Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FINDING KRITZERLAND  (Read 18545 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:FINDING KRITZERLAND
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2005, 08:31:17 AM »

PAGE TWO!!!

Whew!

-Now that didn't hurt at all, did it?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2005, 08:31:52 AM »

I have reworded that portion of the question.

I feel so groggy and congested this morning, and my throat's a bit sore, but I'm still fighting to not get this thing full-force.  I notice they're having a garage sale across the street.  Maybe I'll mosey on over there.  I think I slept a little, but it was one of those nights where it seemed like I was awake the entire time.  Tonight: NYQUIL, baby, NYQUIL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2005, 08:32:09 AM »

Well, I shall proceed to do my dance in the shower now...

Laters...

(Sorry for that visual.  ;) )
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2005, 08:33:53 AM »

Much to my surprise, we've already had a correct answer.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2005, 08:35:55 AM »

I have reworded that portion of the question.

I feel so groggy and congested this morning, and my throat's a bit sore, but I'm still fighting to not get this thing full-force.  I notice they're having a garage sale across the street.  Maybe I'll mosey on over there.  I think I slept a little, but it was one of those nights where it seemed like I was awake the entire time.  Tonight: NYQUIL, baby, NYQUIL.

*BK - Be sure not to over do it with the Emergen-C.  Your body can only process so much Vitamin C at one time, and if you do happen to take it on an empty stomach, all the extra acid could cause problems, if you get my drift.

Is it possible that you're just having a bad allergy episode?

And you're actually drinking water too?  And admitting it!?!?!  What is the world coming to?!?!?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2005, 08:40:39 AM »

...And with everyone dealing with late spring colds, allergies, etc... It does sound like you may also have "Airplane Sickness".

Have you tried "Airborne"?  It's good stuff.  It was developed by a teacher who got sick of getting sick from her students.  They market it to frequent flyers and any other people who find themselves in constant contact with lots of people, crowds.  Lots of actors swear by it when working on movie sets.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2005, 08:42:13 AM »

OK...I should get cleaned up.  Steve has a bit of recording to get done today, and I should get out his hair.  Or at least what's left of it - he had a haircut yesterday, and his stylist, apparently, still has not learned the real meaning of "a little off the top".

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2005, 08:42:52 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2005, 08:45:13 AM »

Glad to hear the Bacharach show went mostly well, and would like, of course, more detail.  Maybe I'll get a call today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2005, 08:46:27 AM »

Nope, this has nothing to do with allergies.  I've been drinking four cups of emergenC daily, but today it's going back to three.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2005, 08:48:49 AM »

I took a walk across the street - the usual junk no one would want - but they did have a fifty pack of CD-Rs, out of which only five were missing.  I bought that for five dollars.

It makes me realize what a garage sale I could have - I don't have ANY junk like that - I have great, great stuff, and if one could get the word out, I'd probably make a good deal of money.  But, someone would have to come and organize and do it all for me and take a cut.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2005, 09:30:29 AM »

Off to lunch...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2005, 09:30:34 AM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  I've already written three pages this morning, and I'll finish this here story up by the end of the day.

PARURE, baby, PARURE!  Such a good word - no takers, though.

I see MBarnum, and perhaps we'll finally get a report on the Bacharach show.  And I do hope he'll be honest in his assessment.

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2005, 09:33:21 AM »

I think previous seasons that were considered mediocre would be more thrilling than what we get now.  I'm going to have to do a little research; it's been awhile since I've thought about this.

Speaking of haircuts and taking "a little off the top,"
I got my hair (what little there is left of it) buzzed the other day.  Most of today's "Superstars" (and I use the term very lightly) weren't born the last time it was this short.   I'm kind of getting used to it and like it.  Some people have complimented me on it, and I'm sure others haven't even noticed.  I really was afraid I'd look like an old Zippy the Pinhead.  Luckily I don't look like Zippy--I'm not so sure about the old thing.  Sometimes I think it looks good, and then I'll unexpectedly catch my reflection and see someone looking at back at me who looks like he should be whispering, "Rosebud," and dropping a snowglobe to the floor.

