Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS  (Read 43722 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2004, 02:32:27 PM »

My parents also picked up The Harvey Girls on DVD the other weekend. Was Angela Lansbury's voice dubbed in this movie? I know it wasn't uncommon, but I have also never seen a performance by her at such a young age.

I believe she does her own singing in both THE HARVEY GIRLS (which I love) and TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY (don't love).  Who's the lady opposite Ray Bolger with the voice that needs sandpapering?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2004, 02:34:03 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

;D >:( :( :o :) ;) :D ;D!!!!PAGE 5 DANCE!!!! ;D >:( :( :o :) ;) :D ;D :-* ::) :-* ::)

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2004, 02:34:56 PM »

I'm just a one-man-frenzy fool!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 02:45:57 PM by elmore3003 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2004, 02:38:23 PM »

Time to fight the traffic... and from the recent traffic reports, it may actually be faster for me to drive all around the Beltway and enter DC from the other side!  We shall see...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2004, 02:41:22 PM »

just caught up with the posts (sort of). I didn't see DR Jane's post about Echo until a few minutes ago.

***GOOD VIBES TO DD (DEAR DOG) ECHO!***

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2004, 02:46:54 PM »

Well, you've probably all heard that it's snowing in the Ohio Valley.  Man, is it SNOWING!!!  I knew this morning that things were serious when the Weather Channel had reporters on the scene in Dayton.  Fortunately, today was a day off for me and, if I'm lucky, my library will close tomorrow (as they did at 2pm today) and then I'll be off until Jan. 3!

Question for Elmore:  I found at Middletown's library the CD "Radio City Christmas Spectacular," which lists you as one of several orchestrators.  However, the insert doesn't credit individual numbers, so I can't tell which are yours.  Can you tell me?  Funny thing, I was listening to this while rolling and cutting out shortbread cookies.  When they were singing about Santa, I was using my Santa cookie cutter; Frosty, my snowman; and "Silver Bells"...you guessed it.

DRPanni:  Thanks for the photos earlier today.  The breakfast gathering looked like fun.  BTW, from an earlier post of yours, I discovered that your DD was born on my 3rd wedding anniversary!  It's so nice you have her home for the holiday season.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Panni

« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2004, 02:47:57 PM »

Was Guy Haines doing double-duty back in the kitchen again at Du-Pars?  Did he take the picture for you guys?

Yes. But Guy is a proud artist. He would rather that it not get out that he has a day-job to earn extra bucks this expensive time of year. Thus, he was working in disguise, dressed as an overweight waitress -- and even added a rather peculiar speech impediment for verisimilitude. Such a multi-talented guy is that Guy!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 02:49:01 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2004, 02:51:08 PM »

Great news, DR Ann!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2004, 03:00:58 PM »

I love Dame Edna, although she didn't bring any glads with her to our recording session.

"You know that's all some people have in this cockeyed caravan?"  Sullivan's Travels

One of the benefits of writing a mystery novel is how your mind starts working.  Someone said something to me this morning, and it got me to thinking.  As I thought, it suddenly became clear to me about the amazon "review".  I did a little searching and now the 98% is 100%.  Knowing who it is, it even makes it a bit sadder.  I wish people, rather than harboring all this ill-will and bile, would just tap on their keyboards and send an e-mail so that two adult human beings could hash things out.  It was the "excoriating" comment along with searching through the "voluminous archives" that helped pin this down.  That, and the fact that only less than a handful of people would have put those two names into a "review".  Now that I know, I don't know how I could have thought it was anyone else.  And that is the end of that.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2004, 03:04:25 PM »

Question for Elmore:  I found at Middletown's library the CD "Radio City Christmas Spectacular," which lists you as one of several orchestrators.  However, the insert doesn't credit individual numbers, so I can't tell which are yours.  Can you tell me?  Funny thing, I was listening to this while rolling and cutting out shortbread cookies.  When they were singing about Santa, I was using my Santa cookie cutter; Frosty, my snowman; and "Silver Bells"...you guessed it.

