Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BUG-A-BOOS  (Read 29207 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:BUG-A-BOOS
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »

TOD - Being in public service, as I am, I get very annoyed when the situation is reversed and the people in places like banks, stores, airports, box offices, and (gasp) even libraries (including my own) who are supposed to be waiting on me don't extend the level of courtesy and service that I try to provide.  I mean, making eye contact and trying to be pleasant are not THAT difficult.

Likewise, when I'm on the giving end of service, it's annoying to not receive a simple "Thank you."  

Since I give a lot of presentations, I try not to do some of the things that annoy me when I'm in an audience.  One of my biggest peeves is a speaker who says, "I don't have enough hand-outs for everybody."  Like those of us (and I'm included) who like to get to the airport early, I always have 'way more materials prepared than people registered for a presentation.

Me, too DR GINNY!  ;D

Sounds like DR JOEY is being shown the town by experts....very nice of you, DR ELMORE.  Good practice for when New York Newbie DRMBARNUM shows up in the fall!  8)

DR ELMORE you could also call your autobiography: NOTES I'VE LEFT BEHIND
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 12:31:39 PM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2005, 12:37:01 PM »

Punctuality is huge with me, as with many others here, I see.  I'm another of those who will be sure to leave plenty of time to get anywhere, usually resulting in my being a bit on the early side.  I don't mind at all having a little time to kill if it prevents any anxiety over possibly being late.

Or people who generally have no concept of time.  They say "It'll be no more than an hour, tops," and then two hours later...  Grrrr.  Estimate on the long end, people!  Simply doing that will prevent the rest of us from waiting for you, and if it ends up being quicker than you said, bonus!  Not all that difficult, I wouldn't think.
Oh, wait... I'm dating one of those people... ;)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2005, 12:37:38 PM »

Me, too DR GINNY!  ;D

Sounds like DR JOEY is being shown the town by experts....very nice of you, DR ELMORE.  Good practice for when New York Newbie DRMBARNUM shows up in the fall!  8)

DRJRand, our DRJoey has taken to New York like a duck to water.  I don't believe I assimilated so quickly.  He's been a fantastic guest and his happiness at being in New York is quite infectious.  When DRMichael Barnum shows up, I'm taking him to the lower East side where I understand there's an Indian film theatre, dropping him off, and waiting for him to resurface after several days.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2005, 12:44:27 PM »

DRJRand, our DRJoey has taken to New York like a duck to water.  I don't believe I assimilated so quickly.  He's been a fantastic guest and his happiness at being in New York is quite infectious.  When DRMichael Barnum shows up, I'm taking him to the lower East side where I understand there's an Indian film theatre, dropping him off, and waiting for him to resurface after several days.  

DR elmore - is this DR Joey's first visit to the city?   Will it be DR MBarnum's?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2005, 12:47:41 PM »

When DRMichael Barnum shows up, I'm taking him to the lower East side where I understand there's an Indian film theatre, dropping him off, and waiting for him to resurface after several days.  

;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2005, 01:02:32 PM »

Oh, traveling by plane now IS a major pain in getting to your gate. On this trip, one had to take off shoes, belts, all manner of clothing items to be x-rayed before gaining access to the concourse. I guess scanning shoes is NOW the latest annoyance, and I found it PLENTY annoying.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 01:03:58 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2005, 01:03:04 PM »

DR elmore - is this DR Joey's first visit to the city?   Will it be DR MBarnum's?

This was indeed DRJoey's first trip, and he has been more prepared than the invasion of Normandy.  He arrived knowing more about New York than I do after 25 years of living here!  Luckily for me, he wears his preparedness lightly.  It will also be DRMBarnum's first trip as well, but since it will be a terrific social week with you, Danise, Jane, hopefully all the local DRs, and I think a few surprise guests,  DRMBarnum is arriving a few days early to acclimate.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2005, 01:05:31 PM »

Yes, I've mentioned before here how much I am aware of punctuality. I don't mind waiting ahead of time for anything, but I can't stand being late to anything.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2005, 01:06:41 PM »

Well, I can't seem to tear myself away from THE THIN MAN. Watched THE SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN today, and so far, it looks the best of the four I've seen. Just a little dirt, and that's all, but very sharp picture and excellent contrast makes for a striking black and white picture.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2005, 01:09:22 PM »

Even better on THE SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN disc is Jules Dassin's MGM short THE TELL-TALE HEART. Though not entirely faithful to Poe's horror tale, it's close enough that I used to show this (taped off TCM years ago) to my classes that had studied the Poe tale.