I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2005, 09:36:37 AM »

Had I been lucky enough to be in the audience of the Bacahrach revue, I would gladly comment.  Alas, I was not there. :'(
I like boat races.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2005, 09:40:51 AM »

BK and JMK can be very proud of themselves for last nights Bacharach show! I had a blast, the rest of the audience had a blast, and even though JMK said there were a couple of glitches...I'll be darned if I could tell what they were! It really was a wonderful show...and I am not just saying that to be nice!

I left the wedding party at around 9:45 and hightailed it to downtown Portland. Found a parking spot and walked up to the theater. There was a play earlier in the evening that was just letting out, so I waited by the front door. I then spotted Adair's boyfriend Dan and chatted with him for a bit. He is one heck of a nice guy. Works for IBM and gets to travel all over the world for his job.

I then spotted JMK's lovely wife Betsy (by the way, one of the nicest people you will ever meet) who was busily getting things arranged with the cashiers and the person who would be serving beverages in the lobby.

I was an early bird so I bought my ticket and went into the theater to get settled. I probably was not supposed to be in the auditorium just yet, as they were still setting things up, but no one one kicked me out and it was interesting to watch the sound crew arrange things.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2005, 09:46:51 AM »

Perhaps I'll get a call.

Thanks for the report.

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2005, 09:55:04 AM »

Oh, yes, BK, I will be totally honest in my assessment!

Prior to the show beginning I chatted with a very nice lady who turned out to be Bruce Blanchard's mother. What a sweetheart! After the show I also met one of Bruce's sisters and a family friend.

Ok, on to the show:

Ok, one glitch that I noticed...there was a drip from a ceiling that was most annoying...it was a big drip and I kept expecting it to plop on Adair's head, which would have been most unseemly........oh, and I do think that Bruce might have had some difficulty with his dialogue at the beginning of the show...but those were the only things I noticed as far as glitches of any sort.

Adair Chappell:

Quite a personality on stage. One heck of a singer, and she did some pretty funny stuff up there too, as far as some slight facial reactions when she and Bruce are singing certain songs together...she definately knows here stuff..but then she is not new to this. And, my gosh, I had forgotten how many of Bacharach's songs are favorites of mine. If you could have seen my face you would have seen nothing but a huge smile during the entire show...all of those songs make me very happy!

They even did a section of Bacharach duds...songs that just didn't cut it...and it was easy to tell why! LOL!

Oh, and Adair and Bruce did THE BLOB... a favorite of mine, of course!

Bruce Blanchard: The guy has a wonderful voice. I think he does best with more powerful songs...or at least that is the type of song I enjoyed hearing him sing the most...the ones where he can get his voice deep and strong...like the song he did from PROMISES, PROMISES...which might have been called PROMISES, PROMISES...not to be confused with that other song called PROMISES, PROMISES......anyway, I think he did a wonderful job on his songs and if I recall he has only done one other show, CAMELOT. I hope he does more musical stuff...I would certainly go.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2005, 10:00:10 AM »

But wait, there is more....

My favorite part in the show, besides the songs, was when Bruce mentions that many people have fallen in love to a Burt Bacharach song, himself included....then he mentions that some people get divorced to a Bacharach song...and points to Adair (LOL!)...then says that some people even have had affairs to a Bacharach song...then Bruce and Adair both look over to JMK (who is on piano)...it got many laughs!

Well, that is all I can think of to say right now...the songs were wonderful, the staging seemed great, and the audience loved it....we even clamored for an encore...which I think took Adair and Bruce by surprise as they were already chaning into their street clothes backstage! But an encore was most welcome as it was obvious that we didn't want the show to end!

You all did great!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2005, 10:02:07 AM »

OH, I forgot...I also saw Bruce's wife Jamie and she came up and gave me a big hug...she is so sweet, and so beautiful!!! I do believe that BK can attest to that! LOL!

