standing in front of almost every item on my list  ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »

Anything to get by DR JMK....anything to get by......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

OH.....tonight on TCM is Dirk Bogarde's version of A Tale of Two Cities.

It really is my favorite version of the book.....Bogarde is so good....and Dorothy Tutin and Christopher Lee....

Not the stellar supporting cast of the Ronald Colman version.....but very satisfying....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

Seth Rudetsky has written up a report on Ann Harada's Christmas Eve with Christmas Eve show in which she plays her Avenue Q character. This part about her duet with Norm Lewis had me in fits:

... they then sang "Wheels of a Dream," the Coalhouse and Sarah duet from Ragtime. Norm sounded so fantastic and Ann pushed Christmas Eve's Japanese accent to new heights. When Coalhouse sings "We'll go down South and see your people…," Sarah responds, "See my folks!" Of course, when Christmas Eve heard that Coalhouse would take her down South to see her people, her Japanese accent made her enthusiastically respond, "See my forks!"

ROTFLMAO!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »

Back from Costco - not too much of a madhouse.  I was surprised to see them selling some really high-end clothing, a brand I've only seen at Nordstom's.  They had sportcoats and this really nice heavier coat that kind of looks like a pea-coat but much nicer and is made of Marino wool, which is right up there with cashmere.  I purchased it - not cheap - but I really needed a warmer jacket and the only jacket I have is really ugly-looking - this one will get lots of wear and will be great for the NY sojourns.  And since I buy a coat once every four or five years, it was worth it.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »

Seth Rudetsky has written up a report on Ann Harada's Christmas Eve with Christmas Eve show in which she plays her Avenue Q character. This part about her duet with Norm Lewis had me in fits:

... they then sang "Wheels of a Dream," the Coalhouse and Sarah duet from Ragtime. Norm sounded so fantastic and Ann pushed Christmas Eve's Japanese accent to new heights. When Coalhouse sings "We'll go down South and see your people…," Sarah responds, "See my folks!" Of course, when Christmas Eve heard that Coalhouse would take her down South to see her people, her Japanese accent made her enthusiastically respond, "See my forks!"

ROTFLMAO!! ;D
I know it's stupid, but I'm still laughing at it.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Doug R

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »

OH.....tonight on TCM is Dirk Bogarde's version of A Tale of Two Cities.

It really is my favorite version of the book.....Bogarde is so good....and Dorothy Tutin and Christopher Lee....

Not the stellar supporting cast of the Ronald Colman version.....but very satisfying....

That version of the film cried out for color. I saw the film when it opened in 1958 and was disappointed that it was in black and white. Bogarde himself later said that it should have been made in color

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »

This is true DR DOUG R......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »

We need to see pictures of said coat.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »

By the way, there's a very deranged video of Barbara Eden singing "Don't Tell Mama" on www.BlueGobo.com. It's a six-minute striptease from a Bob Hope variety show and her voice sounds surprisingly good. I remember she toured in "Woman on the Year,' but I don't remember her singing being that good. Maybe because the score didn't call for as good of a range as she has.

Well, that was fun!  It's almost as much fun as Florence Henderson singing When You're Good to Mama in black leather S&M gear! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

Back from Costco - not too much of a madhouse.  I was surprised to see them selling some really high-end clothing, a brand I've only seen at Nordstom's.  They had sportcoats and this really nice heavier coat that kind of looks like a pea-coat but much nicer and is made of Marino wool, which is right up there with cashmere.  I purchased it - not cheap - but I really needed a warmer jacket and the only jacket I have is really ugly-looking - this one will get lots of wear and will be great for the NY sojourns.  And since I buy a coat once every four or five years, it was worth it.

