Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A PATCH OF BLU  (Read 4417 times)

ChasSmith

Re: A PATCH OF BLU
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »

vixmom, what a great turn of events at the dentist. Congratulations!

ChasSmith

« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2020, 06:44:12 PM »

BK is killing me softly with Szell's song.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »

Wonderful news - from DR vixmom and from DR Jane about her friend.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2020, 07:00:33 PM »

BK is killing me softly with Szell's song.

I hear groaning is not allowed on HHW.  Darn.     :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »

On DR elmore3003's recommendation, we watched A Street Cat Named Bob.

I missed all the hoopla about the book when it came out in 2012, apparently.

We enjoyed it, but I was nervous about the drugs, and kept waiting for bad things to happen.

But it had a happy ending.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2020, 07:08:04 PM »

Our friend who had to evacuate yesterday just returned home :)

Good news.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2020, 07:09:13 PM »

Something outside has the dogs in the neighborhood all riled up. So, naturally, the bird is highly vocal, too.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Show Must Go On selection for this coming weekend is a musical version of Wind in the Willows. I think this is from the guys who wrote Honk! and the substandard additional songs in Mary Poppins.

I can't really tell when it starts. They usually start on Friday, but this one supposedly begins tomorrow. It's being billed as a Wednesday matinee.

The start times are in UK, so it's earlier for us in the US.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2020, 07:28:34 PM »

Very good news, Jane!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2020, 07:29:20 PM »

And now, I'm leaving work.

Be back later.

John G.

« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2020, 08:33:56 PM »

I’m headed to bed. Good night, all.
― Voltaire

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: October 27, 2020, 08:52:27 PM »

DR Jeanne, Freia is the Norse-German goddess of youth, who plays a major part in Wagner's opera
 Das Rheingold, the first opera in the Ring Cycle.

Ah. In THE RAVEN'S EYE the sisters' father is a professor of old Norse history and literature.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2020, 08:54:44 PM »

As much as I want to see restaurants remain open, some of them need to step up to the plate. Today I went out for falafel take-out at a place I've been many times. The young man who took my order at the counter was polite and helpful, but a few minutes later went outside to say hello to his buddies. First the hug, then handshakes. He wore a mask, but his buddies did not. He came indoors and resumed his duties without washing his hands. I found this off-putting. It wouldn't have bothered me pre-Covid, but it bothers me now. I think many people only wear a mask because it's mandatory and don't understand why it's important to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer. People have gotten blase and it's no wonder that the case numbers have risen.

This is not good for business! Many of us now have higher standards for restaurants than we did before Covid. We want things to be clean!

Since you stop there often will you let the owner know.  Pre-covid not washing his hands would have bothered me.

Not washing hands is pretty much a food handlers' violation!  He should've washed his hands as soon as he came back in!  Definitely let the owner know!

He doesn't work in the kitchen, just at the counter, but during a pandemic he needs to take special care. I agree with you.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2020, 08:55:44 PM »

As much as I want to see restaurants remain open, some of them need to step up to the plate. Today I went out for falafel take-out at a place I've been many times. The young man who took my order at the counter was polite and helpful, but a few minutes later went outside to say hello to his buddies. First the hug, then handshakes. He wore a mask, but his buddies did not. He came indoors and resumed his duties without washing his hands. I found this off-putting. It wouldn't have bothered me pre-Covid, but it bothers me now. I think many people only wear a mask because it's mandatory and don't understand why it's important to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer. People have gotten blase and it's no wonder that the case numbers have risen.

This is not good for business! Many of us now have higher standards for restaurants than we did before Covid. We want things to be clean!

Since you stop there often will you let the owner know.  Pre-covid not washing his hands would have bothered me.

I don't know the manager there and am reluctant to complain in a public forum such as Yelp. If I can mention something discreetly I will.

Check out their website and maybe there's a link to contact them.  That might be an option.

That's a very good point. I'll try it. Thanks.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: October 27, 2020, 08:57:19 PM »

Glad to hear it. I'm sure you're relieved.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2020, 08:58:49 PM »

Very good news from both Vixmom and George! I hope Michael's dental visit went well, too.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2020, 09:01:30 PM »

I watched THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS the other night and tonight the special features. So beautifully done! The models of the animals are just exquisite. The voices, too. David Jason does Mr Toad and I never would have guessed it was him. Such a treat!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2020, 09:09:57 PM »

Re SCOTUS:
I have a  hunch that there will be a surprise with Amy Coney Barrett. I don't know what the surprise will be, but for weeks now I've had this feeling.

I hope you are right and it is a very good surprise.

FYI:  surprises can be good or bad...or even really bad! :o

Many Democrats are assuming that Justice Barrett will be terrible for the ACA and gay rights. I understand their concern, but things may not go as they assume. Virtually anything would be better than what some are assuming.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2020, 09:10:27 PM »

Good night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2020, 09:53:13 PM »

Finished with my viewing - went to Ralph's and got fruit plus a couple of interesting looking Healthy Choice frozen dinners of few calories, one of which I'm eating now - pretty good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »

Listening to Szell and Leon Fleisher do an incredible Grieg piano concerto - and realized I didn't load in disc 33, which I'm doing now.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2020, 10:25:02 PM »

Wonderful news - from DR vixmom and from DR Jane about her friend.

Thanks.

Jane

« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2020, 10:25:46 PM »

Very good news, Jane!

Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #173 on: October 27, 2020, 10:35:17 PM »

DR Jeanne, Freia is the Norse-German goddess of youth, who plays a major part in Wagner's opera
 Das Rheingold, the first opera in the Ring Cycle.

Ah. In THE RAVEN'S EYE the sisters' father is a professor of old Norse history and literature.

That fits ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:37:49 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2020, 10:38:24 PM »

Glad to hear it. I'm sure you're relieved.

Very. 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2020, 11:28:07 PM »

Did you still take your order?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2020, 11:32:13 PM »

Jane, a few nights ago I started Barry Maitland's A RAVEN'S EYE. I like Maitland's work. He's a competent writer and has a different take than other mystery writers. The story revolves around two Swedish sisters, one of whom is named Freyja. I'd never heard the name until you posted that that's your granddaughter's name. This Freyja is strikingly attractive and extremely bright. Her sister is named Gudrun, which isn't nearly as pretty, IMO.

Jeannie do you think it will matter if I begin the series with this book?

It's not a series. I think all his books are stand-alones. But I must warn you that it's a murder mystery and yes, the sisters are killed. Not so happy in that respect.

I read mysteries.  Since Freyja is killed I think I will pass ;D

Oh, but she doesn’t die until the final page when you find out she killed all of the others (and her sister).
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2020, 11:35:57 PM »

TOD:

I’ve lost too many friends in the restaurant biz to keep track of. My favorite Italian restaurant is probably the hardest to bear. They were among the smart ones who got out at the beginning of the pandemic. The ones who are operating on a smaller scale could disappear at any moment. But as I’ve cut my circle back, I’m eating out less and less, and cooking more.

I think what scares me most about covid is the threat of the loss of smell and taste.

I have not read of anyone who said their sense of small and taste did not return.

It did not return for any of the dead people.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2020, 11:39:43 PM »

They can't get rid of anyone but the CAN add two liberal judges to even things out.  That loophole is absolutely doable.

Or someone could just kill the three oldest conservative judges.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2020, 11:46:21 PM »

They can't get rid of anyone but the CAN add two liberal judges to even things out.  That loophole is absolutely doable.

Or someone could just kill the three oldest conservative judges.

Or any three random conservative judges...they don't have to be the oldest. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up