Ok, must now drink coffee and read newspaper...if you need more specific info BK, just let me know and I will post more about it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2005, 10:13:36 AM »

I'm glad to hear that that bit worked - the falling in love, divorce, affair bit.  It came to me as we were running some dialogue.  Adair wasn't sure about it at first, but she knew it was funny and was a good trouper about it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2005, 10:32:15 AM »

BK, check your email for a complete de-briefing.  I have errands to run and then a MAJOR nap to take, but I'll try to call you later.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2005, 10:40:14 AM »

I'm glad to hear that that bit worked - the falling in love, divorce, affair bit.  It came to me as we were running some dialogue.  Adair wasn't sure about it at first, but she knew it was funny and was a good trouper about it.

It got some good laughs, that is for sure!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2005, 11:43:22 AM »

There hasn't been more than three people on here at a time since nine this morning.  Skammen.  I'm fighting illness here, and I need lots of postings to keep me from said illness.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2005, 12:15:11 PM »

As for my favorite theater year, that's a tough one since there are several Broadway seasons that were wild with hit plays and musicals. DR Elmore mentioned 1956 and didn't mention MY FAIR LADY, but I think he's picked one of the greatest for certain.

That's because MY FAIR LADY was a part of the 1955-56 season, and the musicals I mentioned were part of the 1956-57 season.  However, I was inconsistent; I really don't know if the 1925 shows I listed were all part of the same season or not.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 12:21:39 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

jamiblanc

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2005, 12:25:29 PM »

Hi all, Jami wife of Bruce Blanchard here.  Just registerd, have been lurking in the shadows for a week or so though.  I must say BK, the show was terrific!  And this opinion is coming from a very picky actor/wife! Especially when you are aware that the rehearsal time was extremly limited.  BB and AC are consumate performers and the band was top notch.  Your hand was evident, in the execution of a tight and well put together cabaret act.  Everyone had a smile plastered on their face the whole way through.  It's such great music.  There were a few issues with sound and diction etc. Bruce shouldn't have his shirt tucked in, he looks like a dad.  You know those kind of little picky things, but heck it was their first audience, it is only going to get better and better, they already have some corporate interest.  Mbarnum was adorable, such a nice energy.  It was lovely to see him there.  

By the way, MBarnum, BB has quite an extensive resume, performing in NYC and around the world, He actually sings on two of BK's award winning albums.  Camelot is the only musical he has done in PDX since returning from NYC but he did just close "Death of a Salesman" (Biff) at the theater we were at last night.
Good Job BK, It was awesome! Hope you feel better.
Come back and direct me in something...
I'll wear white cotton panties.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2005, 12:38:30 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from lunch...

Steve and I ended up back in Carytown, and back at Can-Can for lunch.  Lunch was OK.  I ordered their Asparagus Tartine which friends of mine have ordered during past visits.  It's basically an open face sandwich composed of asparagus, country ham, a fried eggs, and some cheese.  It was always a pretty plate when it came to the table, so I decided to try it myself this time.  Well... They changed the "format" of the dish, made it more like a composed salad with the cheese melted over a hunk of bread on the side of plate.  The small plate.  Ah, well...  Live and learn.

Steve ordered their Salade Nicoise which turned out to be a very generous portion.  He liked it.

I just have the sense that the place is starting to coast on it's recently earned reputation - warts and all.  The staff even seemed surprised - and admitted - that it was busier today than expected - which I always take as a very indirect way of saying, "Sorry, the service has been a bit slow today."  In any case...

If I do return there, it will most likely be for dinner which is where all the culinary attention seems to be put anyway.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2005, 12:42:30 PM »

After lunch, we walked around Carytown for a bit.  Compleat Gourmet.  Mongrel.  For The Love Of Chocolate - which I actually walked out of without buying anything!  Then after a brief pass through EQ3 - a modern furniture store - we headed back to the apartment.  The heat had really started to heat up along with the humidity. Both of us are a bit zapped from it.  And I think we're both about take a nap.

And then after my nap, I'll go ahead and venture back up north to Fairfax.

But, first, that nap.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2005, 12:43:21 PM »

Welcome to newest DR jamiblanc!!!

Come on in!  The water's fine!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2005, 12:46:41 PM »

As for PARURE...

Would you be perhaps referencing the story, "La Parure" ("The Necklace"), by another famous "Guy" - Guy de Maupassant?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up