I find the Costco here has really nice quality clothes. You'd think they would have more junk (like Walmart). But every piece of clothing i've ever gotten at Costco has been extremely good quality. I just got a pair of pajamas there. Only thing I hate is the sizing. I always have to wear stretch pants and try the pj pants over them!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »

Today's moment of hilarity from the kids (yes, they got it off the internet, but it's still funny):  Kim Jong Il's only mistake was not being Kim Jong Healthy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »

I find the Costco here has really nice quality clothes. You'd think they would have more junk (like Walmart). But every piece of clothing i've ever gotten at Costco has been extremely good quality. I just got a pair of pajamas there. Only thing I hate is the sizing. I always have to wear stretch pants and try the pj pants over them!

I've seen Penny wear nice clothes from Costco.  I don't like buying anything without trying it on, and there aren't any mirrors there. 

Jane

« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »

Because this subject came up yesterday I'm curious how others feel.  Keith & I said if we are on vacation & there is nothing we can do about it, please don't tell us our pet died until we return home.  Craig said he would want to know.  How would you feel about it?  Of course I would want to talk to my vet if any care or treatment were done before hand.

The next thing that came up, so I guess the people did need to know, is that they want an autopsy to know what happened.  I think I could leave instructions for that ahead of time.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »

I've seen Penny wear nice clothes from Costco. 

And another name is furiously crossed off Penny's holiday card list.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »

Penny doesn't send cards ;D  I'm not sending any again this year, well maybe a few across the ocean & to a couple of people I missed the last two years, let them know I'm still alive.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »

Jane

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »

I still haven't packed.  Laters as DR Jose would say.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »

They actually had mirrors, and I did try on the coat and the gal there was very helpful.  They actually brought her in just to sell this line of sportcoats and this coat I got. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

Picked up one little package and an important envelope - really happy that got here so quickly - now if this week's can get here equally quickly that would enable me to actually finish paying all these damnable bills.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »

We've had more views on Outside The Box episode four than ever this quickly, but You Tube has been frozen at the 579 number for hours and hours - it's so not fair - you lose all the views it's getting and I know it's getting a LOT because a LOT of people have shared this one.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »

They actually had mirrors, and I did try on the coat and the gal there was very helpful.  They actually brought her in just to sell this line of sportcoats and this coat I got. 

That explains the mirrors.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... It appears my mother has found a new favorite TV channel: LMN - the Lifetime Movie Network.

OY! and VEY!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »

Sappy movies?

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2011, 05:55:27 PM »

Vixmom the cat cartoon made me laugh.  I didn't frustrate my cats as I left soft unbreakable toys at the bottom of the tree.

You didn't have a Ricky.  He would insist on having what is on the top of the tree

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »

Vixmom the cat cartoon made me laugh.  I didn't frustrate my cats as I left soft unbreakable toys at the bottom of the tree.

You didn't have a Ricky.  He would insist on having what is on the top of the tree

My first Christmas tree was more of a Charley Brown tree.  Every day while I was away my cat climbed it  knocked it down breaking a few of the ornaments.  The following year I got a sturdier tree & put the soft ornaments at the bottom.  I never had a tree climber, in the house, again.  Oh, we  also got a cat tree, the kind with carpeting.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »

In other news...

I made it to Stella's in time for a late lunch of her famous Brunswick Stew* and Grilled Cheese Sandwich - which, I believe, was the first meal I had her location near VCU 25 years ago! I also made it there before Stella, herself, left for the day. :) We shared a nice hug, and very quick catch-up session. It was really great seeing her again. Her daughter, Katrina, was also there. It turns out her son, who is now 22(!?!), is a student at Parsons in NYC, and her daughter is graduating from high school this spring. -I remember giving Katrina shoulder rubs between shifts when she was pregnant with both of them.

The food was just as delicious as I remembered, and I'll be heading back later this week for a loaf of her wonderful holiday bread, Apple-Cinnamon-Black Walnut loaf. The new space is great too.

It was a very wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »

Sappy movies?

Victim movies.

Well, right now, they're running a marathon of sappy, victim Christmas movies.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up