DRGinny,  I hope it's snowing so heavily you have to climb out the second storey window.  Then, you have no choice but to stay in Middletown tomorrow.

I did the last section of the Christmas spectacular, beginning with "Welcome Christmas" through the Reindeer Flyaway (to Mel Torme's "Christmas Song").
I scored it in August, when Radio City was in negotiation to record the Spectacular.  I scored it very heavily thinking I'd adjust things in the orchestra rehearsals which never happened since the recording was postponed.  It didn't get recorded until the next summer.

Doug Besterman was to score the new material for the show, and I assumed he would rescore my assignment since I was paid for a recording that never occurred, and he was actually in charge of the show.  Besides, he's got a family to support and I'm sure he was counting on the income.  Because of other commitments, Doug ended up using my charts as well as David Siegel's, who was also doing the new stuff for the recording.  I wasn't around for the October-November rehearsals, and Doug did a fantastic job editing what I'd turned in in August, thinning out some sections, and making me sound better than before.   I thank him every time I listen to the sequence.

DRJane, this oaf also missed your post about Echo.  I'm so sorry.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 03:10:20 PM by elmore3003 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2004, 03:05:03 PM »

Happy happy news, dear reader Ann.

Re What Can You Lose - one of my all-time favorite tracks we recorded, and one of the reasons why I love the collaborative process and the recording process.  I thought elmore's orchestration was the berries - moving and just right.  Except for the instrumental - which he'd scored for sax.  I'm sure it might have been better and I might have liked it better had we not had two reed players who were just not good enough for solo work (one of them wasn't good enough for ANY work).  But, I heard the caterwauling of our sax player and turned to elmore and said, can't we have something else?  The logical and easiest thing to do was the guitarist, who happily was Kevin Kuhn.  He came in and nailed that solo in one incredible take, and it's one of my most treasured things, that solo.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2004, 03:06:29 PM »

(humming humming) not listening to any reviews of "The Phantom of the Opera" moive... (humming humming) "Phantom" in 3.5 hours..... not listening, not listening..... hmmmmmm

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2004, 03:12:38 PM »

(humming humming) not listening to any reviews of "The Phantom of the Opera" moive... (humming humming) "Phantom" in 3.5 hours..... not listening, not listening..... hmmmmmm
[/quote.

Yeah.  Sure.  Whatever.  Anything you say.  I sound like TROUBLE IN TAHITI.

DRMatthew, I look forward to your comments.  I think you'll enjoy it
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 03:13:19 PM by elmore3003 »

Panni

« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2004, 03:14:25 PM »

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace. -- And what did that produce?... The cuckoo clock."
...The Third Man

I just looked up the official writing credits, as I hate to quote a line without citing the screenwriter. The credits are a movie in themselves:
Writing credits
Graham Greene   (story) and
Alexander Korda   (story)
Graham Greene   (screenplay)
Carol Reed   uncredited and
Orson Welles   uncredited

« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 03:23:25 PM by Panni »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2004, 03:14:40 PM »

I love the What Can You Lose track as well...Guy Haines just must simply record more.  

Today I received a DVD of the new MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE in the mail for award screening.  But when I opened the envelope, the security sticker on the edge of the DVD box was broken. Whether just torn or untimely ripped, I cannot tell.   But I wrote the studio who sent it out and apprized them of this. I think all these tapes are coded and, given the rampant piracy we have in this industry, this thing could have been tampered with before it ever got to me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 03:16:55 PM by Charles Pogue »

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2004, 03:16:47 PM »

It seems to be Oaf season.  I missed the "Echo" post too DR Jane.. My thoughts are with you.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2004, 03:20:56 PM »

Re What Can You Lose - one of my all-time favorite tracks we recorded, and one of the reasons why I love the collaborative process and the recording process.  I thought elmore's orchestration was the berries - moving and just right.  Except for the instrumental - which he'd scored for sax.  I'm sure it might have been better and I might have liked it better had we not had two reed players who were just not good enough for solo work (one of them wasn't good enough for ANY work).  But, I heard the caterwauling of our sax player and turned to elmore and said, can't we have something else?  The logical and easiest thing to do was the guitarist, who happily was Kevin Kuhn.  He came in and nailed that solo in one incredible take, and it's one of my most treasured things, that solo.

