Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HOME IMPROVEMENT  (Read 13391 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:HOME IMPROVEMENT
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2004, 07:30:10 AM »

Favorite one hit wonder: Shelley Fabres' "Johnny Angel."

I also loved Tab Hunter's LP.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 07:31:18 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2004, 07:31:54 AM »

Yes, Tab and George were/are members of the same community.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2004, 07:33:59 AM »

I will be growing back my mustache - actually started a couple of days ago. My character in SOMETHING'S AFOOT is described as "the man with the ginger mustache" (there's even a song about it in the show), so I guess I will grow a real one instead of hazarding a fake one.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2004, 07:40:01 AM »

Ind DR Ben, this one isn't in my collection. I merely found it on the net, and followed DR George's instructions for copying and pasting the image.

Could you print those instructions again? Thanks.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2004, 07:42:40 AM »

Really, now?  I guess I never heard that about Mr. Maharis.

The more important question is whether SHE kept the framed cover artwork that came with the album that I referred to a couple of weeks ago.

And I finally remembered the cut on that album that I liked.  He did a version of "The More I See You," which was the first slow version of that song I had ever heard.  After that I learned that that was the intended tempo, and the fast version (Peter Allen?) was the anomaly.

DR Stuart, I can't believe you never hear that about Mr. Maharis!

No, my sister didn't keep the photo that came with the album. She couldn't recall what had become of it. I am sure it was likely tacked to her wall at some point! I believe you can get his album on CD now from Amazon.com!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2004, 07:49:50 AM »

Could you print those instructions again? Thanks.

From the master (DR George) himself:

To imbed an image within the text of a post, you have to link an image that's already somewhere on the Internet.  If you quote my message, you can see the Internet link and code.

You find an image somewhere on the Internet, right click on the picture and click on "Properties."  You should see "Address (URL)" and an Internet address for the individual image.  If you triple click on it (assuming you're using a Windows-based PC...I have no idea about Macs), that Internet address will be completely highlighted.  I'd recommend triple clicking instead of highlighting manually, because the entire address may not show.  Anyway, after it's highlighted, right click on the highlighted area and click "Copy."  Then, create a post at HHW and paste the image link where you want it.  NOW THE IMPORTANT PART:  highlight again the entire Internet link and click the "Insert Image" option above...it's directly under the "Glow" option (fifth from the left in the second row) as part of the "Add YABBC tags" options.  

When you do it this way (as opposed to "attaching" an image file), you can preview it and see exactly what it's going to look like.  I hope this helps!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2004, 08:09:27 AM »

Lorraine Ellison -- "Stay With Me"

Debbie Boone -- "You Light Up My Life" (gag!)

whoever it was -- "Gimme Dat Ding"

whoever it was -- "In the Year 2525"

whoever it was -- "'Airport' Love Theme"

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2004, 08:12:00 AM »

From the master (DR George) himself:

To imbed an image within the text of a post, you have to link an image that's already somewhere on the Internet.  If you quote my message, you can see the Internet link and code.

You find an image somewhere on the Internet, right click on the picture and click on "Properties."  You should see "Address (URL)" and an Internet address for the individual image.  If you triple click on it (assuming you're using a Windows-based PC...I have no idea about Macs), that Internet address will be completely highlighted.  I'd recommend triple clicking instead of highlighting manually, because the entire address may not show.  Anyway, after it's highlighted, right click on the highlighted area and click "Copy."  Then, create a post at HHW and paste the image link where you want it.  NOW THE IMPORTANT PART:  highlight again the entire Internet link and click the "Insert Image" option above...it's directly under the "Glow" option (fifth from the left in the second row) as part of the "Add YABBC tags" options.  

When you do it this way (as opposed to "attaching" an image file), you can preview it and see exactly what it's going to look like.  I hope this helps!

Some site-masters take great offense to having us link to a photo on their site.  Many have put blocks up to prevent it.  Others will cut your link after they've discovered it.

Another way is to "copy" the photo and add it to your computer's files on your C:\ drive ("My Photos" folder).  You can then link to that with no problem, plus you can re-size the photo so that it fits within the acceptable parameters of this here site.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2004, 08:38:10 AM »

Thanks, Dan in TO and RLP.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2004, 08:51:15 AM »

Any site in the GeoCities family will not allow you to "hot link" - and yes it is best to check the "properties" to make sure we don't go into CinemaScope.  Any number over 500 in heighth and/or width might be a risk!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2004, 08:51:52 AM »

Re:  Richard Burton's A Married Man--his version actually charted, believe it or don't.

Chart guru Joel Whitburn is headquartered in Menomonee Falls, WI, the tiny town Betsy is from.  I had just discovered Joel's books shortly before getting engaged to Betsy, so when we were back there for our wedding on a lark I called his office and it turns out the entire staff went to school with either Betsy or her brothers, so they invited me over.  It was a total trip--a fairly small office stacked literally floor to ceiling with thousands, probably tens of thousands, of copies of Billboard.  Joel was out that day so I didn't get to see the super-secret vault containing his rare 45s.

