Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL SHOOK UP  (Read 18938 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ALL SHOOK UP
« on: July 14, 2005, 12:04:47 AM »

Well, you've read the ntoes, you've been shaken up by the ntoes, and now it is time for you to post until the shaken not stirred cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 12:03:20 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ALL SHOOK UP
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 12:08:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: PODIATRY!

I, myself, am doing the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance).

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 12:17:31 AM »

I am indeed shaken by the "ntoes". Very uncomfortable for one of my advanced years.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 12:26:04 AM »

Longest walk - about 10 miles.  No public transport after midnight when I was a teenager. I may have walked further on beaches but it never seemed to be that far.
Drive - from Melbourne to Rockhampton. That's over 2000 kilometres by the shortest route - which I didn't take.
Cycling"  I guess about 20 miles when I was a young teenager.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 12:27:52 AM »

I must say, the late night WUSSBURGERING by our usual denizens like Ann and Jed is quite quite.  I have written a song about it:

WUSSBURGER, WUSSBURGER
WUSSING SO DEEP
YOU DISAPPEAR
YOU GO TO SLEEP
WUSSBURGER, WUSSBURGER
ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT
YOU ARE A WUSSY SIGHT

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 12:29:37 AM »

I think DR Jed was sent to Leavenworth. Perhaps Ann is allowed visiting rights.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 12:35:48 AM »

The Word of the Day, "PODIATRY" is certainly a companion to the Topic of the Day.

My dad was in the Army and when I was six years old (the summer in between first and second grades) we moved from Germany to Colorado (we moved to Germany when I was four).  We flew into New Jersey and were there for three days.  My parents bought a new car (1973 blue Chevrolet Malibu station wagon) and we drove from New Jersey to Colorado Springs, Colorado.  I don't remember how long it took, but it took a long time for a six-year-old.  When we moved from Colorado in 1976 to Washington (to the house where my parents still live), we drove again.  

The only long drive that I took (as a driver) was when my friend, Misi (that's how she spells her name...she had it legally changed) and I drove to Weber State University in Ogden, Utah.  Friends of ours were doing summer stock there and we wanted to visit.  We switched off driving every once in a while.  We stayed for five days and I was taking pictures all of the time.  After we left Ogden, we went to Reno for a night and I was going to change the film in my camera.  I opened it up and THERE WAS NO FILM!!  I was taking pictures for FIVE DAYS WITHOUT ANY FILM IN THE CAMERA!!  What a dope I was!  Fortunately, I also had a disposable camera that took panoramic photos, so I had those 15 or so pictures.  But still, it was quite stupid of me not to check to make sure that I had film in the camera at all.  When we left Reno (with some new film...little good it would do then), we drove through Oregon and Washington (stopping somewhere in Oregon for the night) and then home to Olympia.  

And those were my longest car rides/driving experiences. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 12:44:18 AM »

My car for my long journey was a Mini (Italian Job  reference) January 1972.

Of course DR Partner Colin and I drove over 4000k last year whilst touring France. (The driving duties were shared and it did take a month).
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 12:47:57 AM »

As for walking long distances, when I was in high school, I foolishly volunteered with my best friend Andrew, to walk the CROP Walk ("Help CROP Stop Hunger"...I forget what CROP stands for) and it was 10 miles.  With no preparation, we just begged for money from our friends and friends' parents and walked.  I hurt for a couple of days afterwards.

Over the last six years, I have been involved with the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life, which is a 24-hour walking marathon.  This year (last month, as a matter of fact), I walked about 3 hours on the track, but walking to and from the site from my car and walking around just looking at things and talking with people would add a couple more hours to that total.  Three years ago (after I had lost a lot of weight...I've since gained it all back ::)), I walked more than nine hours over the course of the 24 hour event!  I've never walked for the full 24 hours, but there have always been people who have.  

And that's my longest walking story.

