Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL SHOOK UP  (Read 17750 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:ALL SHOOK UP
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2005, 07:29:04 AM »

And Ms. Lansbury has her knee replacement surgery today, so here's hoping everything goes OK for her!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2005, 07:46:37 AM »

I am an inveterate walker.  For a period in the nineties, I was walking four to six miles every day just as a matter of health regimen.  The longest walk would probably be one that The Lovely Wife and I took from our house here in the Wood of Holly to the Gene Autry Museum in Griffith Park and back.  It's about 3 miles or so from our house to the park and another 3 miles or so from the edge of the park to the museum.  We figured it was a good twelve or thirteen miles.  All in an afternoon.   And when in London, we walk everywhere, thinking nothing of going from our flat in Upper St. Martin's Lane to the Tower, to Camden, to the Vickie and Al Museum.  That does not include all the walking that's done once one arrives at those places or just how much walking we do in the City on any given day.  Given the tragedy there last week, you can bet when we go again, we'll be walking still and not taking the tube anywhere (which we never realy did anyway).

The longest car trip would easily be from here in LA to Cincinnati, Ohio and vice versa.  A trip I have made many times.  The biggest feat, however, was returning from Lexington, Kentucky to LA and doing it in two days.  The longest non-stop (except for gas and potty breaks) car trips were back in my acting days.  I've done them from Odessas, Texas, to Kentucky. Odessa to Memphis. Dallas to Columbus, Ohio; Dallas to Atlanta; Dallas to Charlotte, North Carolina.  I often had another driver with me, spelling me, but a couple of those were solo.

Now for the shocker.  I've never taken a bike ride of any duration.  I've never owned a bike.  I don't know how to ride a bike.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 07:50:46 AM by Charles Pogue »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2005, 07:51:25 AM »

Good Morning!

Feeling a little out of sorts this morning...  -I think I may have had an anxiety attack last night around 4:00am or so...  Or it might have been the Bolivian food I had for dinner...  Or both...

:-\

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2005, 07:54:11 AM »

I have a bicycle in my garage but the tires have gone flat for lack of use. There's no good reason I don't ride it. I live in a lovely neighborhood that would be fun to drive around in. I have both a manual air pump and one that runs off the car battery, either of which could pump up the tires in no time flat. (uh, no pun intended).

I just never think to do it.

Jason

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2005, 07:55:37 AM »

I've never walked as much as I have since I moved to New York. When my parents were here in February, I think we must have walked at least four miles a day. At least. My goal was to exhaust them. I did, but exhausted myself in the process, as well. :)

I honestly can't think of my longest bike ride - there've been so many. Probably the Tour de France... ::ahem:: Moving on...

I did the drive between Louisville and Oklahoma City at least 8 times round trip. I think that was a 13-hour drive each way, and I always did it in one day. (I couldn't afford to stay overnight anywhere, so I had to do it.) I also drove from Dallas to Louisville by way of Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis and Nashville. That was a long drive, too, but an interesting one as I'd never driven that way before.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2005, 07:56:20 AM »

Since I have to be at my friend's condo at 1 p.m., I must get off the internet now and start preparing some lunch so I can eat before I head out to help him. I'll be back in the late afternoon or early evening.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2005, 07:58:30 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day:

Longest Walk - Well, when I was in NYC in March, I did walk up from Canal to 92nd Street.  How far is that?  However, I do know I've walked at least a good 12 miles in one fell swoop a couple of times.  I like walking.

Longest bike ride - I believe when I was around 12-years old, I ended up biking 20 miles once along the bike trails in Arlington County.  Very nice trails.

Longest car ride - Well, when I was younger and my parents moved from Washington, DC, to Seattle, WA, we drove - and we took the "low" road through Nevada in order to hit San Diego on the way so we could visit some relatives there.  I think we did the cross-country part in five days.  Then when we moved from Seattle to New London, CT, we did that in three days.

