Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BUG-A-BOOS  (Read 27958 times)

FJL

Re:BUG-A-BOOS
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2005, 08:42:08 AM »

Bugaboos - Was that the name of that TV show about the bugs from the people who brought us HR PUFNSTUF?  Or was that the BUGALOOS?  I guess it's an easy search on imdb, but one of my bugaboos is people who tell me to look things up rather than take the easy way out.  :)

Theaters that won't give seat locations over the phone in this day and age

People at work who come in and say "I have a quick research question - should only take five minutes" which means they don't want me to charge their client on my time sheet for the time but they still want the right, complete answer

Wow, that's all the bugaboos I can think of!  I must be having a pretty good life!  But I'm sure more will come to me.

FJL

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2005, 08:42:53 AM »

Another bugaboo - not being computer savvy enough to do a page three dance :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2005, 08:43:23 AM »

Well, I really hate Radio City Music Hall as a venue for the Tonys. I doubt if they'll move it back to a legit theater, however, unless TV goes out of the picture.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2005, 08:44:11 AM »

Anthony told me once, in regard to lateness, a phrase one of his directors used about rehearsal time. I think there are three components but I can only remember two

On-time is early

Late is on-time (because rehearsal is called for X o'clock and you're supposed to be there and ready to start at X o'clock not just arriving at the theatre)

I can't remember the third one, it's got something to do with later than that being unacceptable.

Which brings me to an office bug-a-boo. People who are supposed to work 9to5 or variations thereof. They come to the office at 9am (or somewhere thereabouts), go into the lounge and have breakfast for anywhere from 15 minutes to a half hour, then proceed to work and slip out at 5 minutes to 5. I'm not a supervisor (nor do I wish to be, I consider it a job from hell for a person such as I) so I can't do anything about it.

And that, my friends is a bug-a-boo from yours truly.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2005, 08:46:52 AM »

We've talked about this before here, but I'll bring it up again as another pet peeve, one I had when I was a student and later as a teacher: teachers who don't give back test papers as immediately as possible. When one has to wait two weeks to find out how he did on a test, that really used to piss me off. I swore I'd never do it to my students, and I never did, but teachers who teamed with me made it clear they got tired of students using me as an example when they wouldn't give back papers for days or weeks.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2005, 08:55:02 AM »

Well, I need to get started on cooking some food. I'll be back later this afternoon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2005, 09:21:31 AM »

I shall now be on my way to my morning meeting, after which I shall return.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2005, 09:27:25 AM »

Hey, for those of you who watch The LawFirm. NBC cancelled it.  I think they are showing the remaining episodes on some other cable channel i don't get.

I HATE it when stations cancel shows mid-stream.  Very unfair to the viewers who tune in.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2005, 09:37:33 AM »

Hey, for those of you who watch The LawFirm. NBC cancelled it.  I think they are showing the remaining episodes on some other cable channel i don't get.

I HATE it when stations cancel shows mid-stream.  Very unfair to the viewers who tune in.

Evidently, NBC doesn't have a problem with that.  They cancelled "Last Comic Standing" just before airing the last episode!!  They went through the entire show and literally the very last episode where they were going to reveal the "last comic standing," they didn't show the episode!  Now that's tacky!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2005, 09:49:17 AM »

DR George, but wasn't there a way that we were still able to watch that last show?

IMO, they should air it at some ridiculous time. But at least allow those fans of the shows the chance to watch.  Especially these shows where there is a winner.

Anybody know what station will be carrying the lawfirm episodes?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2005, 09:55:50 AM »

Unbelievable cell phone use department:  On our recent trip, we stopped in the Grand Tetons at Jenny Lake, took the little boat ride across, and hiked the two miles or so up to Inspiration Point (and I do mean UP to Inspiration Point--oy).  Anyway, there we are enjoying the view, and up comes this ridiculous woman, SCREAMING into her cell phone that she can't believe she had service there.  And she wasn't even talking about anything important (is anyone on a cell phone?)--she segued into what color she was going to paint her living room.  A bunch of us stared at her and some people made comments, but of course she just kept SCREAMING into her phone, because, after all, she had service.   >:(

My new best friend Keith (of Jane & Keith, or is that Keith and Jane? ;) )has discovered that PennyO and I may be related.  Don't even get me started on my Jewish thighs, LOL.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2005, 09:57:45 AM »

Pet Peeves:

People who talk on cell phones while driving, while shopping, while in elevators, while walking down the street.

