Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PLU PLU  (Read 30266 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:PLU PLU
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2005, 02:21:53 PM »

I have always believed that the first two words meant that a woman had somewhat large, lovely breasts.

I have always believed that nubile meant a comely young lass with a good figure.  Let's have some more thoughts on it.

I've also thought that nubile could also mean...a young, flexible person who is desired. :o ;)

Zaftig to me meant a round, plump person (usually a woman) in a pleasing, desirable way, like "Rubenesque."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 02:22:52 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2005, 02:22:30 PM »

And now to put it into tangible terms:

Zaftig: Mary Stout
Buxom: Dolly Parton
Nubile: Natalie Portman

Macho: Antonio Banderas
Butch: Vin Diesel
Studly: Brad Pitt

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2005, 02:22:45 PM »

I think zaftig includes a more generous avoir du pois than buxom.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2005, 02:22:55 PM »

Off to dinner and GODSPELL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2005, 02:23:28 PM »

Macho, butch, studly

Men who don't wear jewelry OR cologne.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2005, 02:27:45 PM »

Based on my past language studies, I'll give this one a go:

Zaftig: Juicy, plump
Buxom: She of the full bosom
Nubile: Weddable; a beautiful girl

Now, the zaftig definition above is what I'm finding most people feel about the word, and that it doesn't imply a large, nice pair of breasts.  I've never ascribed juicy and/or plump to zaftig, but that is what most people and the dictionary say.

Buxom, interestingly, does mean a full bosom, but it also means juicy and/or plump according to Webster's.  Who knew?

Nubile - again, my definition would be a comely young lass ready to be randy.  But, it does mean weddable, too, which I would never ascribe to that word.  

The reason for all this is that there is a repeated line in my play - a beautiful, somewhat zaftig young woman - and the line describes the character Tammy Minoff is playing.  No prob with the beautiful part - but the zaftig has become most controversial.  I love the word, and I certainly know what I meant for it to mean - that the character has a nice full set of boobs, which Miss Minoff definitely has.  But others are confounded by the use of the word, and they momentarily get taken out of the play because they're trying to figure out why someone would describe Tammy as juicy and/or plump.  So, I thought about changing it to buxom, but I'm sorry, if buxom shares the same dictionary meaning, then why shouldn't I use zaftig if I'm going to use buxom.  I also don't like the word nearly as well.

Today I came up with nubile, a word I also love and hadn't thought of before.  When I hear that word, it instantly conjures up a young gal with a great figure.  It would never occur to me that it also means "weddable" although even with that odd word tacked on to the meaning, it still kind of works for the play.  What think all of you?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 02:30:34 PM by bk »

Jason

« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2005, 02:29:30 PM »

When I hear the world ZAFTIG, I think of the Hindeberg Zepplin.

I've seen pictures of Ms. Minoff. ZAFTIG she is not. I think NUBILE would be your best bet.

But, that's just my $.02...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 02:31:08 PM by Jason »

George

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2005, 02:34:38 PM »

Yup...in that context, nubile sounds like the best of all possible words (almost a Candide reference ;)).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2005, 03:04:24 PM »

Haven't gotten off the internet yet. Got sidetracked with some surfing and shopping and Ebaying and the cleaning still awaits. . . .
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2005, 03:05:47 PM »

Crappy mail call today.  90% of it wasn't even for us!

Heaven only knows where "our" mail ended up.

Looks like the USPS decided to start the holiday just a tad early!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2005, 03:26:28 PM »

Buxom is definitely a woman with a "nice rack" as Ron puts it.  I always felt zaftig meant more than just a nice rack...it could mean hippy as well...well-endowed in most areas.  Ample, even fleshy, but not necessarily fat...Anita Ekberg, Diana Dors, Jayne Mansfield, even Sophie Loren could qualify.  Zaftig beauty was sort of typified by the fifties ideal woman.

Nubile, I believe is always applied to a young woman of a marriageable age; having to do with marriage or of the age to be married, which I suppose means mature enough to be wedded and bedded and bear children.  Not necessarily in that order.

Jennifer

« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2005, 03:58:15 PM »

DR MattH, I very much enjoy your comments about the tv shows you watch.  However since it seems like many people here record the shows, maybe you could just name the show in the first sentence, while giving the info in another paragraph.  It's a shame to have to be vague!