It's beautifully made, nicely atmospheric (though you can tell it was done on a shoestring budget), and stars Joseph Schildkraut as the murderer. This was made the year before he won the Oscar as Best Supporting Actor for EMILE ZOLA.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2005, 01:12:42 PM »

And I got McMILLAN & WIFE - Season 1 in the mail today.

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2005, 01:28:25 PM »

It will also be DRMBarnum's first trip as well, but since it will be a terrific social week with you, Danise, Jane, hopefully all the local DRs, and I think a few surprise guests,  DRMBarnum is arriving a few days early to acclimate.  

Oh!  I'd missed that DR MBarnum's visit was going to coincide with the big October convergence - how exciting!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2005, 01:35:35 PM »

This was indeed DRJoey's first trip, and he has been more prepared than the invasion of Normandy.  He arrived knowing more about New York than I do after 25 years of living here!  Luckily for me, he wears his preparedness lightly.  It will also be DRMBarnum's first trip as well, but since it will be a terrific social week with you, Danise, Jane, hopefully all the local DRs, and I think a few surprise guests,  DRMBarnum is arriving a few days early to acclimate.  

My goodness.  Such a festive occasion.

Is that what every Hainsie/Kimlet can expect if he/she visits NYC??

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 01:39:01 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2005, 01:42:29 PM »

Another Pet Peeve:

You wait in line to get service.  Just as you step up, the telephone rings, and the person about to help you takes the call and helps the caller, instead.

This has happened to me several times in the past.  And a couple of times, when the call was done, my "turn" was interrupted by a second call.

I did not let these instances pass without the tersest of remarks for EVERYone to hear, including supervisors.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2005, 01:43:28 PM »

In today's mail:

Criterion's "My Man Godfrey"

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2005, 01:57:46 PM »

How very familiar this sounds.  Thankfully, Ann is beginning to learn (and it hasn't even been close to 15 years). :D

What's worse, and is my TRUE bug-a-boo is when he (or anyone) puts back, let's say, a bag of potato chips (Baked Lays, nowadays, natch!) with maybe 2 chips left.  Or...puts an ice cube tray back in the freezer with one cube in it.  (And hasn't re-filled the rest of the spots!)  Or a half gallon of orange juice with maybe a quarter inch of OJ left.

Now, what really goads me about this is....Well, some of you may have surmised that I am somewhat fussbudget-y about certain things.  And I am.  I wholeheartedly admit it.  But, as part of my persnicketiness, I make shopping lists before I go grocery shopping.  And if I look in pantry to see a box of crackers (if we are goign to be having guests), I fully expect there to be crackers in that box.  Maybe not a full box.  Maybe not a full sleeve left.  But not an empty box.  'Nuff said.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2005, 02:15:36 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Ah... A not too hot, not too humid summer afternoon...

Vincent Bell's rendition of Burt Bacharach's "Nikki" just finished, and Percy Faith's version of "No Blanco do Jequiba" just started playing...

Now all I need is a pina colada...

...And a cabana boy.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2005, 02:16:13 PM »

Another peeve - automated phone answering systems.  Our doctor's office has one that says, "If you are a physician, or calling from the hospital, press 1."  Patients in need are 'way down at #5.  When I complained to our doctor and said I doubted I was the only one with this complaint, he said, "No, you're just the most vocal."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2005, 02:18:43 PM »

Very good rehearsal today.  And one thing finally came clear today - which sort of started coming to the surface the past two days - We are in very good shape.  Yes, there are still a few spots to work on, but those are spots that will most likely change or be adjusted once we move into the Goodrich Hall, our playing space.  We had a very productive morning session, and then found ourselves calling for ten minutes breaks every half hour since there was nothing else to work on.  And the stuff we did work on was in very good shape.

