Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: SO THAT WAS GOOD  (Read 22710 times)

Jed

Re:SO THAT WAS GOOD
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2003, 05:48:28 PM »

If I know any Herman songs, which I'm sure I do, I don't know he wrote them.  I'm terrible with info like that...ask DR Jed.  

Yes, yes she really is. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

William E. Lurie

« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2003, 06:21:24 PM »

Joy---
Thank you for quoting Sondheim to me, but what are you trying to tell me?  That I should move on from this here site?  I've been here from the beginning and nothing is going to keep me away.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Laura II

« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2003, 06:47:18 PM »

Emily: I wondered what you would think of my weather comment! I'm sorry!  :)

RE essays:
I could bore you all to tears with my ten page essay on Hamlet, but I'll spare you. (Although I must say that as much as almost everyone in my AP English class last year would hate to admit it, studying Hamlet for three months was worth it!) I therefore choose to leave you with an essay an acquaintance showed me last night. I find it quite funny. It also could serve to deter students from getting drunk, except I suppose some would be determined to outdo this person's work. I'm sorry if anyone finds anything in this essay offensive. As I said before, I'm only linking it here for everyone's amusement.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/rturpyn/essay.htm
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Laura II

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2003, 06:49:09 PM »

Sarah: Glad I could make you laugh today! :)

Laura II

« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2003, 07:00:53 PM »

:(

I just received an email from Sarah. In it, she said that her dad is no longer going to look the other way, so she will not be able to sneak into HHW anymore. She'll try to get on during lunches and other breaks, but she can't guarantee that.  She's praying that she'll get a B in algebra, and she will be very upset if that doesn't happen. She really wants to be able to come back.

You can email her at Sarah@DavisHome.us
Now let's send her some happy, good luck vibes!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~Good vibes to my little Sawah sis! Hope we have her back soon!~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Emily

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2003, 07:48:32 PM »

49 minutes without a post?  how unseemly :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2003, 08:26:06 PM »

I think the wife got her Williams confused.

As Rodgers and Hart wrote of my alma mater,
Williamstown belongs to Williams
Princeton keeps its tigers at bay
But old New York won't let the world forget
That there's a college on Broadway

(and it's celebrating its 250th birthday this year)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2003, 08:33:40 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Go Lions![/move]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2003, 08:34:59 PM »

I loved DR MDS's visual essay on the professional career of Jerry Herman. Of course, he didn't write the entire scores to some of those shows, but we know about the ones where he had contributors or where he himself was a contributor to someone else's score.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2003, 08:40:44 PM »

There was much I loved about teaching all the years I taught, but I have to admit that the thing I despised the most during my final years especially was reading and correcting essays. Funny, I didn't mind reading and correcting answers to discussion questions on my tests, but compositions and essays were for some reason another kettle of fish. I am VERY glad those days are over.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2003, 08:44:29 PM »

Good evening all.  I just got back from a gig with my acappella jazz group.  The president of the college invited us to sing for a fancy shindig he was having at the college, so we did.  It was a typical Jukebox Gig...but kind of a pain, 'cause the guests were getting a bit sloshed on the complimentary drinks and were so loud that it was really hard to hear each other, and if you've ever sang acappella group stuff, you know how hard it is to tune when you can't hear the other parts.  But the blue-hairs thought we were wonderful, and hopefully they'll be happy to shell out the bucks to support us.  Plus we got to partake of the yummy catered food.  Coconut breaded shrimp...mmm...so good

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2003, 08:46:19 PM »

Hey, I'm really close to becoming a Jr. Member :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2003, 08:57:58 PM »

We're in Roanoke VA tonight, and will get home to Rehoboth Beach tomorrow.  That's the good news.

The bad news is that there's no phone connection at the house yet.  Der Brucer's daughter thinks all anyone needs is a cell phone to do everything, and that no one needs an internet connection.  She doesn't use one, after all.  She just spends her entire life on her cell phone, talking.  Not listening, too complicated.  That der Brucer is going to be flying back to Long Beach for a couple of weeks, and that we do all our long distance communication via e-mail doesn't make sense to her.

It also won't make sense to her that der Brucer bought a quilt wall hanging titled "Spiders in the Outhouse," simply because it's so imaginative and pretty.  

In any case, I'll be back with everyone as soon as we can get the phone connection into the new house.  It just might take a little time.  *sigh*

Best to all - S. Woody White

PS - How does the title "Driving Towards Orion" sound?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2003, 09:06:44 PM »

Oh, before I forget, there's really really really bad news.

Dolly Parton is evil.

:P

(How's that for a teaser?)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 09:07:59 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2003, 09:27:16 PM »

Oh, before I forget, there's really really really bad news.

Dolly Parton is evil.
 :P
(How's that for a teaser?)

A DDDevil, eh?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2003, 10:20:39 PM »

Well hello Tommy (TCB) promise you'll never go away again.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2003, 10:35:59 PM »

Well he was with us briefly. About time for a new computer TCB. Fagin would find a way to make some cash.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2003, 10:37:08 PM »

Joy---
Thank you for quoting Sondheim to me, but what are you trying to tell me?  That I should move on from this here site?  I've been here from the beginning and nothing is going to keep me away.

I think Joy's error was in mistaking you for someone who had asked for good vibes.  That would have been William Orr.

I'm sure she'll be shocked that you found it to hold a negative message!

Still, I'm sure no one thought much about the faux pas, since many of us understood her intent from having read the posts of the past few days concerning Mr. Orr's current ordeal.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 10:45:34 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2003, 10:43:50 PM »

Back from seeing the Elaine May one-acts.  A bit barren around these here parts, isn't it?

Well, I suppose we could have a late-night rally.

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2003, 10:58:39 PM »

Barren? Given my preferences I've never considered the issue. I am not sure that I am likely to have a late night rally to check out my fertility.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2003, 11:03:12 PM »

Change of subject. We are listening to the new Babs album. I quite like it. At least the overblown productions of David Foster are missing. Some interesting choices of material. "Calling You" is a long time favourite of mine.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2003, 11:30:59 PM »

George, what was the time frame between your before photo and your after photo?  I’m guessing the after photo is the clear one.

Jane, the top (older) picture was taken in May 1998 and the newer one was taken in 2002.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up