While driving:  These people are incapable of functioning rationally in a moving vehicle..  Any time there is a problem in traffic, I discover the car causing the problem is being driven by someone talking on a cell phone.

While shopping:  People are incapable of pushing shopping carts and talking on a cell phone. Period. (Same as drivers, actually).  And it's just irritating to see someone stopped in the Produce or Meat or Deli department arguing with someone about what to get for dinner.  Absurd.

While in elevators:  Oh, PLEASE!  First, why would anyone want to treat fellow passengers to a private conversation?  And second, I have encountered people who shush the passengers around them BECAUSE they're taking a call.  For my part, I start talking or singing loudly until the car stops at my floor.  I have no tolerance for such nonsense.

While walking down the street:  This is the least objectionable, but I have to say the people talking on cell phones in any public venue risk appearing like  a crazy person!  Stopping and getting out of the way of others while taking/making a call is the proper thing to do.  Those who don't earn/deserve whatever derision comes their way.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2005, 09:58:23 AM »

Well i guess it is on bravo, which is good for you guys. But bad for me. We don't get that station. Although i will ask my sis if she gets it on her satellite.

http://www.bravotv.com/Schedule/search.bravo?month=2006-12&keyword=Law%20Firm&start=today

Jennifer

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »

ah i see they are putting it on at 2am. how thoughtful! :)

Ben

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2005, 10:02:32 AM »

I straightened out the early/late axiom from my previous post.

Early is On-Time

On-Time is Late

Late is Unacceptable

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2005, 10:03:42 AM »

Big Brother 6 Spoilage:

For what it's worth, Sarah is a goner.  What's worse, April and Jenn, who have been reviling James all week and trying their damnedest to make him look like a beast, are now sucking up to him in hopes that he will be HOH.  They turned Howie against James last week, and now they hope to urge James to take on Howie.

If I didn't loathe both of them so badly, I'd respect them for the effectiveness of their tactics.  I still don't get how James and Howie can't see through them, but people are different everywhere you go.

What up, Kaysar?  I hope he returns to the house tonight.

Stupidest comment from Ivette this week:  She said that if the vote goes badly and she has to leave the house, then she is going to nominate April and Jenn for eviction next week.

??HUH??

I wonder how she would have accomplished that...being evicted from the house and all?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2005, 10:10:51 AM »

I just left the delightful Larry Moore and Joey. I met them after a quick lunch. We looked around Academy. They have lots of Larry's CDs and also Mr. BK's. They have the Terry Trotter Forum in Jazz plus two copies of Unsung Sondheim and Larry's work on Cinderella and the JAY/TER complete recording of Sweet Charity.

They are on to Footlight which is still open but pretty picked over by now. The store will stay open until either August 14th or 18th. They want to get rid of as much stock as possible so they don't fill up their warehouse with lots of LPs.

That's the report from Chelsea. Back to Work!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2005, 10:29:57 AM »

DR George, but wasn't there a way that we were still able to watch that last show?

I know they announced the winner later, but I can't remember if they actually showed the last episode on Comedy Central or some other station. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2005, 10:47:20 AM »

Thanks for the vibes, DRMATTH.

Time will tell what an audience makes of it!

And one of your bugaboos is also on my list, the people who pass you to go a few blocks and make a turn....

ALSO the people who pull out in front of you - when there is NO traffic behind you, and they could have waited, but didn't want to....they are more important.

I usually drive pretty close to them for awhile hoping they will think twice next time.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2005, 10:49:36 AM »

DRJANE - Annette and her husband Glen are back together - but a couple of weeks ago, they were involved in a car crash.  Annette's leg was broken and she was in the hospital for five days.

She is home now and doing as well as can be expected.