As for drives on my own...  I've done the drive from DC to Chicago, round-trip, twice on my own, and in one day - 14-16 hours.   Or was it more like 18?  In any case, I've done that drive.  I've also driven from Richmond to Evansville each time I've worked at New Harmony.  But I have to say the longest feeling drive has to have to been from Richmond to Ft. Myers - there are some truly boring stretches along the I-95 corridor.  And who knew Florida was so long?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2005, 08:01:04 AM »

...And then there was that Bus & Truck Tour of Anything Goes I did.  We started in Logan, UT, and ended up in Red Bank, NJ about 53 days later.  In the meantime, we drove through all but seven of the contiguous United States; we drove through the Badlands; and we even drove across Texas (with overnight stops in Amarillo (ugly city)) THREE TIMES!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2005, 08:04:14 AM »

I have a bicycle in my garage but the tires have gone flat for lack of use. There's no good reason I don't ride it. I live in a lovely neighborhood that would be fun to drive around in. I have both a manual air pump and one that runs off the car battery, either of which could pump up the tires in no time flat. (uh, no pun intended).

I just never think to do it.

Could you mount a portable DVD player to the handlebars?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2005, 08:09:29 AM »

I don't want to curse it and bring on massive amounts of work, but...I'm dying of boredom at MTI right now. Absolute boredom. I would update my blog, but I don't think anyone's reading it, anyway. I am happy to announce, however, that I now have an air conditioner in my room!! YAY!!!

Jason

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2005, 08:10:22 AM »

In case anyone else is bored...

http://jasonbratton.blogs.friendster.com/my_blog/

...some fun stories from my childhood involving the Dutch. And a fun game I play called, "Imaginary Community Theatre Bios." I like that one a lot.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 08:37:39 AM by Jason »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2005, 08:14:58 AM »

Jason - I'm MD'ing "Urinetown" next spring, MTI doesn't have the orchestration list up yet... any clue as to what the break down is?  :)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2005, 08:18:14 AM »

The gal and I went on a walk with some friends upstate in Watkins Glen. These guys are in one of those walking clubs where you are assigned various walks and you check them off your list as you finish them. Now TPunk's not exactly what one would call an outdoorsy person. At some point we were walking on an old railroad track and when a deer crossed our path, she was so excited she shouted with glee, "F***ing nature!!!" A phrase we have ribbed her about ever since.

Jason

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2005, 08:21:34 AM »

Jason - I'm MD'ing "Urinetown" next spring, MTI doesn't have the orchestration list up yet... any clue as to what the break down is?  :)

PIANO, BASS, PERCUSSION, REED and TROMBONE.

Reed book is voiced for Alto Sax, Bass Clarinet, Clarinet and Soprano Sax.

T'bone book is voiced for Bass T'bone (cross cued for Tenor T'bone) and Euphonium
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 08:23:47 AM by Jason »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2005, 08:21:37 AM »

AH...  I just checked out that Mapquest map I had made for that Anything Goes Tour...

Driving Distance: 14616.2 miles
42 venues in 66 days - or something close to that

And here's the map... my apologies for the semi-widescreen:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 08:31:42 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2005, 08:23:04 AM »

Hmmm... Let me make that smaller... Hold on...
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2005, 08:27:04 AM »

I drove from Atlanta to Sacramento once by myself. It was funny because I drove all day the first day and got to Dallas, passing through Ga., Ala, Miss, La. and a bunch of Texas. I drove all day the next day and didn't make it out of Texas. That's when I realized how vast that state is.

I like long road trips. I have also gone from SF to Ohio, and NYC to Ohio...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2005, 08:32:05 AM »

Much better.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2005, 08:33:22 AM »

...And now I must ready myself for this afternoon's round of auditions.  This time, I'm at Arena Stage for Damn Yankees.  I think.  I hope.

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2005, 08:43:32 AM »

Walking:  I walked across London one night....I know I walked about five hours non-stop, but have no clue as to the distance.