I am a one-hit wonder fanatic (though some of these are actually two-hit wonders, or only-charted-on-AC wonders):

Bossa Rio (Sergio Mendes' spinoff group)--"With Your Love Now"

Lani Hall (Sergio's former lead singer with Brasil '66 and Mrs. Herb Alpert)--"Where's Your Angel"

Brent Bourgeois--"Dare to Fall in Love"

Nick DeCaro (great staff arranger at A&M)--"If I Only Had Time"

And in the beating a dead horse (and/or actress) department--fans of NPR should stay tuned.  There's going to be a major story done later this year perhaps related to my favorite posting subject.  I am currently sworn to secrecy but y'all will be the first to know.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2004, 08:54:14 AM »

NPR?  The left wing commie network?  I can hardly wait, she will feel right at home.

Emily

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2004, 09:00:53 AM »

I know I didn't get all of one of the THIN MAN movies last night. It was one hour, 45 minutes, and that's what I set the DVR for. Forgot that Robert Osborne talks two or three minutes before the movies, even into the early morning. Ah, well, hopefully, I got the others. I'll see when I get back from lunch with friends.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2004, 09:02:31 AM »

DR EMILY - what great news for Toronto!

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2004, 09:03:57 AM »

Okay I hope I can remember everything I wanted to comment on from last night's posts.

Congrats DR Matt.

DR Jane, I am SO sorry about Bogie.  I really hope the diet ... works. Let us know.

BK, I cannot wait to see what you think of Alias Season 3.  The good news is that Season 4 does not start until January.  So you will be able to catch up and then watch the new season on tv.  The bad news is that it's been so many months since Season 3 aired that I can no longer remember what happened. :(

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2004, 09:04:11 AM »

Shame George shame. Canadian group "Men Without Hats" are not the same group as Australian hit makers "Men At Work"!

Mea culpa! Mea maxima culpa! Mea maxima, maxima culpa (a Sweeney Todd reference)!!  In other words:  OOPS!!  Well, it was midnight:30. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2004, 09:04:31 AM »

Please please PLEASE let this rumour come true:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1094422212766&call_pageid=968867495754&col=Columnist974814650911

That would make my subscription worthwhile. The first in the series was the yawn-inducing Korean musical "The Last Empress." Coming up next? "The Rat Pack," with Dean, Frank, Sammy and Shirley lookalikes.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2004, 09:09:17 AM »

Please please PLEASE let this rumour come true:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1094422212766&call_pageid=968867495754&col=Columnist974814650911

Ah, DR Emily I saw this news yesterday and forgot to mention it.

I think it would be great if Idina Menzel did Wicked in Toronto. And since her husband (taye diggs) is doing his new tv show there, I bet it will happen.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 09:12:00 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2004, 09:11:39 AM »

Oh DR TCB that is an AMAZING story about your friend.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2004, 09:19:07 AM »

I'll be interested in reading BK's comments on Season 3 of ALIAS, too, but I'm not sure he's going to like it. It WAS all over the map, kind of struggling to right itself after the surprises and unexpected developments at the end of Season 2. Although its over-the-top quality is always enjoyable and I wouldn't think of missing an episode, I thought creatively, it seemed muddled in Season 3. Supposedly, Season 4 is going to steady the water and get back to the solid spy work and situations that made Season 1 so terrific.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2004, 09:25:43 AM »

I suppose we can add Richard Chamberlin and George Chakiris' albums to the mix.

Movers are here and have begun to box.  And I do mean box.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2004, 09:27:38 AM »

Are they wearing boxing gloves and trunks?

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2004, 09:29:22 AM »

Do you know I just realized that I did not read the notes.  I think this is the first time I've forgotten.

I guess I need to remedy that now!

Ben

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2004, 09:46:56 AM »

Well, I had a productive lunch. I went to Footlight and found a copy of Golden Rainbow w/Mr. Lawrence and Miss Gorme for $4 (four) dollars. It's missing the book but it's got the back insert tray w/the 16 tracks listed so I'm happy. I also found for $4 dollars the World Premiere London Cast Recording of Doctor Doolittle. That one slipped by me. I didn't hear of a stage version of Doolittle. Again, no book, but so what. And finally, there was a promotional CD from Sh-K-Boom of Bare, the new "pop" opera. I don't know if it's the entire show (11 tracks) and it, too, is missing the book but I got them all for $4 dollars apiece. I just peeled off the $4 sticker from Golden Rainbow to find the original sticker price of $23.95! Yikes!

I have my listening this afternoon :-)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 11:25:43 AM by Ben »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2004, 10:09:45 AM »

The plumbers have arrived and (keeping digits crossed) at some point today it looks like I will have hot water, and also that I'll be able to use my washer/dryer again.  Hoo and ray if it all happens.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2004, 10:19:04 AM »

Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, used to have two really great newspapers that I subscribed to.  There was the Menomonee Falls Gazette and the Menomonee Falls Guardian.  Both printed only comic strips, one funny strips and one story strips.  They printed both the current top strips and classics, a week's worth at a time.  They still owe me money for the rest of my subscriptions when they went out of business.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2004, 10:20:19 AM »

I cannot believe how hard it has been raining today.  My umbrella was no use (even though it was one of those big ones). I got soaked.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2004, 10:51:46 AM »

It actually rained here this morning.  Now the sun is coming out.  That's LA for you.

Ben

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2004, 10:54:15 AM »

I am now one day away from having read all the past posts (alliterative person that I am). I needs must read September 6th posts and I will be caught up.

It was good to see Jason back, although he hasn't been back since I've been back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up