I take full blame.  I still stand by one of the reeds.  He can be abrasive, but I've always liked him and his playing.  However, the sax was my error in judgment.  In retrospect, I think it's because the sax has become so identified through CINEMAX AT NIGHT as an erotic instrument (sax=sex) and as a jazz instrument.  Maybe a classical sax player used to L'ARLESIENNE and Berlioz might have pulled it off, but not a Broadway/Big Band Baby.  BK's decision on the guitar was the best decision anyone could have made there, and I think Kevin Kuhn walks on water:  on Liz Callaway's "Sleepy Man" recording, he's two guitars and one mandolin on three tracks, and my first choice for anything I have any say on.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 03:23:16 PM by elmore3003 »

Panni

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2004, 03:21:16 PM »

I love the What Can You Lose track as well...Guy Haines just must simply record more.  

Today I received a DVD of the new MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE in the mail for award screening.  But when I opened the envelope, the security sticker on the edge of the DVD box was broken.

Mine was, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2004, 03:25:12 PM »

Well, no one would be tampering with Manchurian Candidate, as it's already been released.  The ones they want to tamper with are the ones that aren't coming out on DVD for a while.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2004, 03:26:48 PM »

Maybe they were sending you Blockbuster returns DVD's.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2004, 03:28:36 PM »

I wish people, rather than harboring all this ill-will and bile, would just tap on their keyboards and send an e-mail so that two adult human beings could hash things out.   And that is the end of that.

I know what you mean MR BK.  :-\
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2004, 03:29:46 PM »

Okay was anyone else NOT happy with TAR last night?

TAR = The Amazing Race.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

Maybe they were sending you Blockbuster returns DVD's.

LOL!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2004, 03:55:27 PM »

I think I'll put the Nunscrackers DVD in while I wrap gifts.   2.5 hours till "Phantom"!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2004, 04:01:37 PM »

Okay was anyone else NOT happy with TAR last night?

TAR = The Amazing Race.

Ya, a two-parter! That was odd...but it was still a good show!

Danise

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2004, 04:12:11 PM »

Evening all!

I've read the posts and have so many I want to comment on that I'm afraid you are in for a posting frensy from me.  

Get ready,

Get set,

Here I go!   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2004, 04:13:39 PM »

Yes, I must...I really must!  (a Little Night Music reference!)

Just send me your address and if anyone else wants to watch it, you Ann could send it on to the next person, and whoever is the last to watch it could send it back to me...please!

I would like to be on that list as well, please.

I promise to take very good care of it and will send it on the next person as soon as I watch it.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2004, 04:16:59 PM »

Dear reader Sandra gave me some candy, too.  I asked what kind, and she said "assorted" which I misheard as "sordid".  So, I have some sordid candies, which I may partake of later.

Danise

« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2004, 04:17:06 PM »

DR DER BRUCER: Oh, yes.  There're many roses not only with female name but also with male’s one, and I found "Chevy Chase" on my rose catalogue. It's a sort of ramblers.  I like him Chevy but I prefer more romantic name for roses, like Radio Times, Moon Shadow, Tears of Black Pearl…..

DR Hisaka, I don't happen to have a picture of my Michael Crawford Rose on the computer.  I shall have to look it up on one of the (many) photo CDs I have floating around.  I promise to post it as soon as I find it or spring comes and it blooms once again.  Whichever comes first.   ;) ;D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2004, 04:27:06 PM »

Ben, best of vibes to MacGregor and Anthony's parents.

Echo has had a huge set back so I don't know if I will be posting much today.

Welcome back Joey.

I hope both DR's Jane and Ben know I am sending the very best doggie vibes I can to both Echo and MacGregor.  B & B both have their paws crossed as well.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Vibes coming at you from all directions.  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 04:27:34 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up