I haven't ridden a bike in a very long time, and I've never ridden for very long, so I don't have any bike riding stories.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 04:44:15 AM »

Someone (Jose?) asked where I live.  I live in the Poconos.  High up on a mountain (or the House On The Hill... ooh, a Hammerstein/Kern reference!).  If the wind blows the right way, the power flickers and I have to reset my answering machine.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 04:46:34 AM »

a topic from yesterday;
LARAMIE, its theme still lives in my memory???my grandfather loved it and he had often hummed the tune to himself.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 04:59:17 AM »

???Three question marks were meant  three clefs... :-\

Have you ever known that if you put three question marks in a message form, a Smilly with three question marks appears!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 05:05:22 AM »

DR MATTHEW; I, too, am a fan of the Disneyland. I’ve been to the Tokyo Disneyland, which practically is not located in Tokyo, but in a prefecture called Chiba right next to Tokyo, for 5/6 times before, even though it has passed over 5 years since I was there last. So unfortunately I’ve not been to the Disney Sea or to the Ikspiari yet, as these are comparatively new ones.  In the year (may be1983) Disneyland has come into being in Tokyo, I, with my old classmates, stayed at a hotel adjoining the Tokyo Disneyland for 2 nights to frequent the Disneyland and to enjoy our fill of it like children. Good memories.   My last ride was the Splash Mountain that we finally got after having a loooong queue and we acquired front row seats on a boat. My favorite is always the Electrical Parade after all.  Unfortunately, I’ve never been to the US ones so I’m not able to compare both of them.  Would love to be to the original Disneyland and also the Disney World in Florida someday!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 05:14:12 AM »

I have strong legs like a thoroughbred (hopefully) and like walking, but I have never walked so long as DR TOMOVOZ and GEORGE.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 05:16:04 AM »

DR JANE; I found some semi-dried prunes from Oregon, King of Prunes by Vanamount, at my favorite market. It’s so delicious!  Prunes are well-known product of Oregon?

Cillaliz

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 05:29:37 AM »

My longest walk was an 11 mile hike last summer following the trail of Lewis and Clark from the Vermillion River to Spirit Mound in South Dakota.  It's one of the few places that they can say for certain Lewis and Clark stood. (They have a general idea of other places, but the way the Missouri River changes course, they aren't sure of the exact location of other places) It was the 200th Anniversary of the Expedition going through our area. I did it in part just to see if I could do it.

Longest drive was from Iowa to Prince Rupert Canada - of course we stopped several nights along the way, in the Black Hills, Yellowstone, the Canadian Rockies etc. Then we took the ferry to Ketchikan, Alaska and took a week-long cruise throught the Inland Passage and drove back across Canada and South back to Iowa.  It was a great trip with my parents and my Aunt after my first year in law school

Michael

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 05:34:52 AM »

Longest walk was about 24 miles. WHich I did for charity. As for the drive from Montreal, Canada to Boca Raton, FL
Never stop dreaming.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 05:51:35 AM »

The mere fact that I am up this early should explain why I Wussburgered last night.  In order to let a good friend of mine have a much-needed vacation, I've agreed to take her shift at work for today and tomorrow.  Usually no one will take it for her.  It's a split shift, 6:45 to 10:45, then 2:30 to 5:30, and I'll probably be working the between hours as well...it's gonna be a couple of very long days.  

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 06:19:21 AM »

Would love to be to the original Disneyland and also the Disney World in Florida someday!

Apropos of pretty much nothing, one day when visiting my mother in the county of Orange (California division), either the Dear Partner or I misspoke and called Disneyland Disney World.  On the spot, my mother, who is wont to do these things, came up with a mnemonic to remember which is which:

DisneylANd is in ANaheim.
Disney WORLd is in ORLando.

We've never made that mistake again.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 06:26:39 AM by Stuart »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 06:25:14 AM »

Disney World I SIN Orlando.

Hmmm...your mother either doesn't think much of what goes on at Disney World or she once had a very interesting visit there.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 06:26:15 AM »

The longest walk(s) I used to take were between my junior and senior years at NYU.  I lived on campus during the summer (why move all the way back to Brooklyn, when Uncle Charlie's was a just a few short blocks away?)  I was living in a dorm on 10th Street and Fifth Avenue.  At the time, I was working at the Museum of the City of New York's Theatre Collection, at 103rd and Fifth.  Sometimes after work, I would walk home, the equivalent of about 4.5 miles.  I think this beats some of the AIDS Walk NY's that I used to do.  I can't recall how long those were.

