Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A FISTFUL OF NOTES  (Read 31537 times)

MBarnum

Re:A FISTFUL OF NOTES
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2005, 09:54:21 AM »

Now, Audie Murphy westerns I love...everyone is clean-cut and not so much blood spurting...I always feel good after an Audie Murphy western.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2005, 09:57:42 AM »

DR vixmom - As for song selections for the vixter, let me check my files...  In the meantime, I'm guessing from the rep you listed, she's a belter.  A mixer?  What's her upper range like?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2005, 09:58:30 AM »

Wow, what a change in temperature!  Yesterday was 70+. So were the few days before.  But today it is rainy and it is only like 50F. :(

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »

Page Three Dance!!

MAMBO!

MAMBO!  MAMBO!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2005, 09:59:40 AM »

WHEW!!!

I'm still here!

<------------------
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2005, 10:03:20 AM »

At first I was going to say "Singing in the Rain," but I think a case can be made for Lina Lamont being the "villain."  This requires more thinking time.
As a matter of fact, I cited Lina as one of my favorite film villians at that other cite.  Along with Mrs. Iselin, Hal 3000, and the Rev. Shaw Moore in Footloose, the latter because he redeems himself at the end.  Redemption is good for the soul.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2005, 10:07:07 AM »

As for non-fiction books.. Hmm... I know I read a bunch of them when I was in pre-production for Assassins.  Some truly fascinating and disturbing information.  Unfortunately, the exact titles escape me at the moment, but there was one on Hinckley that I thought was particularly insightful.

I also remember reading five books - long, small-print books - for my AP History course in high school.  They were on my summer reading list.  Lots of topics, some dryer than others.  The Lincoln assassination, the Louisiana Purchase, Winston Churchill, the Vietnam War, the radical movements of the '60s.  Unfortunately, I also had to juggle reading - and keeping track of - the five books I had to read for my AP English class at the same time.  -Which included "Crime & Punishment".  Needless to say, my last month of summer vacation that summer was not really much of a vacation.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2005, 10:10:30 AM »

S. Woody: What is a "villian"?   :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

I've seen movies with Lillians but not villians.
Whatever can you be talking about?  

::)

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2005, 10:10:35 AM »

OH!!!

And I was literally LOL when I loaded up today's Notes.  Apparently, BK's discussion of his session with Marina has greatly influenced the ads at the top of the page.  One particular "vendor" seemed a bit unseemly.  -At least when I loaded up the page.
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2005, 10:10:39 AM »

I've seen movies with Lillians but not villians.

And why, i\I ask you, do his friends call him Lillian?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2005, 10:16:29 AM »

And speaking of seeming unseemly...

Have any DRs seen that new Brawny paper towel commercial?  The one with the Brawny man in the kitchen, making a cake, holding a puppy... dropping a dollop of frosting on the counter.. etc., etc., etc.  Well...

It runs in a short and long version - I'm guessing in 15 and 30 second spots.  Well, last night, I happened to catch the long version, and when it came to the last shot...  As the Brawny man is walking towards the camera holding the puppy...  Hmmm...  I guess Brawny paper towels do have multiple uses!

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2005, 10:17:13 AM »

I'll be back...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2005, 10:21:16 AM »

A second question, more for the DRs than for BK:

How many times a week do you eat out?  

We're kept up-to-date on BK's dining pleasures, because he tells us about them.  And I think his way of combining the pleasures of the table with the pleasures of his friends a wonderful way of giving pleasure to others, as well.

I'm curious about the habits of the rest of us.

Der Brucer and I usually find ourselves dining out about once a week.  It gives us a chance to relax away from home, and to simply chat.  I can't help wondering if our ability to talk after twenty years together might be part of why we're still together twenty years on.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2005, 10:23:21 AM »

If you hate "American Idol" posts, please skip the following:

After last night:

My bottom three: Anwar, Scott and Carrie.

Not one of them did a service to their songs.

Carrie: Betcha by golly wow that she did not have a CLUE what the song "MacArthur Park" is about...and the half-march/half-prance she did to move around the stage -- all in keeping with the rhythm of the song, of course -- looked stupid, especially in that c/w dress. I tried listening with my eyes closed, but she didn't "feel" Jimmy Webb's lyrics.  Every time she puts her hair in those tight curls, it seems to rob her of something vital...personality, perhaps??? Yes, she can hold a note...but SO FREAKING WHAT?

Anwar, Anwar, Anwar. Blah. Blah-Blah! Pfffft! At least he didn't run riffs on all the held notes...but in holding those notes, he didn't put any vibrato into any of them...they were just intoned notes... I want "singing".

Scott: As Ryan so lamely calls him, "Scotty Body". He doesn't do it for me. Never has. I first wanted him to have a fighting chance to prove himself. Last night, his song choice was good, but his performance made me cringe.  I think he stacks up favorably with Nikko and Anwar....the latter of whom is overdue for leaving, along with Scott.

Anthony: I agree about the nothingness of the song choice. It's what he does worst...selecting songs. BUT he sang it beautifully, and it's about "singing". I wish someone would just say, "Here! Sing this song!" and let him survive on the way he sings something worthwhile.