Alas, as with the period before any tech week - which in our case is actually only going to be two eight hour days of tech... The calm before the storm.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2005, 02:20:21 PM »

Mass MoCA

Hmm, it sounds like some kind of chocolate coffee dessert!

Well, apparently, the museum cafe is known for their dessert offerings, so...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2005, 02:21:42 PM »

You can be replaced.

Hmm... Don't make me call my mother.

Fran Weissler.

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2005, 02:23:39 PM »

Speaking of cell phones, one went off during DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS the other night, and the person with it didn't answer it, so it rang and rang until I guess the voice mail got it. I was SO furious.

Had it been a year ago and Hugh Jackman had been on the stage, he would have stayed in character as Peter Allen and come out in the audience to retrieve the darn thing. How I longed Norbert or John would have done the same thing.

Well, Norbert made a comment about cell phones during a performance of Wicked, after which he was told that he was not to extemporize in the future.  So...  Maybe the producers for DRS put a clause in his contract.
;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2005, 02:26:52 PM »

Well, I'm back from a delightful trek with DRJoey:  we first went to Central Park this morning, saw the Delacourte Theatre, the statues of Alice in Wonderland and Hans Christian Andersen, the Bethesda Fountain, the Boat Basin, the Sheep Meadow, and Tavern on the Green.  We left the Park at 72nd Street, went to the Dakota, where Joey photographed the spot where John Lennon was shot.  The trip took about an hour and a half.  We then took the subway down to 18th Street and walked over to Academy where we met Ben, visited briefly, and then walked Ben back to work.  Joey bought a couple of CDs, including an Irving Berlin compilation.  We walked to Footlight, where I bought a British import of a LADY IN THE DARK compilation with Gertrude Lawrence, Danny Kaye, and Hildegarde.  We then walked down to Washington Square and over to the subway.  Joey is now checking out the TIX booth and I think he's going over to Rockefeller Center.  This old whore is tired.

DRPogue, I agree with you.  I'd rather be hours earlier to the airport.  Since I usually travel with a book the length of WAR & PEACE, I'd rather read and wait in peace.  Hmmm, WHORE AND PIECE, it may be my autobio, but is it a better title than SLOUCHING TOWARD IMMORALITY, my other choice?

First of all, it sounds like you had a lovely morning with DR Joey and DR Ben.  I hope to join you again on one of your jaunts.  Soon, I promise.

Secondly...  I'm thinking a better title would be A WHORE IN PIECES.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2005, 02:29:16 PM »

SWW & DerBrucer is there a story that goes with Snowball?
No, not yet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2005, 02:29:37 PM »

DR elmore.... I must get you to give your tour to me and the Vixter one day... I am ashamed to admit it but I have never seen the Delacourt Theatre, the statues of Alice and Hans Christian Anderson, The Central Park Zoo, or any of the other wonders of Central Park

when I was young it was  Washington Square Park I went to a dn then I just stopped going 6to the city except for theatre and then I was just in & out....

I really must start bringing the Vixter in and start doing the tourist thing

Well, maybe I could do a test run of the Food and Walking tour of Manhattan with you and the Vixter before the October gathering.  And then we could finish in midtown, say around Rockefeller Center... And I can call in my "favors" to you-know-where.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2005, 02:34:07 PM »

TOD: Professionals who do not do their jobs.  As in not showing up, leaving without finishing, etc.

This is the third consecutive day I have waited for the phone company to come hook us up.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2005, 02:34:36 PM »

Welcome to BernadetteFan. Come and join in with us. We are swell people.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2005, 02:34:45 PM »

Listening to an old cassette of Joseph in Hungarian... however, it sounds very Polish.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2005, 02:34:55 PM »

There's also quite a large Indian community in Queens if I recall.

DR MBarnum - Have you checked out http://newyork.eknazar.com/ yet?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2005, 02:38:46 PM »

OOHH!!!

The Dom Frontiere Octet performing "The Trolley Song"!!!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up