Virginia her mom is very upset because someone took a very unflattering picture of Annette leaving the hospital....and sold it to the GLOBE.

Fame - forever let us hold our banner high.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2005, 11:07:59 AM »

Bug-a-boos?  How much time do you have?

LIARS!  I abhor them and will go to extreme lengths to prove them liars...especially if they are telling lies about me!

PEOPLE WHO BREAK THEIR WORD.

TARDINESS IN ALL FORMS.  I had being late (and subsequently, have rarely ever been so); I hate people who are constantly late...it's so rude to other people, basically saying that I'm more important than you, my time is more valuable than yours, you must wait for my convenience.  I have been known to leave Hollywood waiting rooms if people are more than twenty minutes late for a meeting with me.

The Lovely Wife and I have ongoing differences about getting to an airport.  She will be packing things up to the last minute.  I like to leave early (in the eventuality of possibilities like traffic, flat tires, accidents) and get there way early.  Once I'm through the conga lines of ticketing and baggage check, etc.  I can then relax and kick back, even if I have to read a book or twiddle my thumbs for a couple of hours.

ON THE HIGHWAY:  I hate vans and RV and SUVs or any other vehicle that is so high that it impedes my vision of the road and makes unable to survey conditions several car lengths ahead of me.  I hate people who slow down to make turns.  I hate, REALLY HATE, people who cannot pull out into the middle of the intersection in preparation of a left-turn, thereby not allowing  the next two cars behind them to complete the left on the yellow as well.  I hate people who zig and zag between lanes and then end up only one car ahead of you at the next light.  Saved lots of time, didn't you, asshole?

CELL PHONES:  Let's all disconnect from the real life around us to we can engage in the most boring, aimless conversations with stupid friends who have no real life either.  You want to say to these people in restaurants, stores, sporting events, movies, on the street:  "Shut up!  Your sad, pathetic life isn't interesting enough to share with the rest of us!"

Ben

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2005, 11:25:20 AM »

CP said:

I like to leave early (in the eventuality of possibilities like traffic, flat tires, accidents) and get there way early.  Once I'm through the conga lines of ticketing and baggage check, etc.  I can then relax and kick back, even if I have to read a book or twiddle my thumbs for a couple of hours.

Bravo! I am the same way. Travel is so unpleasant nowadays. Once I get where I'm going things are usually fine but getting there involves such trouble now. I would rather drive and this is from someone who doesn't own a car!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2005, 11:25:55 AM »

Don't even get me started on my Jewish thighs, LOL.

Photos!  Post photos!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2005, 11:33:56 AM »

Well, I'm back from a delightful trek with DRJoey:  we first went to Central Park this morning, saw the Delacourte Theatre, the statues of Alice in Wonderland and Hans Christian Andersen, the Bethesda Fountain, the Boat Basin, the Sheep Meadow, and Tavern on the Green.  We left the Park at 72nd Street, went to the Dakota, where Joey photographed the spot where John Lennon was shot.  The trip took about an hour and a half.  We then took the subway down to 18th Street and walked over to Academy where we met Ben, visited briefly, and then walked Ben back to work.  Joey bought a couple of CDs, including an Irving Berlin compilation.  We walked to Footlight, where I bought a British import of a LADY IN THE DARK compilation with Gertrude Lawrence, Danny Kaye, and Hildegarde.  We then walked down to Washington Square and over to the subway.  Joey is now checking out the TIX booth and I think he's going over to Rockefeller Center.  This old whore is tired.

DRPogue, I agree with you.  I'd rather be hours earlier to the airport.  Since I usually travel with a book the length of WAR & PEACE, I'd rather read and wait in peace.  Hmmm, WHORE AND PIECE, it may be my autobio, but is it a better title than SLOUCHING TOWARD IMMORALITY, my other choice?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 11:36:39 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2005, 11:48:27 AM »

Photos!  Post photos!

The horror!  The horror!   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2005, 11:57:32 AM »

Bug-a-boos?  How much time do you have?

LIARS!  I abhor them and will go to extreme lengths to prove them liars...especially if they are telling lies about me!