Vonzell: I would rather have heard Nadia sing the telephone book. Vonzell is perky and fun and will be a great addition to the 2005 American Idol tour as a finalist. But enough is enough is enough.

Bo and Constantine: Let's draw straws. No, I didn't think Constantine's song choice was dynamic enough. But I also did not think Bo's performance "original" enough...it compares too closely with the original version. And that's called "imitation," like what he did with the BS&T song that the judges loved so much. I'm still a Bo fan...he's got SO MUCH potential. But so does Constantine.

They're my two finalists. What they do from now on will determine which will get my vote for "American Idol."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 10:30:49 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2005, 10:23:37 AM »

I'd like a frosted puppy, please!   :D :D :D

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2005, 10:27:37 AM »

If you hate "American Idol" posts, please skip the following:
I don't "hate" American Yodel or the posts, I just can't be bothered watching the show.  Horseracing, y'know.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2005, 10:30:31 AM »

Speaking of frosted puppies....

Peggy is recovering nicely from her surgery.  She's cranky, and sore, but she's over her grogginess, which is a relief.

If we hear a yelp from Marty or Fletcher, it serves them right for poking their noses where they don't belong!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2005, 10:32:22 AM »

I watched a couple of minutes of AI last night, and I have to say that what I heard of Vonzell was pretty horrific.

MBARNUM if you are going to tape WHAT'S GOING ON? get to it, because it only lasted 5 weeks and they have already shown 2 episodes!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2005, 10:33:06 AM »

Yes I think FORUM has a wonderful opening number - but my FAVORITE opening is from THE PAJAMA GAME with "The Pajama Game-Racing With the Clock".

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2005, 10:33:35 AM »

Good vibes for Peggy!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2005, 10:35:25 AM »

DR vixmom - As for song selections for the vixter, let me check my files...  In the meantime, I'm guessing from the rep you listed, she's a belter.  A mixer?  What's her upper range like?

You must understand I am functionally illiterate as far as musical terms... her voice teacher says she can hit a high "C"  with no problem, I do know that when she sings 'I'm Not That Girl" she has trouble hitting the low note on "girl" and the teacher made it the same note but higher so she sings it "up" rather than "down"  does that make any sense at all?  I feel like a babbling idiot  trying to explain this   :P

She is still working on her voice projection but since they usually sing with microphones she has been able to "cheat" a bit on the belt out sections... I do not know what a 'mixer" is except the kind you make cakes with...... :D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2005, 10:37:19 AM »

I have a "Ask Jose " question... have you realeasd any CD's of you singing/playing?  If so what are they, if not WHY THE HECK NOT?  You have a lovely voice and what a pianny player!  

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2005, 10:37:46 AM »

Ok I'm off to a closing I may have to catch up tomorrow!!! Laters!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2005, 10:40:40 AM »

Strange doin's in the Brasilian music department:  One of my Tigard Pops Choir members just got back from Bolivia, where she went crazy buying bootleg CDs.  She brought me back a 2 CD comp of Bossa Nova tunes.  Most of the recordings I have already, but there was one interesting item:  Astrud Gilberto singing The Girl from Ipanema.  What's so interesting about that, you may well be asking?  Well, I'll tell you:  it's a disco version!!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 10:41:17 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2005, 10:46:15 AM »

I eat out at least once a week. My buddy Mark and I almost always have lunch on Fridays...before he got himself a boyfriend we would usually meet for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday, as well...this is what has caused me to gain a few pounds over the last couple of years! I blame it all on Mark!

Although if I would get to the gym more often, perhaps things would have kept their shape better.  ::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »

Two TV notes:

Alias is sure having fun with the casting.  Not only do they have Joel Grey as "another Mr. Sloane," next week's TV Guide just arrived in the mail and lists Sonia Braga as a guest star.

And, special note for DR Jose: There's a new episode of Good Eats tonight: "Field of Greens."

Field of Greens
Was your childhood eating plagued with plate-loads of slimy, foul-smelling leaves? Host Alton Brown shows how to turn fiend to friend when he takes on dark leafy greens. Tune in and you might learn a thing or two about nutrition too.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2005, 10:51:01 AM »

A film with no villain.  Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

That's harder to think of than I thought it would be.  Hmmmmmmm......

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2005, 10:55:03 AM »

Does THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR have a villain? If not than I would list that film as a favorite.

Also, YOURS, MINE, AND OURS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2005, 11:10:35 AM »

As for reading cookbooks...

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2005, 11:16:27 AM »

As for eating out....

Well, today is Wednesday, and so far I've eaten out three times this week.  And I believe I ate out each day last week too.  And when I was in Indy...  And when I was in Memphis... And when I was in New York... Well...

I go through phases where I'm cooking practically every day, three meals a day, plus snacks.  Then I go through phases where I just want the convenience of someone else doing the cooking.  And when I usually eat out, it's not a big financial burden usually $4.00-7.00 at a time.  However, I do like to have a really nice $it-down dinner at a restaurant at least once a month - usually twice.

Qualifier:  Since I've been home the past week and a half, I've been having breakfast and lunch at home, and then heading out for a small dinner somewhere in the neighborhood.  But I have been known to eat three meals out in a single day.  Even with a fully stocked cupboard and fridge at the apartment.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up