Jennifer

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2005, 04:03:55 PM »

LOST SPOILERS

SPOILER ALERT -- re: "Lost"

After having read a few items on the internet about last night's show, why are we presuming that Shannon is dead but that Sawyer isn't?

I know it seems certain it's Shannon...but does anyone have just the teensiest bit of doubt?

Frankly, I agree with DR Jennifer about last night's back story.  Shannon became a very appealing and warm character for me after seeing what she'd been through.  It seems MEAN to have offed her after revealing her to us in such detail.

Well Sawyer is more popular that Shannon.  Rumors have it she wanted to leave.  She was shot and seemingly died in Sayid's arms.  I think that people involved with the show mentioned it was a woman who would die (at the hands of another castmember).

Yes, Shannon's backstory made her much more appealing. But I think that was the point.  The reason we were touched by the final scenes are because of Sayid saying he loved her, and the troubles with her stepmom. I think the ending of the show was much more powerful because of the backstory that was told last night.

I am curious though if most viewers saw Jack passing her in the hospital. And if we are supposed to know that Jack saved his future wife and left Shannon's dad to die on that hospital table. I think it is totally fascinating how everything is related.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2005, 04:06:36 PM »

Here is a fascinating game we shall play right this very minute:

WITHOUT LOOKING UP THE FOLLOWING WORDS, post what you think they mean.  NO cheating.

zaftig
buxom
nubile

fat/curvy
big boobs
young, juicy and attractive (euphemism for something I can't say, given the family nature of this site -- let's just say "desireable")
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jennifer

« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2005, 04:06:36 PM »

Btw, since I did not watch LOST on ABC, I did not see the mention of the Lost Scenes on GMA.  Can anbody who saw them describe them here please. I checked on their website, but didn't see it there.

Oh and for DR RonP, isn't this what you just posted about LOST and Sawyer?  Did you see this article or are you in the writer just totally on the same wave-length?
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1299267

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2005, 04:09:43 PM »

Studly: Masculine and attractive; One with whom another would want to mate.

Well said!   ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2005, 04:09:51 PM »

Btw, since I did not watch LOST on ABC, I did not see the mention of the Lost Scenes on GMA.  Can anbody who saw them describe them here please. I checked on their website, but didn't see it there.

Oh and for DR RonP, isn't this what you just posted about LOST and Sawyer?  Did you see this article or are you in the writer just totally on the same wave-length?
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1299267

That's an article I've read today, yes.  It was the article that spurred my curiousity.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2005, 04:17:04 PM »

BK, I agree that "zaftig" is confusing and inappropriate when applied to Ms. Minoff.  As a person who could be described as "zaftig", I've always felt that it was a euphemism for "fat"; but that's just my issue.  Same with "Rubenesque", "thick", and "plus-sized".  Ick.  Nubile, however, implies that you want to bang her.  Forgive my bluntness, those of you with virgin ears.  Buxom just means big boobs.

George

« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »

Forgive my bluntness, those of you with virgin ears.

Umm...don't you mean virgin eyes ?? ;)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2005, 04:48:39 PM »

Most healthy Vibes to the Vix gang!!!!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2005, 04:51:45 PM »

The problem is "zaftig" and "buxom" have been co-opted (often by personal ads) as nice euphemisms for ladies who lean towards the large, so that probably colors a lot of people's opinions.

Nubile is often mis-used, but in your favor, BK. Most people think it means what you think it means.

Michael

« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »

In today's notes BK talked about being lax. Well I used to be that way. So I am glad to say that I am ex-lax.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2005, 05:22:24 PM »

SPOILER???  LOST The edited scene.

The scene that was cut was one between Shannon and her step-mom. At first looks like they are bonding over the death of her father. But it ends With the step mom asking Shannon when she was going to move out
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2005, 05:22:27 PM »

Good health vibes to VIXDAD!!!!!!

I had my own scare and had the full shebang of tests about 4 years ago. All the cardiologist ended up telling me was that my nomal is different from other people's normal and that I was out of shape.  I could have told him that without all the tests!

Hope it comes out as well for Vixdad as it did for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2005, 05:27:44 PM »

I wear a watch everyday. A citizen eco-drive. It's got a little solar cell so it never needs a battery- just a little sun now and then.  