PEOPLE WHO BREAK THEIR WORD.

TARDINESS IN ALL FORMS.  I had being late (and subsequently, have rarely ever been so); I hate people who are constantly late...it's so rude to other people, basically saying that I'm more important than you, my time is more valuable than yours, you must wait for my convenience.  I have been known to leave Hollywood waiting rooms if people are more than twenty minutes late for a meeting with me.

The Lovely Wife and I have ongoing differences about getting to an airport.  She will be packing things up to the last minute.  I like to leave early (in the eventuality of possibilities like traffic, flat tires, accidents) and get there way early.  Once I'm through the conga lines of ticketing and baggage check, etc.  I can then relax and kick back, even if I have to read a book or twiddle my thumbs for a couple of hours.

Hate liars and people who break their word.  For example, one recent event, not a biggie, but truly annoying to me, is we were told we'd hear back from the theater yesterday morning about the dates availability.  We didn't, despite Tammy's mother having left two messages.  We still haven't heard.  That, to me, is reprehensible and not the way to run a theater.  Amateursville, baby, amateursville.

I am never late, unless I am completely stuck in traffic, and even then rarely because I leave earlier than necessary.  However, I was ten minutes late to my meeting this morning even though I left ten minutes earlier than necessary.  The meeting was in the Hills of Beverly, and Coldwater Canyon, the only way to really get there, was backed up all the way into the Valley.  Completely inane.  Part of the reason for it was that there was an accident that had closed down the 405, and crazy people were trying every other conceivable route to get over the hill.  I've never seen traffic like this on Coldwater, where it's backed up solid all the way to Ventura Blvd.  Occasionally, it's crowded as you get closer to Mulholland, but that's usually it.  This was solid, Jackson, solid, and a fifteen minute ride took close to forty-five minutes.

The meeting, however, was really good, so that's nice.  

I, too, am fanatical about arriving much earlier than necessary at the airport - sometimes I'm there over two hours early, but I'm much more relaxed when I finally get on the plane, and I have no problem just sitting there and relaxing until boarding.

Jed

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2005, 12:07:46 PM »

Big bugaboo: People who eat, remove, take, etc., the last thing in a package.  And then put the package back.  I have yelled at chided the dear partner for about 15 years on this issue.  And still he does it.  Grrrrrrr!

How very familiar this sounds.  Thankfully, Ann is beginning to learn (and it hasn't even been close to 15 years). :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2005, 12:12:54 PM »

Tall people in front of you, in a theatre without sufficient rake, who insist on moving from side to side during the entire performance  so that you have to keep sliding froom side to side in order to see anything other than their big fat head

I think I have to come to the defense of my tall, big-headed brethren here.  If those you find yourself sitting behind are like me, we try not to make things too difficult for those behind us, but some theater seats have such a ridiculously tiny amount of leg room that we have to make those adjustments now and then to keep any circulation in our legs at all.  Our most sincere apologies!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2005, 12:16:28 PM »

TOD - Being in public service, as I am, I get very annoyed when the situation is reversed and the people in places like banks, stores, airports, box offices, and (gasp) even libraries (including my own) who are supposed to be waiting on me don't extend the level of courtesy and service that I try to provide.  I mean, making eye contact and trying to be pleasant are not THAT difficult.

Likewise, when I'm on the giving end of service, it's annoying to not receive a simple "Thank you."  

Since I give a lot of presentations, I try not to do some of the things that annoy me when I'm in an audience.  One of my biggest peeves is a speaker who says, "I don't have enough hand-outs for everybody."  Like those of us (and I'm included) who like to get to the airport early, I always have 'way more materials prepared than people registered for a presentation.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2005, 12:19:57 PM »

DR elmore.... I must get you to give your tour to me and the Vixter one day... I am ashamed to admit it but I have never seen the Delacourt Theatre, the statues of Alice and Hans Christian Anderson, The Central Park Zoo, or any of the other wonders of Central Park

when I was young it was  Washington Square Park I went to a dn then I just stopped going 6to the city except for theatre and then I was just in & out....

I really must start bringing the Vixter in and start doing the tourist thing

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up