Longest drive?  Possibly NYC to Virginia Beach.  It seemed long.

Longest bike ride?  Probably East 35th Street between Kings Highway and Avenue L.  (About 1 block)  Like DR George, I have never been much of a bike rider.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 06:27:27 AM »

Hmmm...your mother either doesn't think much of what goes on at Disney World or she once had a very interesting visit there.

Duly noted, and corrected.   ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 06:40:47 AM »

Longest drive was when  I was a kid and we went from Medford to Anaheim.

Longest walk...hmmm...I walked a LOT as a teenager...but I don't havea clue what my longest walk would have been.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 06:49:55 AM »

Quick word on Emmy nominations this morning. I had to go to the website and download the entire list since they announce only the leading acting and series nominees live.

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and (of all things) WILL & GRACE led with 15 nominations each.

Drama nominees: '24,' LOST, DEADWOOD, SIX FEET UNDER, and THE WEST WING.

Comedy nominees: DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, SCRUBS, and WILL & GRACE.

3 of the five DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES were nominated. Left out were Eva Langoria (Gabrielle) and Nicolette Sheridan (Edie). None of the men were nominated in either leading or supporting categories!

The Quentin Tarentino-directed episode of CSI was nominated for Best Direction, but, sadly, George Eads was not nominated for his great performance in that 90 minute episode (or for the rest of his fine work this season).

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2005, 06:51:00 AM »

Oops. Meant to mention that Angela Lansbury did indeed get her 18th nomination this morning for her guest work on LAW & ORDER: SVU/TRIAL BY JURY. She has never won an Emmy.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 06:59:59 AM »

Great news. I'm not having to help my friend unload the pod until 1 p.m. this afternoon, so I'll be able to post here this morning as usual.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2005, 07:14:15 AM »

Longest car ride --  1993 - WORLD YOUTH DAY.  I drove in a caravan of about 6 other cars from Arnold, CA to Denver, CO. (three days from one place to the other) with a bunch of teenagers, which was quite fun.  In my car was my mom, my brother and my sister (who lasted until the 2nd pit stop then was replaced!).  

On the aforementioned car trip, my 1985 Ford Bronco II began to make noises and do some rather strange things in the middle of NOWHERE - that would be Nevada!  So, we stopped in this small town and had some guy take a look at it.  He was pretty darned worthless, so the priest that was in our caravan threw some holy water on the car, blessed it and we where on our way.  The first stay-over stop was in Ely, Nevada.  They had a Ford dealership so in the morning I brought the car in.  Evidently, the transfer case was out of fluid.  They refilled it and we were on our way.   The rest of the trip was great.   When we got home, I had the car looked at more thoroughly, and when they took the cover off the transfer case, they found a pile of steel shavings which had been a good portion of the transfer case.  I can't tell you how lucky we were that nothing happened.  

Walking - we walked EVERYWHERE in Paris, hard to say how far that was.

I haven't biked in a long time, been meaning to invest in a new bike, soon, though.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2005, 07:23:56 AM »

Longest walk would have been when I was in summer camp, I guess. We hiked about five miles to a mountain and then hiked to the top of it, slept there that night, and then hiked back down and home the next day. It was probably 10 miles each way, but it's been so long ago that I may have the distances exaggerated in my mind.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2005, 07:27:02 AM »

As for a car trip, I guess that would be from SC to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls. My aunt and uncle took us to New York every Christmas vacation and every summer, and we'd do different things on the way there each year. That year, we went up to Niagra Falls and then came back to NYC for a few days to see some shows. I think that was the summer we saw Alfred Drake in KISMET at Lincoln Center (NY State Theater), but I wouldn't swear it was that trip.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2005, 07:28:21 AM »

I enjoying riding my bicycle when I was young, but I don't remember going on any extended distance trips. I remember riding across town to one of the local cemeteries, but that's about the extent of my memory of bike riding.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up