I've walked Rome for hours at a time (stopping only for water or a light snack).  I wore out a pair of shoes walking Rome one visit.  They weren't new shoes, but they weren't old shoes, either.  

I have also walked through a good chunk of San Francisco, but "not lately," I can tell you.  Some of those hills are killers.

Walking is the absolute BEST way of seeing things, appreciating things AND being kind to your body.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 08:45:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2005, 09:01:46 AM »

I have also walked through a good chunk of San Francisco, but "not lately," I can tell you.  Some of those hills are killers.

'Specially in heels!   ;D

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2005, 09:13:30 AM »

And a fun game I play called, "Imaginary Community Theatre Bios." I like that one a lot.

Oh, you are too, too wicked, young man!  Those are REALLY funny!   ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2005, 09:16:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: PODIATRY!

I, myself, am doing the Lambada (The Forbidden Dance).
I came across a book on podiatry at the library the other day.  It was filled with footnotes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2005, 09:32:03 AM »

I'm supposed to be doing my homework, but I'm trapped in front of the computer underneath a furry brown meowing lump.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jason

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2005, 09:36:10 AM »

I'm supposed to be doing my homework, but I'm trapped in front of the computer underneath a furry brown meowing lump.

You should have that checked out, Sandra.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2005, 09:41:01 AM »

I remember the Cornell and Magnolia theaters in Burbank, esteemed BK.  I remember them both as being rather run down, however.  And I'm not that much younger than you.  (Of course, since my mother was never fond of movie theaters in the first place, and since she prefered the family to go to movies together, and since Dad was, quite frankly, cheap, we usually went to drive-ins if we went at all.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2005, 09:46:02 AM »

TOD - The longest drive, all in one stretch, was in 1959 when my parents and I made our first trip back to Portland, OR, from Detroit.  We drove through from Denver to Pendleton, OR, with Mom and Dad sharing the driving.  It was about 1000 miles and the interstate highway system was just being built.  I remember my mom was driving when we went through Cheyenne, WY, and we were listening to a rodeo on the radio (sounds like a title for a BK novel, doesn't it?) when we passed the arena where it was taking place.

While our DS Rob was growing up, our family took 3 long road trips.  Our "See the USA" tour in 1996 took us 3 and a half weeks, about 6000 miles, with these major stops:

Black Hills, SD
Yellowstone National Park
Salt Lake City, UT
Zion National Park
Las Vegas, NV
Los Angeles, CA
Phoenix, AZ (where picked up my mom)
Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM
Amarillo, TX (you're right, DR Jose - ugly)
Tulsa, OK
St. Louis, MO

"See the USA II" in 1999 took us east to many Civil War battlefields, Washington, DC, and the Jersey shore and NYC.

"Colorado, Rocky Mountain High," in 2001, took us to the western state we had skirted around in 1996.  On the way out we stopped in Independence, MO, at the Truman presidential site and on the way back in Abilene, KS, for Eisenhower.

We loved these trips.  I think everyone should drive cross-country at least once in their lifetime.

Long walks I remember were in Chicago (not this most recent trip).

I'm not much of a bicycler, but we have done pieces (maybe 10 miles or so at a stretch) of some the Little Miami Trail, which goes from Cincinnati to Dayton.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2005, 09:47:12 AM »

Longest drive: from our old home in Long Beach, CA, to our current home in Rehoboth Beach, DE.  Not that long ago, really, just a little over a year and a half.

I've never been much of a bike rider.

Longest walk, during college.  I'd gotten stuck in downtown Fresno (which sounds redundant) and made my way back to the University, which was on the outskirts.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2005, 09:49:14 AM »

Today is Cow Appreciation Day.

Eat a chicken.

(Alternatively, if you have a cow, make sure everyone around appreciates it.)

Ginny

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2005, 09:51:03 AM »

Today is Cow Appreciation Day.

Eat a chicken.

(Alternatively, if you have a cow, make sure everyone around appreciates it.)

One of the signs I remember from our drive across Wyoming said:

"You're in Cattle Country - Eat More Beef"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up