I have a few necklaces I like and wear occasionally. I also have a number of rings that I like, but my fingers tend to change sizes as the day wears on, so they get very uncomfortable. Needless to say i don't wear them much.

My favorite ring is a ruby and pearl ring my grandmother passed on to me. The last time I saw her alive, she wasn't sick at the time, but she told me she was ready to join my grandfather and asked if I liked the ring because she wanted me to have it when she died.  It was a strange but comforting conversation.  I treasure that ring.  

MBarnum

« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2005, 05:33:51 PM »

Good vibes of healthyness to Vixdad! If he is half as fun as his wife, we certainly want him to stay healthy and happy for a long, long time!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #176 on: November 10, 2005, 05:35:58 PM »

Tammy Minoff isn't zaftig, but could be considered buxom and nubile.

Ginny

« Reply #177 on: November 10, 2005, 05:47:34 PM »

TOD - My favorite rings are my engagement and wedding rings, which I've worn continually now for almost 25 years.  The only time  I take them off is when I smoosh meat loaf with my hands.  DH Richard has bought me a couple of other rings which I wear, one at a time, on my right hand.  One of my favorites is 3 stones - amethyst between 2 blue topaz, colors I wear a lot.  Occasionally, depending on the clothes I'm wearing, I'll wear the pink cameo ring that my aunt had made for me for high school graduation from a cameo that belonged to my grandmother (who died before my parents met).

I have 2 watches that have multiple interchangeable bezels and one of those has multi-colored interchangeable bands.  So I can customize the color of my watch to match my wardrobe.

My ears are pierced, so I wear earrings every day - small ones that don't interfere with the phone, which is a big part of my job.  One Christmas I told DH that I wanted purple earrings and got amethysts surrounded with little diamonds - I love those!  After their father died, Richard and his brother took the 4 diamonds from his watch and had earrings made for me and my sister-in-law.  I got mine for my birthday, but my s-i-l's were wrapped and under the Christmas tree when their house was broken into.  The earrings were stolen.

One thing I've started doing, since working on fundraising with nonprofits, is to wear something philanthropic whenever possible.  Some days it's my Mamma Mia Angel pin (thanks, DR Jose), sometimes one of those rubber wrist bands (pink for breast cancer, blue for "Libraries Matter").  I have a couple of Lucinda pins that were both fundraisers for literacy.  One of my favorite nonprofits, Clothes That Work sells a pin that I like to wear, too.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #178 on: November 10, 2005, 06:01:54 PM »

Matt H as I did mention, I would have figured out the ending-just would have preferred to get there on my own.

From the perspective of a parent I found the very ending of the show almost as sad.

George

« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2005, 06:04:49 PM »

As for the official Topic of the Day:

I wear a watch...either my MP3 player watch that I got on eBay from England or my Timex Indiglo Expedition (European edition, also from eBay) that I wear when I usher so that I can see what time it is in the dark...sometimes you just need to know. ;)

When I went to buy my college class ring (for Western Washington University), I looked through the brochures and really couldn't find anything that I liked.  I knew that I didn't want the "traditional" type ring (I'd gotten that for high school), but I wasn't impressed with anything that they had available.  So, just to make a decision, I decided on this particular ring that was flat on the top with that had a nice design and a stone in it.  But it turned out that not only was it a woman's style (which really didn't bother me), but it was white gold with a real diamond and cost over $300!  There was no way that I could afford it, but as soon as the dealer told me that (and I realized that I couldn't get it), I instantly really wanted it and decided that it was the only one that I wanted. :( So, I looked through the selections some more and found a less expensive ring that was similar (flat top with a design but no stone) and I got it for about $100 or so.  I really like it and am glad that I did get it. :) I used to wear it regularly, but I just stopped wearing it a few years ago.  No reason.

I only have my left earlobe pierced and I have a small silver hoop for an earring.  I have several other earrings and studs, but I don't wear them regularly.

The only other piece of jewelry that I own/wear is an Until There's a Cure bracelet.  I got it in 1996 when I did an A.I.D.S. benefit in Tacoma and wore it for a while but I didn't start wearing it regularly in early 1997.  I've been wearing it ever since.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 06:10:14 PM by George »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up